N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Off Topic kinda

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off Topic kinda

So yall have seen my Lincoln. It runs and drives now!!! But... Doesn't like to stop! We've determined its the booster. The booster and master are one unit in that car. I'm looking at $446 for a rebuilt one online plus $200 core and a minimum of $360 to have mine rebuilt! Any ideas on where I might be able to find a used one or a cheaper one would be great!!!

Thanks

Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year Lincoln? What Model? Continental, Mark XXX, or other? Motor size might help too..... We can help search for a good used unit? Or, maybe someone can give us a reasonable place to rebuild. Heck, some of us may have even done this before. How hard would it really be?

But, I think we need at least that or some pictures. ;-)

Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
There is a big rubber diaphragm inside the can that works the vacuum end that gets old and cracked.

The master cylinder is standard brake parts. You likely can order a kit through NAPA and rebuild it yourself for less than $50.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I would also check with Bill (numbersdummy). He can get you all the part numbers you need. He used to be a Ford parts manager and knows this stuff better than anyone. Between Clint (willyB)'s advice and Bill, you will find what you need. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Mecinoid- It is a 1960 Lincoln continental it has a 430 motor. pics and info are in my profile.

***** B- I have searched and searched and have not found a rebuild kit for it. Nor would I feel confident to rebuild it myself. It is also my understanding that there is a large spring in it and if you don't use the right proses of taking it apart that spring will leave on its own and possibly hurt something.

Karl- Thanks for the ideas if yall think of anything els let me know...

Thanks all.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
You need to find an old school NAPA store that still has the paper catalogs -

And springs that fly apart with parts going everywhere is part of the excitement of working on vintage autos.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'll check tomorrow at my NAPA and see what they can come up with for you.

Thing is, some of those older things were only made for a few years...it could be like a "hydra-vac", where you have to search high and low for parts that work for a rebuild, or bite the bullet and spend the $$...I'm not sure in your case.

Thing to watch out for, even if you get a rebuild kit for something that has sat for sooooo long, is pitting in the bores...no kit will cure that, things have to be re-sleeved for continued use.

Another option, since you'll be doing some customizing anyway, would be to take some pics with you to a wrecking yard, and see what else will fit in...no reason you can't use a setup off a '88-whatever, or a 69-whatchamacallit.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Good ideas guys... If i had more $$$ i would just do a disk brake conversion. They have them online for $1500 and thats for everything except for hoses!!! Oh-well. Let me know what you find Mike...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
You don't have to spend that kind of $$ (although the outcome would be nice ), but for about a 100 bucks in new/reman parts of a different auto, you could probably be in stop-city before too long...about the only fabbing would be brake rod (might need longer/shorter)...reflaring some lines, and possibly a little fab to see how thing hook up to your pedal.

If you're on the cheap like me, there's always a way

I'll still check with NAPA in the morning and see what they say

Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Don't mix disk and drum master cylinders - they have different volumes and pressures. If you run drums, make sure you stick with a master cylinder for drum brakes.

I expect one out of a pickup would work fine.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I haven't had a chance to stop in to NAPA yet, didn't want you to think I forgot about you, but should be in there tomorow and talk with them and see what's up.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Thanks Mike!!!