Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Slip joint R&R Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Slip joint R&R Question

I got over my nasty little flu bug today and decided to spend a little time on the truck. One of my jobs was greasing the slip joint, and when re-assembling I noticed that the shaft was very particular about positioning- there seemed to be only one position that would allow it to easily slide together. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this?
I also had a bit of trouble getting the rear U-joint back into the yoke- I had to lightly snug the lower cap into place and rotate the top one in to get it lined up. I do remember the truck rolled back slightly- just want to be sure I'm not going to have out-of-balance problems.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a special keyed spline that means the driveshaft will go on like only one way. there are tales of members forcing it on with a hammer, re-splining the shaft.

You DID mark the ends with paint before disassembly, right?, don't think you mis aligned anything, but it it shakes, you'll know why.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:58 PM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do hope you marked it and put it back lined up as it was, if not it WILL (most likely) vibrate.
It wont go back on every spline, but it will go back on every other three or four.
I learned the hard way.....it still vibrates and I need to get to a shaft shop....NOT to be cornfused with a stealership..
Wish I was at Smokin.

Joe

Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
It was marked with paint before I pulled it out. I'm about 90% sure it's in right but with my luck...