1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

4.6L MOD motor swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:54 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryMc
Jeff, Good looking engine, How did you prep it for paint? and what kind of paint did you use? While you have the engine out go ahead and bring the frame down to Terry Mississippi and we'll slick it out to look as good as your 4.6!!!
I took the engine and transmission down to a shop I call on and used their pressure washer and some good degreaser and washed it all down. I taped all of the sensors to prevent water from getting in and washed it up good.

I used Ford dark blue, semi gloss back and some aluminum paint for the intake, all of which came from my local Napa and all are high temp. I think it turned out pretty good, could be better but I am pleased with the results.

Now that I have my new F-150 I could bring it on down. I travel enough with my job, I don't think my wife would like me to be gone for another couple of weeks.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by yotee
what year is that mod? is it a muffstain, or truck motor?s there any diff between the two?

mike
The motor is from a 95 Crown Vic, and I am not sure what is different between the truck and car engines. I look forward to getting this up and running!

Jeff

Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
tommyleea
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
The motor is from a 95 Crown Vic, and I am not sure what is different between the truck and car engines. I look forward to getting this up and running!

Jeff
Not sure how many miles on your engine, but you might think about doing the timing chain while it is out. I know these engines have a problematic rattle on start up from the timing chain area. I believe it is the timing tensioners. Just a thought, like you need more. Cheers.

Tommy

Old 05-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Turbokid15
Senior User
Do you know if the 5.4 is the same dimension. My dad was looking to put a supercharged lightning 5.4 motor in his 79.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Turbokid15
Do you know if the 5.4 is the same dimension. My dad was looking to put a supercharged lightning 5.4 motor in his 79.
I think the 5.4 is about one inch taller of a block to add the extra stroke. The Bore is the same on both engines. Right now I have about 3/8 maybe a 1/2 of room between the left hand exhaust manifold and the power steering gearbox. I had thought about a 5.4L as one came up for sale on Craigs-list for 200 dollars but after I got my 4.6L in, I did not want to mess with trying to repositioning the engine, as it looked like the manifold would be in the way. If I knew of a set of headers that would work then maybe, but I don't want to order a bunch of parts to only have to return them.

I would have liked to use the 5.4L verses the 4.6L but I was not willing to make any other modifications to get the swap done. I figure there are enough parts out there to make the 4.6L run real good and with the help of a little lower rear end gear I think it will work great in my pickup. I am really not looking for or expecting any better mileage. I want the ease of driving fuel injection. Plus this is not my daily driver so I really don't care about mileage in it.

If you have the 5.4L Lightning motor I would not be afraid to give it a try, it just wasn't for me.

Jeff

Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM
tommyleea
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyleea
Not sure how many miles on your engine, but you might think about doing the timing chain while it is out. I know these engines have a problematic rattle on start up from the timing chain area. I believe it is the timing tensioners. Just a thought, like you need more. Cheers.

Tommy
Nevermind, I think the timing chain problem is with the DOHC motor. Cheers

Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Elias
Freshman User
351Windsor for a 302 Help

can i do that swap without any crazy mods in my 86E250 ClubWagon? Its for sure not stock boys i think my 4bbl holley will bolt over too right?along with my headers?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Turbokid15
Senior User
Are you talking about a 4.6 into the clubwagon? If yes edlebrock makes a carberatued intake for the 4.6 and msd makes and ignition system to run the motor.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Turbokid15
Senior User
Originally Posted by tommyleea
Nevermind, I think the timing chain problem is with the DOHC motor. Cheers
It might be good to just check and be on the safe side. Timing chains normally need to be replaced around 90,000 miles so your pretty close.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:50 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Turbokid15
It might be good to just check and be on the safe side. Timing chains normally need to be replaced around 90,000 miles so your pretty close.
I am actually planing on running the engine for a little, hopefully then I can save some more money up and put some goodies, and I can see how the engine works and what upgrades I need. I plan to put some PI heads on and found a salvage yard that might have some for a decent price. Of course then with the head swap I would need to replace the timing chain and more than likely I will pull the whole engine down to rebuild it.

Jeff

Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good so far Jeff...dont toss any of the OE stuff away...never know when I might be looking for things for one...I hope the new truck does ya good...
btw...you ever hear back from the guy on the 65 red/white trk for sale up here last week...I didnt and am really irked at the guy for no reply whatsoever after 2 emails..

- cs65

Old 05-11-2008, 05:23 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by camperspecial65
looking good so far Jeff...dont toss any of the OE stuff away...never know when I might be looking for things for one...I hope the new truck does ya good...
btw...you ever hear back from the guy on the 65 red/white trk for sale up here last week...I didnt and am really irked at the guy for no reply whatsoever after 2 emails..

- cs65
I have no intention of getting rid of my "FE" stuff, at the moment I think my dad is going to give me his 70 sport custom F-100 and it is in need of some engine work. So I think the 360 setup currently in my 65 will be transplanted into the 70, and then I can start to sell the engine out of that.

I never have heard anything on that 65 either, must not be for sale anymore.

I had a pretty good weekend though, as I sold my 73 parts truck. I got a 100 bucks for what was left and I didn't have to haul it to a salvage yard. All in all, I got my 500 that I paid by selling parts. If I had more time I could have sold every last part and made more money, but I needed the room to begin the 65 swap so it needed to go. Plus my wife was really tired of looking at it, as I am sure the neighbors were too.

I had planed to pull the 360 out today and maybe get the 4.6L in, but I woke up with a pretty good cold and I have some business meetings next week that I need to be ready for, so I have been sitting in my house all day. What a bummer as it is a nice day down here. At least the sun is staying out late, so I can work on it at night and get something done. I would like to have the engine in and some of the wiring hooked up by the end of the weekend.

Jeff

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM
itsmywifestruck
Senior User
I sure can't wait to see this thing running. It is really burnin' the itch to get mine together with the fuelie 302.

ROb

Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by itsmywifestruck
I sure can't wait to see this thing running. It is really burnin' the itch to get mine together with the fuelie 302.

ROb
Do you have a 302 yet? I look on Craigs-list every day and there have been some decent mid to late 90's 2 wheel drive Ford's out here in Portland for really cheap, some as low as 500 dollars. I lucked out as the previous owner had almost everything and sold almost everything to me, I have found a few things I am missing but no big deal, but as in some other of my projects I would look for a whole donor pickup/car and rob what you need.

Once you get your 302 going make sure to post lots of pictures so we call all see how your project is going.

I really can't wait till it is all done and I can drive it.

Jeff

Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well guys, the swap has officially begun on the 65. The grill, core support and 360 with C-6 came out this morning. It was not too bad, I started at 6 AM and have everything on the ground by 11:30. In the past I have lifted the engine and transmission as a combo out and above the core support. It is fine with a crane but but I have done it a couple of times with a cherry picker and it is no fun. Plus I really did not want to remove the hood by myself so I decided to just slide the engine out the front.

By the after noon I had the 4.6L bolted down on the new engine perches and transmission mount. I also started on the exhaust manifolds and got the right side put on. All in all it is a pretty tight fit but I should be able to work those little bugs out. I was worried that the 4.6L valve cover would hit my big booster but since the engine sits a little lower than the 360 it cleared just fine. The left hand exhaust manifold at the moment interferes with the park brake cable so I need to get the relocated.

I did not get a far as I had planed but I am still very pleased with the results. The engine looks pretty good in my old pickup.

Jeff

Out with the 360

In with the 4.6L!!!

Quick Reply: 4.6L MOD motor swap has begun