General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage....without the sugar coating.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the best things you can do for mileage is to stay on top of your brakes. Brakes WASTE ENERGY - they are designed to. They convert forward motion into heat through friction. SOMETIMES when they are not intended to....

A dragging brake can be caused by a lot of things - but ONE OFFENDER I ran into on my Ranger is nothing more than a "Collapsed Line" to the calipers.

Believe it or not, this can cause a pressure release issue in the caliper piston that robs a lot of mileage, wears out pads AND ROTORS, and you can usually spot the dragging wheel by touching your rims around the lug nuts to find which one is getting unusually HOT. (Just nod your head, I know this seems too simple to be true).

In "Unequal Braking Force" conditions you may find air in a line, THIS, or rusted caliper slides. Worst case is a dually rear end that has been incorrectly adjusted. I've seen smoke come from brake drums in that condition...

If everything is old at all four corners, they may all brake equally. Yet STILL be dragging.

Want mileage? Keep the brakes off when you don't want them to be on.

~Wolfie

Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
milage

Good thread men. I have an 02 f250 7.3 4x4 6 speed. Its been a good truck. Its milage is usually in the 18.3 range. I can just get 20+ on long hiway trips with light load and driving 65. For around town it drops to 15 or so.
I was wondering your thoughts on mpg and speed? Is there much savings if you slow down to 55 60 range? And what about towing? I have a 17 ft Whaler, nice boat but not that heavy. It gives me a milage drop for sure.
My truck is stock. In the past i have considerd changing the air cleaner assembly. It seemed to have a bad rap as being small for the engine size? Do you think that is worth the expense. Thanks men for the advice.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
jirwin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow- I was thinking about 4 inch exhaust and a diablo tuner in my 2000 f250 diesle. After reading your post it seems like a waste if my primary goal was to save on fuel. You sound like you know what your talking about, so what would you suggest.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
73sugarbear
New User
Throttle Response

Hi I was reading your rant on fuel mileage, I too hear the other brand stories, one Dodgem guy claimes he gets 18 MPG, empty, loaded or pulling a trailer! What a goof. Just like you can tell how good a driver is when you watch them back up you can tell just how well I person understands what it takes to move an object by how he talks says volumes. You must be a engine builder or a old guy like me thats be around engines awhile. Since your knowledge is what I am after here, I have a problem with my 02 7.3, very intermittly when I start it I only get 1600 rpm, lasts about five minutes and mostly during -32 or less weather but lately warmer. Driving 2 miles to a fire call at 15 mph really is a drag. The cam postition sensor corrected the stalling problem but not this. I to will not trade my 7.3 it pulls like a champ and we have some pretty good hills around here and most I can pull without shifting out of drive or even over drive. I like pulling my car hauler at 60/65 mph and some bow tie duramax freak kept nuging me on the flats so when it came to Sidling Mountain on Md interstate 68 we danced, I topped off and he was no were in site. Don't know what weight he had but he did'nt come up on me on the flats again. Any help on my low rpm would be greatly appreaciated.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,426 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by 73sugarbear
Hi I was reading your rant on fuel mileage, I too hear the other brand stories, one Dodgem guy claimes he gets 18 MPG, empty, loaded or pulling a trailer! What a goof. Just like you can tell how good a driver is when you watch them back up you can tell just how well I person understands what it takes to move an object by how he talks says volumes. You must be a engine builder or a old guy like me thats be around engines awhile. Since your knowledge is what I am after here, I have a problem with my 02 7.3, very intermittly when I start it I only get 1600 rpm, lasts about five minutes and mostly during -32 or less weather but lately warmer. Driving 2 miles to a fire call at 15 mph really is a drag. The cam postition sensor corrected the stalling problem but not this. I to will not trade my 7.3 it pulls like a champ and we have some pretty good hills around here and most I can pull without shifting out of drive or even over drive. I like pulling my car hauler at 60/65 mph and some bow tie duramax freak kept nuging me on the flats so when it came to Sidling Mountain on Md interstate 68 we danced, I topped off and he was no were in site. Don't know what weight he had but he did'nt come up on me on the flats again. Any help on my low rpm would be greatly appreaciated.
I did that run today myself with my 8K trailer, with the cruise contol set at about 68. od all the way. I responded becasue this morning when I was hooking up it was 35 deg outside. I was letting the truck idle as I was hooking up and talking with someone and the truck increased the idle because it was cold. Was reading the manual and it also says there is a cold weather stragey that will not allow much throttle for a couple of minutes until the oil gets a little warmth.

Could that be your issue?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts
Cody,
Excellent post, glad to see someone put down great information rather than alot of the tripe you see where people post just to see there own words. If you educate just one person it is worth it. Great job!

I'm trying how to remember to give reps, when I do you get some.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
73sugarbear
New User
I know about the step up idle and my dealer told me about low temp limiting rpm but my problem showed up the other day at 45 deg. It is in this area and probably some sensor that I do not know about.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Sangetsu03
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Ok guys and gals. You may not have specifically ASKED for this, but you have been asking about it for a long time.
"My diesel truck gets XX miles per gallon. What's wrong with it?"

