1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

trailer rentals

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer rentals

is there a place that does one way trailer rentals who uses e-breaks insted of surge on car trailers? when i go to cali to bring my toyota back to ND i plan on renting a trailer rather than hauling an empty trailer all the way there, but id realy rather not have surge breaks going over the rockys

Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 AM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by 884x4broncoII
is there a place that does one way trailer rentals who uses e-breaks insted of surge on car trailers? when i go to cali to bring my toyota back to ND i plan on renting a trailer rather than hauling an empty trailer all the way there, but id realy rather not have surge breaks going over the rockys
I would look at what it is going to cost you to rent a trailer "one-way" and then think about pulling one out with you. Find someone needing something hauled to Ca. and use the pay to off-set the fuel one way. Check sites like yesterdaystractor.com. They have a section where folks post needing something haul, generally old farm equipment.

If you don't own a trailer, buy a used one and sell it when you return.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
As far as I know, Don't even bother looking at U-haul company (if that's even available in your area) All of the car trailers use surge brakes. I'm not sure what else would be in your area, good luck!

-Robb

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
well i looked up uhauls website just to get an idea of cost and they want 600 dollars for one way from cali to nd, 300 for a dolly, unless cali law has changed a dolly is not an option, becouse the truck is not plated and i remember there being a law that if a vehical is being towed with any of the tires touching the ground it needs to be plated. besides the tires on the truck are probably dry rotted by now. but for 600 dollars ill haul an empty trailer out there. it would cost less, **** i could probably buy an old car trailer in cali for 600. i was thininking it would be like maby 100 dollars a day, i can make that drive (1500 miles) in 24 hours. i would probably save 100 dollars in going there without a trailer and renting one for the return trip. but im not going to save 600. and then deal with surge breaks over the mountians bucking and grabbing 1/2 the way back home. no thankyou. unless i can get somthing more reasonable from united rentals (dont know if they do one way) or maby penskie (sp?)??? i dont know. looks like ill probably be hauling my trailer empty one way, anyone here have anything they need hauled? heading west, ill be going from bismarck nd to southern cali. my planned route takes me threw billings mt, idaho falls, id, salt lake city, ut, las vegas, nv. and into sanbernidio ca

Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
i would go with what mlcinnctx said and see if someone needs something hauled out there. charge them and just use your trailer. or you could see if there is anyone selling a decent car trailer in CA. just my .02

Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Mark62
Tuned
I dont know how U-Haul gets away with surge brakes??
They are Illegal in some states now. The list continues to grow.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
I'm in the same the situation. I need to haul my son's 79 Bronco to Ft.Bragg NC. I can't find a place to rent a trailer. I called U-haul and they said I can't haul a Bronco on their trailer ???? It's a car hauler ??? I hate to lie about what I'm hauling. The Bronco has 33" on it so their trailer may not even work. I called AAA auto transport and wanted $ 935.00 to haul it there. Ouch !

Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
NWBronco
Senior User
Call around. UHaul's have differenr policys. We had the same problem rounding up a trailer to get a Bronco up from Northern Cali. It took about 6 phone calls to find a uhaul that would rent one.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dads79
I'm in the same the situation. I need to haul my son's 79 Bronco to Ft.Bragg NC. I can't find a place to rent a trailer. I called U-haul and they said I can't haul a Bronco on their trailer ???? It's a car hauler ??? I hate to lie about what I'm hauling. The Bronco has 33" on it so their trailer may not even work. I called AAA auto transport and wanted $ 935.00 to haul it there. Ouch !
too bad your not along my route or i would haul it for you, if i could get a load going even half way on my way there it would sure help to combat this 4.00 a gallon fuel

Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Epd444
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dads79

When I bought a bronco I needed to trailer it home and U-haul told me the same thing, they wouldn't rent me the trailer cause it was a bronco.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
i think they only rate there trailers for a 4000lb vehical, however they are very heavy duty trailers and would probably safly Handel alot more they also rate them at a maximum speed of 55mph probably just trying to avoid lawsuits from people that dont know how to drive with a trailer

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
I found a local hauler to take it for $725.00. I figure it I would spend aleast $500 for fuel/motel/food/trailer rental. Plus it would kill a week end. What really sucks, is it and a Mustang will come back home in Nov.when he gets redeployed. He loves his Fords like his old man!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
sundy58
Senior User
Pull the drive shafts and get the hitch that temporarily hooks to the bumper, and pull it four down.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing has a great forum for "toad" pulling.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
timberjack
Senior User
You might try this place, before buying or renting a trailer. uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves

Works sort of like a tender. You place an ad for the item you want to ship, description, weight, locations to and from, etc, and wait for the bidding to come in.

If you are dead set on taking the trip, you could probably use this place to look for something to haul westward too.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
well i gotta send both of you reps who gave me places to look to find somthing to haul, iv got an load heading westward 200 miles off my trail hauling a car deposit from the shipper is in the mail to secure the deal. and am in discussions with another fellow about posibly hauling a garden tractor a welder and some other items back with me from california (he has more stuff than i can fit but im waiting on him to get back to me on weight and dementions of the additional two items to see if i can get ateast one of the aditional items hauled for him.) on my return trip. if everything works out i may not have to pay for fuel at all (wont make any money but wont have to pay for fuel for the trip)

Quick Reply: trailer rentals