Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

New Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Milisivana
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Head unit

Looking to replace the factory radio on my 02 XLT 4dr 4wd Explorer.

Any recommendations on what to get?

I need at least a front aux input and am not an audiophile, so I'm not looking to spend crazy money - $150 max since i just dumped over 5K into it for repairs.
Would be really nice to get a head unit with bluetooth as well, but for that price I was only able to find 1 or 2 but not with the front aux port.
Other need is to play mp3/wma on cd-r/rw discs.

A nice "cool" feature would be one that could display different images, but that would be just an added bonus.

the two sites I've been looking at are (they include install kits with purchase):

onlinecarstereo.com
&
sonicelectronix.com

Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would encourage you to look at either Clarion or Alpine units, though Pioneers seems to be a good brand too. I use a Clarion in my van and have been very pleased with it. The Alpines are good and I like the button arrangement. The Pioneers are ok, but the buttons seem to be poorly thought out.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Milisivana
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bear River
I would encourage you to look at either Clarion or Alpine units, though Pioneers seems to be a good brand too. I use a Clarion in my van and have been very pleased with it. The Alpines are good and I like the button arrangement. The Pioneers are ok, but the buttons seem to be poorly thought out.
Thanks - do those display different images on the LCD if you know...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know my Clarion has a really simple screensaver, not anything impressive. The Pioneer and Alpine that I used were a little bit older, and did not have any screensaver. I would imagine that most newer models should have a good display.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go to Crutchfield.com and take a look. Great selection and prices. I just put an Alpine in my 2001 ST last week.

I too am a fan of Alpine.

BTW, if you have the Ford Audiophile sound system, with the SUB, in the rear, you'll need to modify the AMP Remote signal coming out of the new head. Contact me if you need some help.

CMOS

Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Milisivana
Junior User
Originally Posted by CMOS
Go to Crutchfield.com and take a look. Great selection and prices. I just put an Alpine in my 2001 ST last week.

I too am a fan of Alpine.

BTW, if you have the Ford Audiophile sound system, with the SUB, in the rear, you'll need to modify the AMP Remote signal coming out of the new head. Contact me if you need some help.

CMOS
Thanks - didn't really see anything on crutchfield before that said whether or not the headunits had different display images.
No audiophile sound system.