Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermactor delete help ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
graybird78
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thermactor delete help ?

i own a '90 f250 with 5.8 and 5 speed. problem is that the thermactor system is malfunctioning. biggest problem is the thermactor is causing the engine to back fire through exhaust on decel. i know it's the air pump system causing the back fire.

have been told that there is supposed to be a way to bypass the tab and tad solenoids. trying to figure out a way to bypass or delete the system. i want to trick the tab and tad sensors into thinking that the thrmactor system is still hooked up, but can not detect that it does not function.

too many parts of the system are broken and non-functioning. some parts are still available at very high cost, some parts no longer exist. don't want to have to go to junk yards for junk parts.

the plus side of getting rid of all of this is - the engine would be easier to work on. truck is used primarily for pulling 26' camper and hauling things; not a daily driver. any help with this asap would be greatly appreciated, as i am trying to take care of this before our camping vacation the 2nd week in may.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
Just rip it all off and plug the vacuum lines and exhaust, problem solved.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM
dkhollins
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to do the same thing with my camper hauling F350 with a 460. I have found you can get resistors from rjminjection.com to trick the computer into thinking they are removed. They were only $3 or $4 each. They also have the EGR delete things as well.

According to my research, you can remove them and just get a check engine light but the engine will run the same. Just remember to close off any OPEN vacuum opening when doing so with some vacuum caps you can get from the parts store.

My camping trip is in June, good luck!