460 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Heads

Question: Are the heads on an 80's era 460 the same as a 70's? Can i just bolt them on?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all years of 460 heads will bolt on to any year 460.

the early heads (up to 71) were closed chamber heads. casting numbers were C8VE, C9VE and DOVE. they also had screw in studs and rail type rockers

72 heads were the worst heads as they had open chambers. Casting # D2VE. avoid these.

73 and up heads were D3VE and they had larger chambers (95CC). these are the most common heads and were used up until the 460 got fuel injection. i think that was around 87 or so. they had bolt down rockers and stamped steel rockers.

there was also D4VE and DV8E heads, but they are quite rare, but are basically the same as the D3VE heads in all aspects.

there was also the cobra jet heads, DOOE with huge ports and valves and the police heads D2OE with larger valves and ports than the standard heads.

so depending on what year heads you are trying to swap, any pre-efi head will swap onto any year block. but depending on year of block, they had different heights, so you might have to change pushrods to get the correct ones. putting the early heads on later blocks will raise compression about a point and vice-versa for putting later heads on early 460's.

the efi heads are totally different from the carbed heads as the carb intake wont fit on the efi heads properly and as far as i know no one makes a carb intake for the efi heads yet.

rgds
Mike

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
bad96
Senior User
also the c-heads were from lincolns

i have a set of c9ve heads on a 79 block

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Thanks for the advice. The reason I know a guy with a set off of a 70's 460 that he has just sitting around. And I have to change my leaking head gasket next week, he was telling me that I could have his, shave it or do what I wanted to do so that I could just bolt them up after.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yessir!...you (or anyone else within driving distance) can have them...D3VE's...only missing one pushrod (I used it to make an ajustable PR with), the rest are up for grabs!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bad96
also the c-heads were from lincolns

i have a set of c9ve heads on a 79 block
Actually the C isn't what designated them as linclon it designates the decade, I.E. your "C" heads came from a 69 car, the "V" designates that the part was originally designed as a Linclon motor, yes that means that the DOVE heads are Linclon passenger car heads but were used on other ford products too.

Other then that yes you can physically bolt any of the heads onto any of the blocks. If you run D3VE heads (from 73 on) they are a direct bolt on replacement for the stock heads used through 1986 with no changes whatsoever. The early heads will most likely require you to use different pushrods (the rockers are slightly different) and will most definitely raise your compression, maybe to the point of requiring premium.

Originally Posted by mcdonaldm
there was also D4VE and DV8E heads, but they are quite rare, but are basically the same as the D3VE heads in all aspects.
Actually almost everytime those turn out to just be D3VE heads that have corrosion or junk making the 3 look like a 8, I have never seen D4VE heads although I would bet if you take a wire brush you will find out hey just like the D8VE heads people claim to have are actually dirty D3VE numbers. but there was some E5 and E6 heads that are identical.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
There are also D1VE heads, I've got a set of those, still close chambered.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Scot take a picture of that casting number on those 429/460 heads with a D1VE and post it could you? That and the D4VE heads are two that I are right there with D6TE and D7TE truck blocks. No reference to them in any ford materials and non that have ever found yet so if you have them I would dearly like to see it just for the proof they aren't mythical.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Sorry monster mustve been on crack for a little bit, they are def D0VE. Must've been thinkin of the block cast number it says D1V

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

LOL Scot, thats cool we all do stuff like that. Yeah D1VE blocks are the second most common block casting number for sure.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I have a buddy that has a bunch of 460s I'll see if he's got anything, I think I have heard him mention D1VE before. I've never heard of D4VE till you just said it.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
How would I know which Head I got on mine?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Check out this link it shows you where to look:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.c...nolocation.jpg

sometimes need to do a little cleaning to get a good read. they are always to the 'right' of the head if you are looking directly at it, which means on the driver side(powersteering) it is toward the back(flywheel) of the motor and on the passenger side(alternator) of the motor it's towards the front(water pump) of the motor

Old 12-07-2023, 07:22 PM
Wicknest79
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mcdonaldm
all years of 460 heads will bolt on to any year 460.

the early heads (up to 71) were closed chamber heads. casting numbers were C8VE, C9VE and DOVE. they also had screw in studs and rail type rockers

72 heads were the worst heads as they had open chambers. Casting # D2VE. avoid these.

73 and up heads were D3VE and they had larger chambers (95CC). these are the most common heads and were used up until the 460 got fuel injection. i think that was around 87 or so. they had bolt down rockers and stamped steel rockers.

there was also the cobra jet heads, DOOE with huge ports and valves and the police heads D2OE with larger valves and ports than the standard heads.

so depending on what year heads you are trying to swap, any pre-efi head will swap onto any year block. but depending on year of block, they had different heights, so you might have to change pushrods to get the correct ones. putting the early heads on later blocks will raise compression about a point and vice-versa for putting later heads on early 460's.

the efi heads are totally different from the carbed heads as the carb intake wont fit on the efi heads properly and as far as i know no one makes a carb intake for the efi heads yet.

rgds
Mike
Hey there late question to an old post. I have 460 block from a 96 f250 4x4 EFI truck.

All the head I'm seeing on summit and other places don't show my year when checking fitment.

Trying to figure out what heads I can use. Thanks for any help sir!

Old 12-07-2023, 08:04 PM
DaveMcLain
Fleet Mechanic
Received 324 Likes on 277 Posts
The production 429 and 460 heads all used the same valve locations, angles etc. There are differences in the valvetrain between the early(stud mount) and the later bolt down pedestal mount rocker setups. The bolt pattern on the blocks are all the same. Late 87 and up EFI heads have different intake and exhaust port locations which limits their interchangeability somewhat but only if intake and exhaust components are not also swapped.

Where it gets sticky is when it comes to valve sizes. Regular production pistons will usually only clear with the regular production(non CJ) valve sizes so keep that in mind if you're not planning to swap pistons.

Quick Reply: 460 Heads