Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Scratch Scratch Scratch Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scratch Scratch Scratch Help!!!

I finally (after a year and a half) got the motor back in the 2002 project truck and managed to finally get it running. Problem is it is really hard to start. It takes 8 to 10 seconds of cranking to get it running, and then you can shut it off and re-start it in less than a minute and it still takes 2-5 seconds to start. If you leave it sit for more than about ten minutes it is back to the 8 to 10 second interval. Here are the specs:

2002 F-350 powerstroke
Rebuilt 2000 M/Y motor, bored .020 over.
New stock cam, lifters pushrods, low pressure oil pressure oil pump.
Reused old injectors but with new injector o-rings. Verified proper operation prior to install.
Van Turbo with stock compressor wheel and stock compressor housing.
Heads were professionally re-worked and all injector tubes were replaced and heads pressure tested.
New glow plugs.
New ICP sensor(I broke the original)
New water pump

I did NOT:
Dismantle the HPOP resivoir, HPOP, IPR, or FPR.

In troubleshooting I have:
Verified the HPOP fluid level. It is not, nor was ever, any lower than 3/4 inch from the top of the resivoir.
I have pulled to oil filter to examine both check valves in the oil system. A large amount of oil drained out in addition to the fluid in the filter. Both valves are present and are the snap-ring version. I believe them to be holding properly.
I have put my AE scanner on the computer using the live-monitor function. ICP pressure is zero for about 3 seconds then builds to around 500 where the motor then starts. At one time during the pre- running phase I observed a reading of approximately 2200 psi. This happened only once and has never happened since.
I did not check the IPR duty cyle at that time because I didn't realize the necessity at the time. I will try and do this tomorrow.

What do you guys think? IPR problem? HPOP? Is there maybe a fuel drain check valve and fuel is draining back to the tank? Seems like a oil supply problem to me.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles have you put on the rebuild? I would recommend at least 50 before I became concerned. That ought to clear out any air and allow you to troubleshoot.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
miker67
Elder User
None. Its hardly road ready yet. I will post some pics this weekend if I can get the time and get it cleaned up. You guys would flip your mind if you saw this thing. I have had every single bolt, fastner, wiring harnes, and a whole lot of other stuff of during the course of this rebuild. It went from a rolled over truck with a bent chassis and a cracked pistin skirt to where it is now. New chasis, new body. I think next rebuilder I do will be a little less banged up.....................

Right now the motor only has about twenty minutes of runtime and about 15 startups. Still priming the air out of the tranny and all the other systems. I didn't want to run it too much until I got those issues resolved. You think more run time will resolve it?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard after replacing injectors, lots of cranking may be req'd.

I think it should be ok to let run, provided you have good oil pressure, but i havent worked on these engines without help.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I agree with Mike run it for awhile then see what ya got.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Brand-new piston rings, on a brand-new cylinder cross-hatch hone, will not seal as well as rings that have seated. That takes a little time, and until they seal, your compression won't be as good as an engine with 100,000 miles on it.

Low compression equals less ability to set off the fuel (remember it's compression ignition).

Give it some time to seat the rings and let us know.

You DID "end gap" the rings, didn't you?

That air in the oil rails that you mentioned will be a factor, too.

Pop

Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Another vote for running it for a while. It's better to actually drive it so that it increases high pressure oil demand for the injectors and they can get a chance to purge the air from the HPOP rails. Simply idling and stationary will allow a very large air bubble to get compressed and just hang there in the rail.
And I wouldn't be surprised at a marginal IPR as well, that is bleeding off slowly, but not so quickly that the HPOP cannot keep up with it while running.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 PM
miker67
Elder User
Well fellas, y'all were right and I was just being a nervous ninny. I let it run for about 2 hours and it seems to have done a lot of good. Starts up quicker than my 6.0 at this point in time. Gotta say I love the sound of that van turbo. I can't wait to get it out on the road and pull test it. Hopefully, next month I will have it on a road trip with the new 5th wheel. Thanks for the words of wisdom, thats what I love about this place!!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:58 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by miker67
Well fellas, y'all were right and I was just being a nervous ninny. I let it run for about 2 hours and it seems to have done a lot of good. Starts up quicker than my 6.0 at this point in time. Gotta say I love the sound of that van turbo. I can't wait to get it out on the road and pull test it. Hopefully, next month I will have it on a road trip with the new 5th wheel. Thanks for the words of wisdom, thats what I love about this place!!
Where are the pics of the truck

Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM
miker67
Elder User
Right now the truck is jammed into the garage. Tomorrow I will try and DRIVE it out and wash it get some full length shots to post up.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
miker67
Elder User
Well fellas, as promised here are the pics.

Before:

Also Before:

And after:

Obviously, it is not done yet, but it is far enough along that I hope to have it into the body shop to get the fenders hung and painted within a couple weeks. I have an HB Steel replacement front end that will be going in along with most likely an 04-harley grill.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:30 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
THAT WAS A LOT OF WORK !!! Good job

Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

Good looking work there. My ain't quite that bad.(check my sig) There is a link in my gallery for my webshots album since the FTE server still won't allow me to upload pics.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:12 AM
bigjake0524
Senior User
Nice work on the truck. Must have taken quite a bit of time.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 AM
zack7.3
Elder User
Man, that looks like a crazy amount of work. I can see now why you were so worried about the start times. I give you two thumbs up on bringing a nice truck back to life.