1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1996 power stroke power problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, when on these hills what (in numbers!) are your RPM's? if you have 3.55 rear axle, that's a huge load for it. check the map sensor as tj said. What altitude is this happening at? Ditch the K&N and go for a Napa 6637

Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Dholt
New User
I will be pulling the trailer again this weekend and will get you all the numbers then. Thanks for all the great help.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I have a 3.55 rear axle and turn about 1450 RPM in overdrive at 55 MPH.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:44 PM
luthrobediesel
Senior User
black smoke means too much fuel and not enough air, so yeah try the map sensor and boost pressure since your air filter is new

Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dholt
I use synthethic oil, but I have not changed it in about 15k miles, I do keep it full though.

That's a lot of miles on your oil.
Are you getting the oil analyzed?
Do you use oil additives like Lucas?
If you are unsure of the quality of the oil you should change it.
The oil could be foaming if the additive packages have been depleted.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Alwaysfishn'
New User
Interested

I'd be really interested in what or how this turns out I to have the same problem I used to have plenty of power going up hills pulling a 22' boat up through the hills to the house.Then the same problems as he's talking about at first I thought it was low on tranny fluids but the tranny is fairly new and the fluids are good and there is no mods done on this truck

Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
X2 on changing your oil, even with synthetic, the oil in these motors takes alot punishment and if you don't have an auxillary filter and if you're not getting the oil analyzed then I would encourage an oil change, even if the MAP sensor is clogged

Old 12-24-2008, 07:17 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Alwaysfishn'
I'd be really interested in what or how this turns out I to have the same problem I used to have plenty of power going up hills pulling a 22' boat up through the hills to the house.Then the same problems as he's talking about at first I thought it was low on tranny fluids but the tranny is fairly new and the fluids are good and there is no mods done on this truck

I have the same issue....used to be towing my 25ft boat was no issue now it drops down to 20mph on hills makes me sad in the pants

Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 PM
stephen.south
Senior User
I've had the same problem pulling my Jeep up hills in Tenn. I actually got down to 20 MPH. So I stopped the truck put it in low gear (hubs unlocked) and still could not get above 20 MPH. Since then I removed the 10K resistor and it pulls better, but not like it should. I'm thinking it may possibly be my injectors going bad. I have sent off my spares to Beans and once I put the tranny savers in and tow up some hills, I'll let yall know.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 PM
stephen.south
Senior User
By the way Maverick, what is your t3 "get out of my way" mod?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Talking

I'd definately go for checking the MAP Sensor.... no boost pressure read by the ECM... NO FUEL to the sticks... can be bad on the upper end also... too much boost ( which aint likely with a stock turbo) will cause the ECM to cut the fuel back. TJ... now he lies to the ECM... probably has that regulator set to never let the MAP sensor see more than probably 15 psi of boost... thereby letting the ECM " THINK" that more fuel is a GREAT thing to allow.... I'm curious how he did that though... drop it in drive , stand on the brakes and trick someone to turn the regulator **** to no more than 15 psi or so? How would you do that on a manual?.... I can see me taking the hood off mine and getting / tricking my wife into riding on the engine while I cobbed on it going up the canyon road to build boost so she could twist the lil **** Ha Ha

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RMPC
I'd definately go for checking the MAP Sensor.... no boost pressure read by the ECM... NO FUEL to the sticks... can be bad on the upper end also... too much boost ( which aint likely with a stock turbo) will cause the ECM to cut the fuel back. TJ... now he lies to the ECM... probably has that regulator set to never let the MAP sensor see more than probably 15 psi of boost... thereby letting the ECM " THINK" that more fuel is a GREAT thing to allow.... I'm curious how he did that though... drop it in drive , stand on the brakes and trick someone to turn the regulator **** to no more than 15 psi or so? How would you do that on a manual?.... I can see me taking the hood off mine and getting / tricking my wife into riding on the engine while I cobbed on it going up the canyon road to build boost so she could twist the lil **** Ha Ha
After reading up on the subject I ran outside and ran my truck with and without the map sensor plugged in and it looks like I need to replace my vacum tubing...its pretty hard and crusty

Originally Posted by stephen.south
By the way Maverick, what is your t3 "get out of my way" mod?

stephen my "get outta my way mod" is my T3 front bumper

Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
stephen.south
Senior User
I like that, how much did it cost?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Hey SecondaryChaos... how do you hook up the 6637 filter in place of the factory box and k&n filter in my 97? Do ya still use the factory tube ? That tube doesn't look like it would flow for c_ _ p either.... Summertime is pretty dusty in the hayfields around here.. wonder what kinda lifetime and dusting out the 6637 would hold up to?... I bet I'd hear that turbo a lot more than I do with that big can out in the open.... sorry didnt mean to stray off this thread.....

Old 12-24-2008, 08:21 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stephen.south
I like that, how much did it cost?
It ran me $800 or $900 installed (I cant remember)....I didnt want to pay the ranch hand price (because they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and I wanted to buy from a Tx based company.