Sponsored by:

bunch of questions from a noob

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
ford montana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bunch of questions from a noob

OK fellas, I'm new to diesels so here are the my questions. firstly my truck is a 2000 CC 4x4 7.3 srw . things i think that were done to it before i got it. i think the exhaust was done appears not to have a muffler and is about four inches around, k&n type air cleaner, and it looks to be leveled i don't think lifted and 35inch tires. i bought gauges but haven't installed them yet. when i install them what kind of temps should i watch out for,on the trans and exhaust and what does the boost gauge warn me about. i don't do alot of towing yet but hope to find a toy hauler 5er soon. i get the max towing weights but how much king pin weight can i handle. i am from montana very hilly terrain if that makes a difference. thanx for your help

Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE,

Look at the down pipe coming off the turbo, if it is 4", you have a after market exhaust. Next, Get rid of the K&N filter, look in the 7.3 fourm and do a search for the 6637 filter. Way better for our Diesels.

On the trans temp, don't let it get over 210* 220*, try to keep it under 200*. You will not see that high of temp not towing.

EGT, keep that under 1250*, again you should not see that unless towing. Sometimes with a tuned engine at WOT, you can get close.

Boost, I can make 30+ # boost with what I have on my truck. Our turbo does not like over 25# boost. The boost guage could let you know if you get a lead in one of your IC boots.

Come visit us in the 7.3 fourm, many great people and loads of info.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
Also, use your gauges to monitor exhaust temp when you reach your destination. Do Not shut down your engine until it has idled enough to get the exhaust temps down to around 300 degrees, this will make the turbo last a lot longer. If you shutdown hot it can boil the oil out of the turbo bearings leaving solids behind which really shorten the turbo bearing life.
K&N filter is not something I would use on a diesel, lets too much dirt through. I like the AIS filter setup as it is a ford factory approved change and a big improvement over stock. Mated with a air hole in the bulkhead it draws in cooler outside air which should help the horsepower and your map sensor is still in the airstream.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
ford montana
New User
Thanx

Thanx for the help