Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Amarillo

Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 AM
JWILL460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amarillo

Howdy all. My wife and I are looking at moving into the Amarillo area from here in WV and would like to know all the info you guys from Amarillo can share with us on good areas for affordable rent yet suitable for a family. As well as what the towns economy is like for jobs(for her). Does Texas or certain counties there in have vehicle inspections ie: sniffer test, cats, safety? Any good health food stores, farmers markets or produce dealers outside the regular grocery store chains? Hows the fuel sources and cost looking as compared to other parts of Texas. Any gas shortages like here you cant get 87 regular hardly anywhere its mostly all out after the first few days of having the tanks filled. Activities such as rodeos, fairs, festivals and so on? I appreciate all the info and help. Thanks

Jwill

Old 05-02-2008, 09:19 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

I'm not from Amarillo but I'm one of the closer members here nearly three hours away in Lubbock. I have a friend that's living here now that spent several years up there so I'll see what specific information I can get for you.

Right now we're paying just under 3.50 a gallon and I haven't come across a shortage ever. Around this part of the state (keeping in mind that three hours in TX is a CLOSE trip) there's enough oil being drilled and refined that we seem to be on the low end of the cost scale *which hurts to say right after saying 3.50 a gallon!!!*

The largest grocery store chain is going to probably be United Supermarkets and they're a different kind of animal. Local to west TX with their HQ here in Lubbock they have a different mind set about business than these enormous chains like Albertsons and HEB etc. I can't say I've ever shopped any of their Amarillo stores but I do know what kind of merchandise they handle as we distribute to them. The larger stores *market streets* have larger organic sections throughout the stores and they all really seem to be pretty picky about their produce, deli, and meat departments. If there's something specific that you want the store managers will check and see if they can get it for you from one of their distribution centers, all you have to do is ask. Oh, and they carry your groceries out for you free of charge... I can't imagine that there aren't farmer's markets and produce stands around there. Here there are people that just set up stands in front of their houses and lay out the produce and a money box and use the honor system basically. If you take it, pay.

I believe the ABC rodeo makes a stop up there either right before or shortly after it comes to Lubbock in April and the South Plains Fair rolls through here in late September I believe so approximately the same for that. I've noticed that most performers that will come here will also go to Amarillo, people like Jeff Dunham (who will be here in a month's time and Amarillo the following night) and I think Carrie Underwood has Amarillo on the itinerary but I honestly haven't checked.

As far as jobs, just depending on what she does. My friend had three part time jobs because he loved them all and wouldn't give them up. One in a hospital coffee shop, one in the deli at United *which was ranked as one of the top ten places to work in tx*, and one doing something with kids. If their cost of living is comparable (which I believe it is) a 1 bedroom apt should run between 350 and 700 depending on what amenities etc you want and it would go up from there. For buying a home, neither my friend or I would be of any help there.

I really am not big on this grocery chain though it might sound otherwise. They tend to hire young students part time which always looked to me like a dodge on having to provide benefits. *shrug* just my personal opinion though. Oh, there's not a state income tax either and I don't remember what minimum wage is but entry level office work is around 7 or 8 an hour depending on the job. I'm living on my own feeding a gas guzzling 79 f100 on just a little more than that. If I hadn't been stupid in my college days I'd be sitting pretty making just under $20 a year w/o a problem. I hope that puts things in perspective for you. If there are any other questions you have feel free to give me a shout and if I don't know I can always ask someone who's lived there.

Oh, and potentially welcome to TX!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
JWILL460
Junior User
Thanks for all the info you could dish out I appreciate it all. How about state vehicle inspections? The ol' K5 probably wont be passing any sniffer inspections due to its lack of cats and smog equipment. Also its tires sit outside the wheel wells here and so it wont pass inspection. I'm originally from Iowa so the great plains are beckoning me back. West Virginia is beautiful don't get me wrong but we want something warmer year round.

Tell me about Lubbock its on our list of places to check out as was Amarillo,Abilene and Midland/Odessa. I went through Amarillo when a long while ago. Always loved NW Texas.

Jwill

Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWILL460
Thanks for all the info you could dish out I appreciate it all. How about state vehicle inspections? The ol' K5 probably wont be passing any sniffer inspections due to its lack of cats and smog equipment. Also its tires sit outside the wheel wells here and so it wont pass inspection. I'm originally from Iowa so the great plains are beckoning me back. West Virginia is beautiful don't get me wrong but we want something warmer year round.

Tell me about Lubbock its on our list of places to check out as was Amarillo,Abilene and Midland/Odessa. I went through Amarillo when a long while ago. Always loved NW Texas.

Jwill

I"ve lived in Lubbock going on 16 years.
its not a bad town I've seen better and I've seen much worse.
If I had to choose Lubbock or Amarillo i'd pick Lubbock..

Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

as far as inspections, i only know that mine passes... they check for exhaust leaks and i believe that they check for cats etc but only if the vehicle came equipped with it originally... i think.... i'm not much help on that. might try general conversation and hit up the TX guys in there. unfortunately i'm sad to say the TX chapter died down quite a bit a long time ago.

i prefer the country so i don't really think anyplace in the city is all that great but you can tell the good neighborhoods from the bad pretty easily. generally what you hear is stick to the west or southwest sides of town and you should be fine. again, just depends on what you're comfortable with and what price range you're looking for etc. i've really never tried to move somewhere i didn't already know about so i really may not be much help at all.

Search this Thread