Well hello all. I just bought a 57 F-100 Custom Cab, good shape over all except for a motor that is toast. Think I got a pretty good deal, now I need to decide whether to make it an official project or sell/part out for another ongoing project. I know nothing about these older Ford pickups other than than make some sweet rides when done. Any help as where to dig up info would be appreciated.
First questions are....
1. Any guesses on what motor it may have been? or how to find out?
it is a V8 two barrel carb-holley, truly toast, big hole in side of block.
2. I think it has a 4 speed; feels like it- floor shift, any idea on what tranny or how to tell? Did they put 4 spds in these?Yup 4 speed
3. What motors will work. And or motor manual trans combos, cheap reliable and readily available?
4. Would a going to a small block chev motor and tranny be a easily doable alternative. (leave it alone you blue oval purists)
5. What are the best options for tightening up the front end
6. Power steering
7. Better brakes
8. Good links here to read?
Yes, I know how to use the search function and will be doing so. But I thought if anyone had some of this info readily avail and was willing to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'll get picks up shortly.
Ray, Not sure I'd part it out. Are you going to put a price on the entire truck. If you decide to part it out I may be looking for a good cab. What part of Utah are you in. Take the VIN number off the glove box. Ford-Y-block.com (John Mummert) have a lot of good info about the engines. It is either a Y-block 272 or 292. Don't think I'd go the Chevy engine route.
Thanks for the info Vern. I do not know what to do with it as of yet. I have a good bud who's a big ford guy but he has not had time to come check it out yet. It is a great looking little truck, in good shape for 50 yrs old and just could not -not buy it, figured what ever I did with it I could always at least get my money back. In a perfect world I would like to make it mine, I just don't know if I can make it happen with all I have going on. I'll watch this thread and post progress/changes here.