1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Final Update: "Maybe this will do" The END?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Final Update: "Maybe this will do" The END?

So its true,The motor looks to be junk! He found dirt inside and says it was probably because it had a K&N (or similar) filter on it before I owned it... HE ALSO SAID THAT THE 6637 OR SIMILAR ARE OK TO RUN!!! The filters that have to be oiled let to much dirt through if you don't keep the oil on it!!!

So know what do I do?

A. Put a new/used motor in it for anywhere from $3k-$10k (i have no $)

B. Try to sell with a bad motor and still have to pay off my loan

C. Keep it as a lawn ornament until I pay it off or can afford to fix it

D. Drive it till it blows up, and possibly get a ticket for polluting (welcome to Ca.
E. Hire someone to drive it off a cliff

F. Wholesale it and get ra**ed
OR
G. Get out the high heels and start "working" downtown

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM
dadsgreenpsd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are your legs???

I think I would keep an eye on fleabay for an engine. My local salvage yard got 8 ambulances with 7.3's. they were selling the engines cheap (relatively), but they didn't last long.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Man.....I am very sorry to hear it. I would see about getting a remanned motor if I were you. There was a thread a few months back (that I thought i had saved but apparently didn't) that had links to re manufactured short and long blocks. They weren't cheap but I would do what I had to in order to get that thing up and running properly. It is going to cost you either way.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
I'm in the same boat and I'm going with D and then A....but seriously considered E

Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
deadeye01
Junior User
FWIW, I had to put a different motor in recently(cracked block), and I can't for the life of me remember where it came from right now, but it was a used motor, guaranteed to have less than 100k on it, free parts and labor for a year, and free parts for 3 years, regardless of milage. If (and that's a big if) I can remember the name of the place it came from, I'll let you know. So far, its been a good motor, but I've only be driving it a month on the different motor.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
dang Nolan, sorry to hear that.
Put some motor honey in it and sell it for payoff(J/K dont put any type of additive in the oil)

Try to list it and sell it for payoff, just tell the prospect that it has some problems.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Unfortunately enough I am too nice of a guy to sell it to someone els...

Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Man, that is real bad news Nolan. I hope the world turns in your favor soon. Keep positive, a solution is not out of reach. Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it sucks after all the time and money you already have in it to find out the engine is bad.
Personally, I'd always choose to rebuild the engine you have rather than gamble on a used engine. At least you know what you're paying for with a rebuild and have a known good engine when it's done.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Is the rest of the truck worth the investment?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
my $.02 Again

Perhaps a radical position, but I have been too broke in the past to pay attention. if it passes smog, then run it until it breaks listening carefully for very expensive noises. can't be too much wrong if it will still pass.

I'd want to see some physical results from the engine before I gave up. Like a cyl contribution test, wet and dry compression on all 8, oil pressure leak down test, oil analysis for bearing materials, and sound check for internal rattles that sound like rod bearings. Just want to make sure that the block won't get any new windows

Sorry I don't trust anybodies work anymore, especially stealerships that get to fix the expensive diagnosis's they predict.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
beer boy
Senior User
thats bad news.
we call it dusted. all may not be lost. stop running the engine immed.
invest some time. you have nothing to loose. pull the engine. set it on a stand. pull the oil pan and the caps. inspect the bearings. drop the pistons. your cheapest bet is to do a freshenup of the bottom end and re-assembleif you have the proper garage you may even be able to do an "inframe" rebuild. drop all the stuff in the way of the oil pan and do as above but with the engine still "inframe". there is no easy solution, sorry. but this is an option. you can do a surprisingly good job and get quite awhile more out of the engine. if its not dusted real bad then the top end (heads) will probably be ok. but if not the next cheapest is a rebuild. no warranty but the cheapest by far and the engine will be as good as new. hopefully the crank and other major components are ok. would the first stealership help youout because they misdiagnosed it? waste a few dollar and do an oil scan. it will tell oyu the state of how bad it is. but if its still running you dont have a boat anchor yet.
cheers.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aocabrown
I'm in the same boat and I'm going with D and then A....but seriously considered E
Allen, you and Nolan are not alone in this. There are plenty of folks out there that are having this problem, or about to.

Now Allen, there is a shop the sells remans right near you in Memphis. He sells on Ebay. You could save on shipping but will lose your **** on the stupid 9% sales tax. That's the price we pay not having state income tax.

Nolan, sorry to hear about that. You too Allen. Allen is almost close enough to help with a rebuild, but 3 1/2 hours one way isn't exactly right down the road.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Piotrsko- We dont have to smog our diesels (yet) but unfortunatley there are plenty of tree huggers where i live that would love to send my plate # to the cleane air commision and if that happens then they send you a nice little letter saying to fix it and get it to a state smog referee or I can recieve a HUGE fine... Also if that happens they are trying to get that kinda stuff to show up on carfax reports...

Dan- The rest of the truck is in good to excelent condition... She drives nice, looks nice, and everything works... She has a recent clutch and when I got it I serviced the tranny and the fluid looked good.

The way I look at it if I do end up putting more $ into it I might as well throw a new motor in it and have a truck that will last me a long time... I'm going to try and borrow $ off the rich aunt and uncle of the family and if I'm going to do that I might as well go for gold... Plus if i go that route I will get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. We'll see

Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Mike....I'm desperately trying to avoid the shop you are referring to.

Quick Reply: Final Update: "Maybe this will do" The END?