2007 F-350 crew cab stereo build

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 AM
fordemt2001
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mooch nice setup any finished pics just a thought if your truck had the metal plate under the seat use it mount ur amps. that what i did i removed the hinges and got rid of the extra pieces then carpeted the main part that bolts to the seats, just a thought but very nice.

stev3-0 I had an 01 that didnt have the power rear power window and i had a systme in it. when i traded for my 06 i kept the system only to find out that the box wouldnt fit. I looked everywhere and noone makes a 12 in sub box to go behind the seat and accomodate the window unit. I have a procomp box and mtx 5500 series sub, so i got creative and did some measuring and notched the box to fit around the window unit. If u want 10in or 8 in there are boxes available but if you want a 12 you will need to get creative like i did.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 AM
stev3-o
New User
Originally Posted by fordemt2001
mooch nice setup any finished pics just a thought if your truck had the metal plate under the seat use it mount ur amps. that what i did i removed the hinges and got rid of the extra pieces then carpeted the main part that bolts to the seats, just a thought but very nice.

stev3-0 I had an 01 that didnt have the power rear power window and i had a systme in it. when i traded for my 06 i kept the system only to find out that the box wouldnt fit. I looked everywhere and noone makes a 12 in sub box to go behind the seat and accomodate the window unit. I have a procomp box and mtx 5500 series sub, so i got creative and did some measuring and notched the box to fit around the window unit. If u want 10in or 8 in there are boxes available but if you want a 12 you will need to get creative like i did.
Im looking at adding just 2 10's, i got the electric rear window. Ive seen 2 site, spl2k and supercrewsound.com any others? whats everyone running? im gonna be starting my build soon, so far ive got the amp rack done and staning the wood now

Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
spl2k did the box in mine, very nice fit and finish! I can't comment too much on the sound until I get my system tuned, but it does sound good so far! Sorry, I've been a bit under the weather lately but will post an update soon.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like an awesome install.

I had 2 12's in my 02, and want to put the same subs (eclipse) in my 06. I fabbed up my own box, but had to move the seat forward about an inch. I'm hoping I can do the same with this truck.

With only 1 sub, Why not use a 5 channel amp?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Wanted to put together an update on my install.
Some may remember that I was fretting over the cleanliness of the tweeter pods I chose to install to mount my Alpine Type X tweeters. I finally figured out how to get rid of an unsightly gap between the pod and the door panel.

Here is a shot of the "gap" on the drivers' side:

And a shot of the same on the other side:

Separated one of the horizontal supports on the back of the tweeter pod and got creative with a couple of strips of 1/4" MDF:

Now they sit such that they cover up the gap on the door panel:

The pictures don't do them justice, but I think they look quite finished and the lines blend well with the door panel.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Fabricated some mounts for the Alpine 1" tweets that would use the existing Ford mounting holes on the underside of the tweeter pod. This had the advantage of positioning the tweets a bit more on-axis than the quick-fix setup I had been using. Used 1/8" ABS sheets which scores and snaps very easily to make basic shapes.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Originally Posted by jake00
With only 1 sub, Why not use a 5 channel amp?
Almost had a JL 500/5 purchased but found such a great deal on the original JL slash amps through an authorized retailer that I could not turn down a little extra juice. The 500/5 would have given me a few extra watts for the front soundstage, but would have cut the delivery to the sub in half. I was concerned that 250W to the sub would not be enough.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordemt2001
I almost went right to the metal plate. Saw pictures of another truck where someone did the same and it just didn't look "finished" enough for me. I did not think of carpeting it, though; that sounds like a good idea! If you've got any pictures, I'd be interested to see.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 AM
fordemt2001
Freshman User
sure i can get u some will be wed or thurs im not off till then but ill get you a couple shots.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 AM
fordemt2001
Freshman User
heres the links for a couple of pics i took of my amps hope it works for ya http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...keremt/007.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...keremt/012.jpg

the wires are a little messy just havent finished hiding them. the cloth is a thick black fabric i picked up at wal mart and i glued to the plate the amps are held in place by heavy duty velcro maybe you can u se this set up or maybe it can help you out.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
I know this is an old thread but could you lead me to a place that sells the 08 tweeter pod.
The dealer only has them with the tweeter already in it and wants $89 each, ouch!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
mooch91
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
I know this is an old thread but could you lead me to a place that sells the 08 tweeter pod.
The dealer only has them with the tweeter already in it and wants $89 each, ouch!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately they weren't cheap, but not that much as I remember. I thought closer to $80 for the pair. Buying them "loaded" with the tweeter was the only option available. Try one of the online vendors Ford parts vendors for a better price if that's one you got from a local dealer. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Thanks

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
mooch91
Senior User
It's been a while.

Over the past few months, the F-350 has become a daily driver for me and I've had a lot more time spent listening and adjusting. After four years, I'm still not entirely happy with the system, but I continue to make changes and tweaks.

So over the past three years since I updated this build, a number of things have changed.

First, at some point I blew the woofers on the Alpine SPX-17REF set. I'm not sure if this was a result of the way I was running them, a function of the aluminum woofer cones, or if they were contacting the door panel when installed:

I've had an open return authorization with Alpine to send them back and have them looked at, but I never shipped them out. Knowing they are well out of warranty, I didn't think there's anything they would do about it, but I might just ship them anyway since they're no good as they currently stand.

I ended up at one of my local brick and mortar stores looking for replacements and ended up coming across a set of these:

For better or worse, knowing there was a lot of forum popularity around these speakers when they were first introduced, I figured I'd give them a shot. They were BNIB, heavily discounted, and probably the last pair available in New Jersey.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
mooch91
Senior User
I also built new speaker baffles (poly cutting boards do work well and are easy to cut with a jigsaw). In addition, I sealed and deadened my front doors heavily. Sealing required I cut three pieces of sheet aluminum in the approximate size of the hole, deaden them, and then screw them in to the door (using vinyl weatherstrip tape to seal beneath):

Couldn't do much more than this because the door panel hooks in through the remaining open holes.

Quick Reply: 2007 F-350 crew cab stereo build