General Automotive Discussion

FORD TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS - Order of the BLUE MAX

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I stopped to help a guy with a dead-in-the-middle-of-the-bus-parking-lot (why he was there and not in the main parking lot is probably another story) Dodge van. Had the crossing guard stop traffic for me so I could pull the van out of the way so the kids could get to school (middle school). Pulled down the road to a side street. He was able to contact his "people" to come get him. I went to work.

This past winter, I stopped to help at a rollover accident on the freeway. The lady and her toddler wound up in the center median (grassy area) with the vehicle on its driver-side. The front of the pickup was perpendicular to the westbound lanes. I backed up to her pickup with the tailgate down. Others helped get her little-one and herself out of the lady's pickup through the passenger door. The "guys" handed the kid down to me; then momma came down. I put momma and kid in the back seat of my truck so they could settle down and warm up from my heater until the ambulance and Idaho State Trooper could arrive on scene.

Momma and kid checked out ok. Hubby showed up and started yelling at me. He was upset about his wife and kid, so I just smiled at him and pointed to the back seat of my truck. Hubby kept yelling at me, so the Trooper had a "chat" with him. I removed my hand from under my jacket; hubby apologized to me and was reunited with wife and kid. Everyone happy. I went to work.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"TENSE"....

I wonder what was going through his clyde at that moment?

Probably thought a million things, all wrong.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I have helped many people over the years with tows, battery boosts, and fixing flats.. This post would be a mile long if I could remember every one of incidents that I help someone out..

I always carry tow chains, jumper cables, a good jack, and a tire repair kit.

One time on vacation in VT with the my Son's Boy Scout troop, we were driving around seeing the sites, when I found a car hung up on a ditch..
They were tourists and took a sharp turn and got hung up..
I just hooked up the chain and pulled them out in no time.. They were very grateful that I happened along..

Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I have a thirty or forty foot chain in the bed of mine at all times, hooks at both ends.
I'd feel naked without it.

Most of the time it gets other people out. If I NEED to get out - it would be bad not to have.

I keep that and ratcheting tie downs in a zippered nylon bag to keep them together.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I stop to chage tires all the time, I carry a star bar and a floor jack in the back of my F150, and use this when I can.

About two years ago my son and I were on our way home, and we witnessed a car with two teenage girls spin out about 100 feet in front of us.
They bounced off the right side retaining wall straight back into the middle of traffic.

I was able to stop about 50 feet from the wrecked car to provide a barricade to on coming traffic.

The police showed up soon after and we made our way home.
The two girls were okay, shaken up but okay.

Are there going to be "Blue Oval Max" stickers? BOM?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want a "Blue Oval Max" sticker. lol. Anyways ill share some storys about me helpin ppl with my 2wd ex. I was comin home from downtown one night with my buddys. Their was about 3 inchs of snow on the ground. We were on the highway and their was a taxi cab driver in a Chevy astro that went into a ditch. So i pulled over and asked iof he needed help and he said yes. So i helped him and i told him to strap the tow rope to the front of his astro (if i break their truck some ppl my blame it on me thats why i make them do that part, but i still give em advice on how to do it). So i hook it up to my truck and pull him out. He offered me fifty dolalrs and i said nope. Thats 1 out of the 5 stories that i have pullin ppl out from bein stuck. I never leave my house with out my three 30 foot tow straps.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
back in feb i pulled a semi out of a parking lot with my 96 while my wife was getting grocerys, my oldest 2 boys were yellin and screaming how cool that was while my 6 yearold just sat back and waited for them to shutup then he go'es cuzz its got a bog block ford

Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
A sticker would be very cool.....

Kind of like "GOOD SAM'S" but different!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Does somebody kno of someone that can make one? Cause id sure buy one.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wizzard351
back in feb i pulled a semi out of a parking lot with my 96 while my wife was getting grocerys, my oldest 2 boys were yellin and screaming how cool that was while my 6 yearold just sat back and waited for them to shutup then he go'es cuzz its got a bog block ford
Sounds like u taught ur son well! I think we have a Blue Oval Max Jr in the makin

Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't count the number of times I've pulled cars out of snow banks/ditches. I remember one time shortly after I got my F-350, my wife and I were on I-90 in a blizzard at about one a.m. and came across a lady and child in a SUV, in the median. I pull over, ask if she needs help--yes its stuck even in four wheel drive it won't budge. I put on my Carharts, grab a shovel and dig out a place to hook up the strap--hop back in my truck and had to put it in low range to drag her out. Then I unhook and she asks what does she owe me--I say nothing and have a safe trip home--jump back in my truck and take off. I did'nt notice that I was still in low range till I got off the interstate--never got over 10 mph due to the road conditions/visibilty. Then there was the time I pulled my neighbors semi out of his very muddy yard/driveway, broke a 10,000 lb strap--had to get the logging chain out of the barn for that one. Saved him from calling a semi wrecker. I always say Built Ford Tough after I pull someone out-LOL.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a woman it's a bit harder to help someone on the side of the road. My dad specifically instructed us NOT to pull over unless it was someone we knew, rather to call from a safe distance away someone to come help them. I keep the local counties programmed in my cell phone and have used them a couple times. We were on the way home from church and pulled over to give a guy a ride into town and left his family in their broken car because there were already four of us and our car wouldn't hold all 6 of them. That's when my dad gave us that lecture. Well, after mom yelled at him for endangering us that is. He explained how he judged the situation and why me and my sister should NEVER stop like he did.

I've boosted coworkers cars and gave a lady a ride home from a convenience store I happened to stop in one winter. I don't carry a full arsenal but I carry all the tools I have, my spare is chained to my tool chest and that chains seen more towing action pulling my friend's chevy's around than anything else. I've loaned my vice grips to people changing batteries at the parts house or walmart, that kinda thing. Even drove gas out to one lady's car and taught her how to prime her carb. She didn't know what to think about a chick that got under the hood and started taking things apart. That was before I knew half what I know now even.

What I think is better is the stories about how we've been helped. The ones that stand out the most in my mind are a woman with her three kids giving me a ride the 2 miles back to my parents one Easter Sunday when my 85 blew a freeze plug and the woman who pulled over and sat with me while I was waiting on my parents & uncle to get there because she'd been stuck on the road by herself before and knew it could be scary. I wasn't scared, it was daylight on a familiar highway and I was sitting in the bed of the truck reading a book waiting for her to cool off so I could get the slung belt untangled but still, the gesture was extremely considerate of her. She didn't know how to help me, but she wanted to make sure I got helped. Turns out she worked at a BK that my uncle frequented and was on her way home from working a double, commuting 60 miles to work at BK. Poor thing was exhausted, had to be and she still sat there and waited with me for 45 mins or so. One I'll never forget though was a trucker. I was driving my dad's car when one of the back tires threw a tread and I proceeded to change the tire. Nothing I hadn't done before you know. This man pulls over and gets out a pair of gloves that don't match the suit he's wearing. I already had the lugnuts loose and when he told me he was on his way to a job interview I told this man who's old enough to be my dad and helping me that he better not even get his suit dirty or be late for his interview on account of my tire! I was nice about it but I would have felt awful had I ever found out he missed it cuz he was late or dirty! He finished changing the tire for me and I thanked him and wished him luck on his interview. Told him they'd be lucky to have him and hoped they saw that in his interview. I of course never saw the guy again even though we both lived in a town of about 11,000. I really REALLY hope he got that job.

There are sometimes you just think how grateful you are that you can take care of yourself. My dad had some really bad tires when I borrowed his car back then. In the 2 or 3 months that I had it, it threw tread off THREE tires. One was on the way home from work during rush and not a single person stopped to ask if I needed help. This actually aggravated the trooper who pulled over right as I was tightening the spare on. He put the tire and the jack up for me all the while grumbling about people not helping. I assured him that I knew the proper rotation pattern and how to do it when I was 12 so a spare was nothing but he still said it wasn't right that no one offered to help me. The time my ac compressor locked in my 85 and threw a belt a county boy pulled over and asked if I was pulled over reading for my health or because I was broke down. I told him it was broke but I just needed for it to cool so I could untangle the thing w/o burning myself and he said he'd be back in 20 to check on me. He didn't come back anytime in the next hour I was there.... that kinda irked me but I guess maybe he could have gotten a call he had to go to... *shrug*

Helping people, and teaching them while you're doing it does come back around to you. I couldn't get help for anything when I was younger unless I called my parents and that just made them mad cuz they lived 30 miles away when I was in college. I started learning to take care of my own stuff out of necessity and discovered that what I knew could help other people. Now I don't have much of a problem getting help when I need it so I really do believe that no matter what you call it, helping other people gets you help in return when you need it.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Does somebody kno of someone that can make one? Cause id sure buy one.
Here is an emblem we can use based on the Blue Max that I modified..

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer
The Four blue arrows can represent some kind of virtues, only the secret society will know.

We would have to get FTE in there somehow.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by donjamer

Wheres the pic?

Quick Reply: FORD TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS - Order of the BLUE MAX