1955 272 Y-Block getting to hot (Need HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 272 Y-Block getting to hot (Need HELP!!)

Guy's I need some idea's. At first I thought I had a fuel problem b/c it acted like it was trying to vapor lock on me after I drove it and parked it. The temp would go up as it set and I would start to drive it and it would take what seemed like forever for it to come back down so I figured it was trying to vapor lock b/c ot that. So I put another new inline fuel filter on it and I took the thermistat out of it b/c I new it would run cool then. Well it didn't help any at all. The temp still goes up to far for me and it done it 2 times today (seemed like trying to vapor lock on me). It does it driving down the road to sometimes. As soon as you start it up and drive it while it is cool it runs like brand new. What can I do to make it run a normal temp. Radiator is clear and no thermistat "Whats going on"!! The only thing I can think of it does have striaght water in it. Would it help if I mixed some antifreeze in with it. I figured it would run cool no matter what with the thermistat out. Plus I don't want to run the motor very much like this b/c I'm affraid of doing some damage to it from the heat. I believe this will fix my gas problem to by getting the temp back to normal. As far as fuel goes I have cleaned the gas tank out, put a new fuel pump on and another inline filter and cleaned the card out and put it back on and blowed my fuel lines out. So my fuel system is clean. So I need some help with the temp problem now. ANY HELP would be Great. Thanks

Scott B.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Oldmics
New User
I would install a new thermostat and see if that helps.Mr Gasket sells a large oriface thermostat which I recomend.

I have to look up the part number to share with you.

Its possible that the coolant is now flowing too rapidly thru the system and not allowing the radiator time enough to do its job.

Installing the thermostat will slow the flow down.

Whats the status of the engine? New rebuild,tired old machine,whatcha got there and what kind of vehicle is it in?

Probably be a good idea to install a temperature gauge to see exactly how warm it is getting.Cant trust some of the old factory dash units.

They can read overheating and the temp may still be fine.

Oldmics

Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
restoringmy46
Elder User
I know this is a truck forum but it is a 55 ford fairlane. It's a show/driver car. The car it's self has 66,000 original miles on it but the motor has less then 3000 miles on it. It was rebuilt years ago but we do start it through the winter but we only get it out during the summer for the car shows or Sunday driving. I have some pics of it in my gallery. I'm trying to keep it as original as I can but I might have to put a extra temp gauge in the car. I tested the old thermistat out of the car and it did work but it has been in there a long time but I will put a new one in there. I have a Auto zone or Advance close to me so what temp. level do you recomend to run in a Y-Block. Would a 180 or 190 but to hot for it. Thanks

Scott B.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

A couple of things you need to check.

Are you getting high under hood temps?

Also is your radiator been checked? Maybe it's either plugged externally and/or plugged internally and cannot keep up with the engine. You may need to remove it and have it re-cored or at least cleaned out.

Is your fan big enough, is there a fan shroud, and is the belt tight? Driving down the highway at a "normal" speed would tell you probably. (you might hear the belt screeching) Also your generator might not be putting out max power since both run off the same belt etc....

If you have hot air flowing out of the radiator (once warmed up), your T-stat is probably opening. Don't put more than a 7psi cap on your radiator by the way.

I would be willing to bet your radiator is plugged either internally and/or externally. You shouldn't even need a fan when cruising down the highway. If it's getting hot going down the highway, you might have a plugged radiator or a plugged engine, heads, pump, etc... (check the timing too)

Cheers,

Rick