Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumpers new stance

First are pic's of the new hangers:

And side shots of the new stance:

The truck is still loaded with what Dan brought down, but currently we have the rear trim line about 1 inch higher than the front...I'd guestimate (due to the rear springs) we'll gain another 2 inches or so unloaded.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking good so far. Nice to see it sitting fairly level instead of nose-high, that just looked like crap! Look even better when we can get some decent tires mounted on those rims I brought down and get 'em on there. That's going to be another expense that we'll have to plan for, as the 33's I scrounged really aren't in very good shape.

Anybody have any 33's they want to donate to the cause?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Looks good to me!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
NICE! So, now it's just got to steer and stop?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Steering is important - but you don't win by stopping! You don't win trophies with the brakes on.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
NICE! So, now it's just got to steer and stop?
There's still lots of little stuff that needs to be done, I'm going to check with my neighbor who does the Truck Pulls and see if he has anything for the steering, or knows where to getr a good deal on something, the local place in town didn't want to make a deal on our parts since they were most likely used and they cited liability issues selling/using used parts...I can understand that.

I might just go ahead and order the correct drag link, the guy at the 4wd shop thought, but wasn't rear sure, the lower (steering arm I think it was called) was the same for Ford/Dodge/etc, as long as it went on the Dana front end, he said it'd also be best to get a dropped pitman arm to keep the draglink as parallel as possible...anyways, there's still enough stuff to do before we get to that point.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WillyB
Steering is important - but you don't win by stopping! You don't win trophies with the brakes on.
Heck ya!

Also, if we pull the drums to eliminate rolling mass and toss the brake parts we might gain a 10th or two

Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TigerDan
Looking good so far. Nice to see it sitting fairly level instead of nose-high, that just looked like crap! Look even better when we can get some decent tires mounted on those rims I brought down and get 'em on there. That's going to be another expense that we'll have to plan for, as the 33's I scrounged really aren't in very good shape.

Anybody have any 33's they want to donate to the cause?
Ya know, thinking about it, I may have two 8lug wheels like you brought down with a different style lip on them, most of the chrome is gone though, I just used them for my trailer spares...pretty sure they are 16.5's...I'll take a gander out back in the morning and see if I can spot them.

Also, we have to be somewhat careful on used tires, unless we can see them mounted and aired up, we can't tell what the sidewalls look like.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Those are not 33's on there now, right?

The stance looks good especially if you get a couple of inches in the rear when all the parts etc are pulled out for what we decided we wanted.

Not only will this thing mud bog ... but, it should wheel pretty good that way as well.

I was looking at some mud bogging on YouTube. It get pretty serious, pretty fast. Here is one of my favorites to get us in the mood:

YouTube - Ultimate Off-Road

I just hope they were tearing up their property.

YouTube - 69 ford

And here is one for you hardcore wheelers:

YouTube - ford F350 tamiya 4x4 offroad mud in water

Actually, there is a lot to me said about using brakes while mud bogging to keep the revs up(power up) and speed down.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Positrac (traction lock) does not work in reverse - but it seems like a locker should. Does anyone know?

Also, those clips must have been from the middle west - we will have problems coming up with mud like that. We should start looking for spots now. You will know if it is a good candidate if there is several Jeeps stuck in the middle of it!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
If it's a air, electric or cable locker, yes. If it's a Detroit or otherwise Automatic locker I do not believe so.

I plan on going with LSD in the rear of my Jeep for nice on road manners and cable OX locker for the front to get me out of the nasty stuff. Too many times I've seen the air or electric lockers fail.

My .02

Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Just a thought - But since were going to see some load on those mounts maybe you want to throw on some gussets like:

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mecinoid
Those are not 33's on there now, right?
No, those are the wheels/tires that were on it when I picked it up at Clint's. You can just see the top of one of the 33's sticking up out of the bed in the pics above. I had them on the truck for a while, but one of them has a leak and kept going flat and the truck wouldn't fit between the fenders of the trailer with them on so I had to go back to the old wheels for moving purposes.

One of the unintentional benfits of swapping over to the later model front and rear axles that we installed was that we increased the track width by several inches. The downside to that is that it will no longer fit on the trailer that I've been using, but it should fit on the new trailer that I'm going to be building.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mecinoid
Just a thought - But since were going to see some load on those mounts maybe you want to throw on some gussets like:

That's probably a good idea, may as well do it to be on the safe side.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TigerDan
The downside to that is that it will no longer fit on the trailer that I've been using, but it should fit on the new trailer that I'm going to be building.
More...tell me more

Quick Reply: Thumpers new stance