Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Scrap Metal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Scrap Metal

The engine blew in my 1985 pontiac parisienne. So i took it to the scrap dealers, the girl weighed 3,460lbs. That was worth $527.00 . Anybody else making money?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry I Wish !!!

Every mothers' son is out there paying stupid money for scrap cars just to make a couple of hundred bucks.
None of the cheese eatin' mechanics that I know will even split it 50/50.
This is pretty much the way things get every time the price of scrap cars hits the roof. When the bottom falls out, I seem to get the real junk that's left over & nobody else wants.
OK, rant over.
AL.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

I'll be taking in my Explorer next Saturday . Maybe I should bump it up a week! I have a Crapalier and a Skylark to take in too, but they have no ownerships (yet) and the scrapyard needs ownerships.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Where do you live to be getting 300 ton? That's good money. It's around 200 ton out in Kingston area. Too bad to see alot of relics going to the wrecker. I can;t save em all and every Tom Dick and Harry are not only dragging in whatever they can find but doing it without a darn care for safety while doing so.
The MTO could have a field day out here if they wanted.
Anyhow the price is up but 300/ton is real good I'm sure you have even more crazies scrounging wherever you are.

TFC

Old 04-19-2008, 01:44 AM
tylstruck
Senior User
We recycle Aluminum to offset the cost of my meds. Popcans, truck grillls and anything in between that is aluminum. Alum is the lowest paid metal, but lighter.

Don't get much up here. 50cents a pound for a 4 hr turnaround drive. The local salvager is a crook @ 20cents a pound. The further south you drive, the better price quote you'll get.

Tyl

Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
scrap

At BEN-MET IN GUELPH OR MOFFAT NEAR GUELPH . MOFFAT YOU JUST HAVE TO FILL OUT A FORM, ben- met you do not need an ownership. Price here is 340.00 / ton .Ihad a gas tank in mine half full so they took off$$. You have to take your rims and tires with you.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

340!!!! I was quoted 250/ton for car body at Zubick's in London on Friday. Got the Explorer loaded and ready to go. That was one of the hardest gas tanks I had to remove, due to the skid plate. Didn't really help that it was already on the trailer either. Cutting some wiring harness out of it this week, and the upper intake manifold. Also need to pull out the centre console, my dad might use it with the leather power buckets in his 51 F1.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
Wink

Originally Posted by truckfarmingcanuck
Where do you live to be getting 300 ton? That's good money. It's around 200 ton out in Kingston area. Too bad to see alot of relics going to the wrecker. I can;t save em all and every Tom Dick and Harry are not only dragging in whatever they can find but doing it without a darn care for safety while doing so.
The MTO could have a field day out here if they wanted.
Anyhow the price is up but 300/ton is real good I'm sure you have even more crazies scrounging wherever you are.

TFC
I didn't like taking her. But she had other issues also. We took the seats ,battery,alternator, steering column(tilt) etc. IT STILL WEIGHED 3460 LB.
got a V8 SYMBAL FOR 1953(MERC) i think. goes on the front grill.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
Busy

BEN-MET LOOKED LIKE TIM HORTONS DRIVETHRU AT NOON TODAY.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dealford
Every mothers' son is out there paying stupid money for scrap cars just to make a couple of hundred bucks.
None of the cheese eatin' mechanics that I know will even split it 50/50.
This is pretty much the way things get every time the price of scrap cars hits the roof. When the bottom falls out, I seem to get the real junk that's left over & nobody else wants.
OK, rant over.
AL.
I didn,t really get the jist of your rant. But why don't you look in peoples backyards? Why split anything with a mechanic?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Monica82895
Senior User
I work at the landfill in town where I live and every day someone trys to take things out of our metal bin.Kitchen sinks,copper pipes,aluminum anything,and of course I have to tell them there is no scavenging and there is cameras on the drop off area.Its crazy,Iam not going to break up any fights between people trying to fish things out of the bin,but it may come to that,Ive never seen such interest before.Even barbeque lids,they act like they need one cause theirs broke off,but come on now,Iam not that stupid,lol.Anyway there is a lot of money to be made in metals,just finished reading about gold and other metals in cell phones...anyway have a great Monday everyone.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Price was down to 215/ton in London, but still got $427 for the Explorer. Took 1.5 hours from when I got there until I got back out, I was lined up on the side of the road for a little bit. Worse when I left, but the wait was worth it. 5 more vehicles to go, plus a bunch more miscellaneous.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Forgot to say, got more for it in scrap value than I last had it advertised for in 1 piece.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Arrow That's the difference...

Originally Posted by falconqueenD
I didn,t really get the jist of your rant. But why don't you look in peoples backyards? Why split anything with a mechanic?
Between driving a commercial tow truck and being independent.
Time spent doing "personal" work is limited/restricted so there's next to no time to fuss with scrap cars.
If & when there is time, the guys running around paying $100, 200 & 300 for scrap vehicles get the majority and screw it up for us workin' stiffs that would be happy with 1 or 2 scrappers a month.
There's more BS to the whole deal, but dispatchers complain less when one of our accounts gives a driver a scrap car and that's where the tight ask (sp) mechanics come in.
I did get a Caravan 2 Saturdays back. Had to pay $135.00 (darn lucky I even got the call) to get $400.00. Had to tow it to storage then take it away Sunday night and wait `till Friday for my money.
See............Another rant over.
AL.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

All that spamming must be stressing you out, Al.

Quick Reply: Scrap Metal