Question about goosneck trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Question about goosneck trailer

It has the adjustable up and down hitch, how tight for the bolt that pushes on the slider?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tight, they will slide down with a load on if you don't have them very tight, sucks, but that's they way they are.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ah how can it slide???? It has a pin that goes through the hole on the side? All this bolt and jam nut do is keep the post from wobbling. And the word tight may mean different things to different folks. That is why torque wrenches were invented. What torque on the bolt that pushes on the tube?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, you have a different style, which sounds to be better than the ones I have around here, all of mine have two set screws, nothing more. I realize that it can be different, but when the manufacturer does not give a spec, or it is inadequate, then what? Also, the set screws I have anyway are square headed. You did not specify any of that info in your request, so don't get pissy when the info is not a match since there obviously is differing styles that even I had not seen over the years.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:05 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pin holds most of the weight, but you still need the bolt to keep things from moving. The bolt should be tight, but not air-gun tight. Use a nice sized wrench to pull it as tight as you can make it, but don't worry about getting it up to a certain torque. That bolt presses into the hitch tube so theoretically if you made it tight enough you'd actually bend the hitch!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:15 PM
okfarrier
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just seen the pin in the hitch on the newer trailers,I'm guessing its a newer better idea.As far as the old style with just lock bolt I dont think it can be too tight,the tighter the better.