1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I took the plunge!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,885 Likes on 1,859 Posts
I took the plunge!!

Well, after much scrimping and saving (and the good fortune of receiving a bonus at work) I stepped valiantly up to the plate and jumped in with both feet, or dove in head first, or grabbed the bull by the horns, or some other silly axiom.....but I digress...

I just ordered all the MegaSquirt components to fuel inject my big 500ci Caddy engine. Should have the kit in a few days

Woohoooo!!!

Bobby

Old 03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better buy some extra tires! Let the fun begin.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

You are a braver man than I, Mr. Bobby.

But, I'll be watching your progress with great interest as I have always wondered how tough it would be to put EFI on my Clevo.

Go for it, Dude!

BTW, how pricy an option is it? And how much of the system will you have to fab?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow! That big Caddy ought to wake up now. What brand tires do you prefer, I'm going to be looking to buy some stock Keep us posted, and no we won't contribute to the ticket fund

Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Money wise? its not too bad, what I ordered today was approx $450 worth of bells and whistles.
I am in a fairly unique position though as I have an intake manifold complete with injectors, fuel rails, throttle body, etc. Cadillac came out with an electronic fuel injection in 1976 that was standard equipment on the Sevilles (remember the 76-79 Sevilles? kinda boxy looking? overglorified Chevy Nova?) Well, you could also get the system as an option on the 500ci engine in the big cars as well.
Last summer I got lucky and found one in a wrecking yard and managed to snag the intake, injectors, etc
My fuel tank is already set up for a return and vapor line, I already have the electric fuel pump, now it will just be a matter of soldering up the ECM kit and installing all the parts.

At the rate I get work done, it should take me most of the summer.....lol
Bobby

Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
g84t8f1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats. Better take some clean shorts when you test drive it for the 1st time. Should be a handful.Maybe you can get a good deal on some racing slicks.That should help you hook that beast up.
Art

Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
You mentioned soldering, I take it you got the - I can put all these little thingies on this green holie thing - instead of buying one assembled?
Which version did you get?
Does it include ignition?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
. . . . .
My fuel tank is already set up for a return and vapor line, I already have the electric fuel pump, now it will just be a matter of soldering up the ECM kit and installing all the parts.
Remember, FI takes a lot more pressure on your fuel rail. Don't know what sort of setup you have, but if you are trying to maintain that pressure from the tank to the injectors, it will take high pressure lines and an extra strong fuel pump.

But glad you got started!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Hey Bobby, maybe you can get into the double digits of MPG's? I'm very proud for ya!!! I'll be picking your brain soon for EFI ideas on my Windsor? Congrats!!!!! Thats very cool!!! I bought that Holley Pro JEction setup, and I'm not that impressed with it. I got it used, but if I bought it new I'd be mad!! I got a GOOD deal on it used, but if I paid the whole amount for it I'd be very unhappy. The Holley setup dont even have an O2 sensor or a MAP sensor. It only has a temp sensor?? What the heck?

Any way CONGRATS!!! I'm with the rest of the guys, I hope you got stock in a tire company?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Dick, Yup, I bought the jigsaw puzzle.(if YOU ever try this route you better be careful....I think tht a bag of small brightly colored components might look a little too close to chemical enhancements.....with legs)
From everything I have read it shouldn't be too bad to put Tab "A" into Slot "B". It's not my first rodeo with electronic assembly (although it has been years)

Clint, Good to see you!!! I was wondering about you just the other day, I hope life is treating kindly. Great tips on the fuel line. I will have to change the rubber sections over to high pressure lines. The original Caddy injection ran pretty high pressure (I think it was about 65psi) I'll have to play with it a bit to see how much I need. I plan on test firing my injectors before too long to see how they spray and if they need to be cleaned. I'll toy around with the pressure there to see what I actually need.

Terry, The MegaSquirt uses coolant temp, air intake temp, throttle position, oxygen sensor, barometric pressure and manifold air pressure just like a real system.

I think this will be fun
Bobby

Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
If I go MegaSquirt I have to buy assembled, this muscle thing I have makes me look like I have Turets Syndrom (But quiet).
I would be soldering chips to my lips.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Oh thank gawd! You had me worried with the thread title. Thought you were making an honest woman outa her! Good to see you're going with EFI. Mucher wiser choice my man. and cheaper too.

And yes Clint! Good to see you back. I too was worried about you. Any progress on your EFI project?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Hi-Jack

Here's a Windsor/MegaSquirt article

http://www.302w.com/Windsor_MegaSqui...roduction.aspx

Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
Wink

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Bobby
Have you thought about a bigger tank?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
had to make sure there were enough " digits " here for the forum to print it .