Short answer is "Probably nothing......" if it runs good, that is. That being said, there are a lot of truths out there and there are also a lot of false claims that don't hold any water whatsoever. Stories like, "My dealer says that there is a new flash coming out to address mileage issues". Yeah right.

I have people come in and talk to me all the time about their Duramax truck that only gets 15 MPG and their friend (who drives the exact same truck) gets 35 MPH loaded with 80K lbs. in his toyhauler trailer going uphill both ways at 80 miles per hour....yadda yadda. My inital response is usually something along these lines:
First off, your friend is a LIAR. Second, I'd pay good money to see that Dmax pull 80K uphill....even on level ground at 80 MPH. Third, I don't know of any geographic location where you can drive uphill to and from where you're going to or coming from. Lastly, 15 MPG is really good for your 300+ HP brick that you drive around town to get groceries with.
With a deer-in-the-headlights look, they spout off about someone's uncle (or maybe it's uncle dad) that says they heard from their engineer buddy that there will be a reflash to fix the mileage and get it "where it should be".

Where should the mileage be? In short, it takes a SPECIFIC amount of fuel to maintain a SPECIFIC engine RPM at a SPECIFIC load. This is true with gasoline engines, diesel engines, and possibly even search engines (I threw that in to see if you were paying attention). Any alteration of the load or RPM will affect the amount of fuel needed to sustain either one. I will throw out some arbitrary numbers for you and I so we can keep it simple (I get confused easily).

We'll use a 5.0L naturally aspirated diesel engine (for simplicity).
This engine at 100% volumetric efficiency has the capability to move 2.5L of air for every ONE revoloution of the crankshaft. It doesn't matter how many cylinders or valves per cylinder, it has the capability of moving 2.5L of air at 100% VE. Take the diesel's wide air/fuel mixture operating characteristics and input an AFR of 25:1.....a little math later and we find that for every revoloution at 25:1 AFR uses .1L of fuel. On the other hand, diesels in modern light duty trucks do not live their lives at a steady 25:1. Some run a lot at idle (40+:1 AFR) and some people like to run near 15:1 (got smoke?). Obviously, there is a LARGE range of fuel that a diesel engine can use at any time. And also, since we have a naturally aspirated engine here, volumetric efficiency will not be 100%, but at the most 85-90%.

There are a lot of variables, but let's say that the injection rate for our particular engine is 20mm3 at 30% load, 2300 RPM, 70 MPH (Arbitrary numbers). Regardless of outside influences, this set of variables will ALWAYS require 20mm3 of fuel. A SPECIFIC load and a SPECIFIC RPM equals a SPECIFIC amount of fuel. Ok, yes, air temperature does play a role.....but it's not earth-shattering. Let's increase the RPM of the engine a little to 2700 RPM. Ok, now our speed has increased as well, so we need to increase the engine load due to wind resistance, rolling resistance, etc. 40% load at 2700 RPM equals 27mm3 of fuel per injection now. Over the long haul, 20mm3 vs. 27mm3 will net a significant fuel mileage decrease.

People ask me if putting on a "chip" (or something similar) will help mileage. I say sure. If you drive slower, don't idle the engine anymore, and if you NEVER exceed 10% throttle at ANY time. Guess what, save for some slightly higher injection pressure that may atomize fuel more effectively, the SAME amount of fuel is required to make the same load/RPM equation possible. I suppose if you towed your truck behind a Honda Civic you might realize some SUBSTANTIAL mileage increase. Buying $1000+ worth of parts to make your truck go from 15 to 15 (intentional) MPG is pointless. If you want increased performance, oh yeah, buy away!! But buying for mileage is, at best, a side benefit from increased performance.....as long as you NEVER accelerate quickly.
EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) takes away from combustion efficiency greatly. The whole point of this.....pointless.....system is to cool the combustion event and lower the amount of NOx (oxides of nitrogen) emissions from the tailpipe. Guess what....diesel engines require heat to ignite the air fuel mixture. Also, anything that gets in the way of flame front propagation in the combustion chamber KILLS engine efficiency. Oh, and have you ever seen the nasty soot that comes from diesel combustion that is cooled too quickly (EGR cooler ring a bell 6.0 guys??)? It's not good for anything besides plugging up tubing and introducing abrasives into the cylinders. So, we're adding more fuel to make up for our inert gas that is slowing down our flame propagation........ makes sense to me. NOT.

Diesel Particulate Filters and the related programming/fuel injection that goes along with it introduces us to a new set of variables.....dumping raw fuel into the exhaust to superheat and "burn off" soot. This also makes a lot of sense.....let's burn way more fuel to reduce the amount of emissions. Huh? Something is backwards.
The ECM is requesting the injectors to fire once on the exhaust stroke to introduce raw fuel into the exhaust stream. The DOC (diesel oxidizing catalyst) collects this fuel and begins to glow due to the combustion that is now taking place inside. This superheated exhaust is directed into the DPF (particulate filter) in flame form, burning off the soot accumulation. Once the ECM is happy with a certain amount of backpressure between the DPF inlet and outlet, regen stops and we're back to making 350 HP. 350 HP out of a 6.4L diesel with no black smoke!!?!?!? That's what the filter does!!!
This won't be the last bit you hear from me.......It's been building inside ever since the LB7 Duramax was replaced with the LLY and the customers that "traded up" would always come in with this one; "I used to get 17-19 with my old truck. This one only gets 15." My response...... "You're paying for the increased HP."

