1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transfer Case.........Lube????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Mike8623
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transfer Case.........Lube????????

I don't use my 4x4 much........but sometimes when I do........I have a hard time getting it to shift from 4x4 high to regular 2 wheel drive.............I've noticed there is a a kinda long tube under the truck that moves when you shift in and out.............is there a lube location on this thing........or anyone with an idea............it's not a bad deal but a little of a pain in the butt. also sometimes when I go in or out of 4x4......the light doesn't come on.........sometimes it does............

Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can try spraying silicone on all the pivot points and work the lever back and forth. Don't use heavy greases or oils, the dirt will collect and make it bind even worse. It's best to remove the linkage, clean it up and apply a light coating of lube.

My truck is a little stiff to move too but i discovered that it shifts much easier in neutral. I let the truck coast to a stop in neutral...no brakes...wheels straight ahead. This relieves the drive-line wind-up...the biggest reason for a difficult lever. I put a little pressure on the lever just before it rolls to a stop.....pops right in/out. My light doesn't work either, someday I'll fix that LOL. The sensor is right next to the shift linkage where it enters the t-case.