General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices, Some Paying Up to $1,200 to Fill-Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices, Some Paying Up to $1,200 to Fill-Up

FOXNews.com - Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices, Some Paying Up to $1,200 to Fill-Up - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

MEDFORD, Ore. — Independent U.S. truckers are planning to stop hauling freight Tuesday in protest of record-high diesel prices that drivers say they can no longer afford

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
i hope they do it and not chicken out this time! that $1200 dont last long either mabe 2 days tops if your out runnin good

Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
i didnt realise that they made up 90% of truckers hauling goods.

will consumers end up paying extra fro this if it really happens and they strike for a couple of days?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freirefishing

will consumers end up paying extra fro this if it really happens and they strike for a couple of days?
That's about all that will happen.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I recall the trucker strikes in the '70s over high fuel costs. The independents were the vehicle driving the "on the road" strikes back then as well.

My Uncle was an independent steel hauler back then. He stayed at home due the violence. Sniper shootings, rocks thrown from bridges, tires slashed, etc.

I traveled a lot in Ohio / Penn. back then and I remember when what seemed like a 1,000 trucks converged @ the intersection of I-76 and I-80 in Ohio. Locked up up transportation for days. More State Police in the area than I even knew they had.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strike will not do anything effective except make them poorer, imo.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It won't drop the fuel prices, but hopefully, it will give them some leverage to increase their haul rate to compensate for the high cost of fuel. There are several reasons this has come to be, having talked to a lot of truckers and owner/operators. If I were a truck driver, I would join the Owner Operators Indepentent Drivers Association. They seem to be a good group of people from what I've heard.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
there lining up at the port of tampa, they say they wont work the week

Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
They are going to raise the line haul rates but get the government to legislate to
allow more roads that double and triples can use, and then the companies will be
forcing the drivers to haul doubles everywhere and thereby erasing any gain they
would have ended up with!! We need to get to the root of all the rise in prices
and I believe that it has nothing to do with how much is coming out of the ground
or if pipe bursts somewhere. The real root is there is too many vehicles on the road
and they refuse to build more roads or some areas just don't have the land to add
extra lanes, So the alteranative is to reduce the drivers on the road!! They cannot
even upkeep the bridges we have now let alone building new ones and keeping up
on those behemoths.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by freirefishing
i didnt realise that they made up 90% of truckers hauling goods.

The thing I watched earlier said independents made up 39% of the drivers on the road...hmm

Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
websthes
Postmaster
They're not getting paid enough to cover the cost of fuel. And they can't park their rigs because you need to move to make the payments on the truck, even if you're losing money on the fuel, the bank doesn't care.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rebocardo
Strike will not do anything effective except make them poorer, imo.
Robo is right. Company trucks, Teamsters and some independents are still rolling .... more to come. That said, the independents are between a rock and a hard place and their costs must eventually make it to the consumers.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
We deliver hardwood flooring, We're bulking up deliveries going in the same direction.

just paid 1600 to put 433 gals in our tank

Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a Trucker. I am a Company driver. I am not on strike! I am on VACATION! Parked mt truck in my driveway last Thursday & have no intentions to move it until next Monday.

Did I know there was going to be a strike? YES! Why do you think I decided to take a weeks paid vacation....

Anyhow... The rising costs of fuel are currently being passed onto the consumer. Who is the consumer? YOU! And I'll tell you how.

Every load is paid a fuel surcharge. If the driver gets it, I don't know.
This fuel surcharge is passed on to the shipper or receiver. In return, they pass it on & who ever they pass it to.... It gets passed further. Eventually being paid by you & I in the Wal-Mart checkout lane.

Lets say I have a load of 10,000 cans of Green Giant Green Beans. <---(I'm a steel hauler... I'm just trying to make a point to the less informed consumer)

Lets say this load pays me a fuel surcharge of $383.21 for the trip. <---(That is not the what the load pays... Just the fuel surcharge.)

In the end the fuel surcharge is going to be broken down. This is how they break it down.

$383.21 fuel surcharge divided by 10,000 cans of vegetables = $0.038321

Your can of veggies just got a price increase of 4 pennies per can.

That is how the average consumer is getting blinded. They don't notice a extra 4 pennies being spent on one product.... But look at all the stuff you buy. There is even a fuel surcharge on all your gasoline & diesel purchases...

I blame the current state of a weak economy on high fuel prices. Others say it is the housing market.... But I still believe if people didn't have to pay so much for fuel..... Then possibly they could have been able to pay their Mortgage.

Quick Reply: Truckers to Strike Over Record Diesel Prices, Some Paying Up to $1,200 to Fill-Up