If you think I'm some eco-**** tree-hugger, you're mistaken. I am the proud owner of a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke. Would I "trade up", not on your life. I haven't left it stock, and I haven't lost mileage. But then again, I BOUGHT A TRUCK!!! I use it a lot to pull my wife's horse trailer (6 horse) and livestock. If I didn't need a truck, I wouldn't own it....I'd have a Pinto.
Peace.
Oh, and stay tuned for the next installment.
The only mistake I can find is your defining NOX as inert. They were originally called "toxic oxides of nitrogen", because many of them are indeed toxic. Do you really think that car manufacturers just added NOX reduction systems to dirty up your engine and increase fuel consumption?

If you want to increase your mileage by ten or more percent, just drive ten or more percent less. Take the thousand dollars you were going to spend on a chip and buy a bicycle. Not only will you save on fuel, you'll probably lose a few pounds and extend your live by a decade or so.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu03
The only mistake I can find is your defining NOX as inert. They were originally called "toxic oxides of nitrogen", because many of them are indeed toxic. Do you really think that car manufacturers just added NOX reduction systems to dirty up your engine and increase fuel consumption?
It IS inert....it doesn't burn. No, it is NOT added to "dirty up the engine and increase fuel consumption". It is there to cool the combustion event....be it on a gasoline OR diesel-equipped vehicle. The cooler combustion event deters detonation which is the MAJOR producer of NOX. High combustion temps cause chemical reactions which produce a higher % of NOX vs. having lower combustion chamber temps.

Originally Posted by Sangetsu03
If you want to increase your mileage by ten or more percent, just drive ten or more percent less. Take the thousand dollars you were going to spend on a chip and buy a bicycle. Not only will you save on fuel, you'll probably lose a few pounds and extend your live by a decade or so.
That's fine and all for cities or demographics with mass transit or people with the ability to only have to ride their bicycle a reasonable distance. For some folks (namely in rural areas), a 40-mile interstate commute to work is the norm, be it one way or round trip. I am NOT riding a bicycle down the interstate 20 miles to get to work. First off, because I HATE bicyclists on the highway (but that's not a topic for discussion here). Secondly, we all die sometime....what state of health you're in when you die is up to you. If people don't want to exercise, then they won't.

I'm not trying to tell people how to increase mileage. If a "chip" does it for someone, more power to them. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do because if they want to do something, they will find a way to do it.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Sangetsu03
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
It IS inert....it doesn't burn. No, it is NOT added to "dirty up the engine and increase fuel consumption". It is there to cool the combustion event....be it on a gasoline OR diesel-equipped vehicle. The cooler combustion event deters detonation which is the MAJOR producer of NOX. High combustion temps cause chemical reactions which produce a higher % of NOX vs. having lower combustion chamber temps.

That's fine and all for cities or demographics with mass transit or people with the ability to only have to ride their bicycle a reasonable distance. For some folks (namely in rural areas), a 40-mile interstate commute to work is the norm, be it one way or round trip. I am NOT riding a bicycle down the interstate 20 miles to get to work. First off, because I HATE bicyclists on the highway (but that's not a topic for discussion here). Secondly, we all die sometime....what state of health you're in when you die is up to you. If people don't want to exercise, then they won't.

I'm not trying to tell people how to increase mileage. If a "chip" does it for someone, more power to them. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do because if they want to do something, they will find a way to do it.
NOX is not inert. It is produced in the combustion cycle and released into the atmosphere where it combines with water to form nitric acid. This nitric acid finds it's way back to earth in the form of rain. It is corrosive and poisonous, and I don't oppose efforts to reduce it.

As for riding a bicycle, the health you enjoy while you live is much more important than the health you enjoy when you die. As a former soldier and police officer, I'm well aware that people can die at any time.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Ok. I see now where I got messed up and caused all of this confusion.

The gasses reintroduced into the combustion chamber are inert. The NOX produced by high combustion temperatures isn't what I was getting at being "inert" since these oxides of nitrogen aren't USED in an EGR system.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Lvcrprts
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This redneck is trying to understand the science of all this but doesn't driving habits and routine maintenance increase mileage??? Some of us have a lead foot which is obvious when you drag from the stoplight or race up the hill to beat the guy ahead of you (Trust me i know this all too well). Tend to think this is more of the driver of the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself. But i am enjoying this topic just the same so continue to enlighten us, i need all the help i can get only have half a brain cell to work with.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
GOS
Ha! That must mean my 7.3 L is getting .260 lbs of fuel/hp. How efficient is that you ask. 14 mpg ety and 10 loaded. Now you're smarter than a College grad with a masters in engineering and a mano powered slide rule.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
I meant GOSH! Recalculated my SFC and it came out closer to .30lb/bhp