Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans temp probe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans temp probe

Where do most people put the probe? I thought it when in the pan but the place that did my trans said put it in the line running to the trans cooler...

I dont even have a port on my trans pan to put the probe in Im told, so I gotta figure out what I need to do.

Options are
1. take the pan to get drilled and taped
2. put in the line like I was told by my trans shop (no idea how to do this though)
3. drill and tap myself and hope I dont break anything.

Thanks in advace

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
John311t
Postmaster
You place the probe in the test port on the drivers side of the transmission. There is a plug you remove and you install the probe right inside of it. No drilling no tapping nothing. Someone should have pictures.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by John311t
You place the probe in the test port on the drivers side of the transmission. There is a plug you remove and you install the probe right inside of it. No drilling no tapping nothing. Someone should have pictures.
Thats what I thought, but Im not doin the install since I dont have the time with work and all and that was what I was told. Will make a phone call tomarrow then, Thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Thanks now I can show them EXACTLY where it goes.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris.....that is the easiest of the 3 to install with the normal gauges. Just pull the plug, screw in the sensor, and run your wires! Just have some rags ready to catch a little fluid!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Senior User
Anyone know what size/type sender fits/works. I have an autometer ultralite gauge with no sender/sensor.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Anyone know what size/type sender fits/works. I have an autometer ultralite gauge with no sender/sensor.
Call ITPDIELSEL and they will have one for you

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by UP_There
Chris.....that is the easiest of the 3 to install with the normal gauges. Just pull the plug, screw in the sensor, and run your wires! Just have some rags ready to catch a little fluid!

Yea well I didnt look it up and was just goin by what I was told.... not enought time off from work and Ive had the gauges since nov and still havent put them in so I sucked it up and paid someone.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
eatfish
Senior User
This is some information I got from FTE member Mark Kovalsky when asking the same question...

"I've measured temps in the pressure port, the pan, and the lines to and from the coolers all at the same time.

The pressure port and the pan temps are very close almost all the time. The line to the cooler will have HUGE temperature fluctuations. When the truck is under load and the torque converter unlocks you can expect a quick rise, often to well over 200F. What are you going to do about that? It's normal operation, but to those that don't know a lot about transmissions it sure can be scary. Adding a large cooler won't help this at all.

I like the sender in the pressure port. It gives the bulk temp of the trans, not the hottest spot, which to me is much more useful. The temp in the cooler line is the hottest spot, but that doesn't mean much for the life of the trans, the bulk temp does.

If you are watching temps in the pressure port or the pan, 60-100F above ambient is normal, with some higher temps when the truck is working hard. If you are looking at temps in the line to the cooler 60-250F above ambient is normal.

I will point out from 2004-2007 transmission cooling was my job. I ran many cooling tests on the road, on test tracks, and in wind tunnels with vehicles with almost 100 thermocouples. I have a pretty good idea of how this stuff works. I'll bet it's a lot more than people that build some VERY good aftermarket transmissions."

Old 04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eatfish
This is some information I got from FTE member Mark Kovalsky when asking the same question...

"I've measured temps in the pressure port, the pan, and the lines to and from the coolers all at the same time.

The pressure port and the pan temps are very close almost all the time. The line to the cooler will have HUGE temperature fluctuations. When the truck is under load and the torque converter unlocks you can expect a quick rise, often to well over 200F. What are you going to do about that? It's normal operation, but to those that don't know a lot about transmissions it sure can be scary. Adding a large cooler won't help this at all.

I like the sender in the pressure port. It gives the bulk temp of the trans, not the hottest spot, which to me is much more useful. The temp in the cooler line is the hottest spot, but that doesn't mean much for the life of the trans, the bulk temp does.

If you are watching temps in the pressure port or the pan, 60-100F above ambient is normal, with some higher temps when the truck is working hard. If you are looking at temps in the line to the cooler 60-250F above ambient is normal.

I will point out from 2004-2007 transmission cooling was my job. I ran many cooling tests on the road, on test tracks, and in wind tunnels with vehicles with almost 100 thermocouples. I have a pretty good idea of how this stuff works. I'll bet it's a lot more than people that build some VERY good aftermarket transmissions."
Great info. Mark definitely knows what he is talking about. Anything that guy says about these tranny's should be weighted very heavily.

Reps sent to you for digging that up. I have already rep'd him for his continued expertise.