1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HELP wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
peterbilt379exhd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP wont start

96 F250 PSD. When I turn the key, WTS light doesnt come on and OD light does. I opened the cover by the fuel filter, the "solenoid"?, round thing to the left of the fuel filter...the large bolt in the back is melted. I removed the small bolt and wire in the front and by running a wire to the big melted bolt in the rear, from the battery, was able to start the tuck....WTS light comes on fine, OD light goes off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
you need yourself a new GPR im going to guess.
GPR- glow plug relay about 30-50bux.
also check for blown fuses now.
Mitch

Old 03-23-2008, 05:11 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

There is more of a problem there if the wire and post is melted check the entire glow plug system you have some resistance somewhere not allowing the power to get where it is supposed to go. just changing the relay isn,t going to fix your problem

Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
well it may have stuck open"on the on position" and melted the post off. and since he was able to start the truck i think he will be ok. still not a bad idea to check the UVCH to see if any pins have melted or what not?
UVCH? is that the right abv? under valve cover harness?
Mitch

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 AM
peterbilt379exhd
Freshman User
Yes, I suspect there is more of a problem than just the relay. Is there any way, the glow plug system could affect the injectors because without the wire running off the battery, the truck will on crank, but it wont start.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
it should start when warm... without the wire going to the wire that melted off of the gpr...

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peterbilt379exhd
Yes, I suspect there is more of a problem than just the relay. Is there any way, the glow plug system could affect the injectors because without the wire running off the battery, the truck will on crank, but it wont start.
The GPR can and does do that after a few years of use (abuse) or if it was previuosly replaced with a cheap GPR (starter solenoid ect).

BE sure to get a good GPR and not a starter solenoid...
or a stancor solenoid like this one,
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/s_gpr.html
this GPR that will lkely outlast the truck

If oyu plug in the block heater or keep the truck in a warm building it will start without the aid of the GP's. The GPR system does not affect the injector directly but share a common connector going under the valve cover. If the GP's aren't heated up properly the engine will just spin and spin with no fire.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
The GPR can and does do that after a few years of use (abuse) or if it was previuosly replaced with a cheap GPR (starter solenoid ect).

BE sure to get a good GPR and not a starter solenoid...
or a stancor solenoid like this one,
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/s_gpr.html
this GPR that will lkely outlast the truck

If oyu plug in the block heater or keep the truck in a warm building it will start without the aid of the GP's. The GPR system does not affect the injector directly but share a common connector going under the valve cover. If the GP's aren't heated up properly the engine will just spin and spin with no fire.
Cuda is right if it is plugged in it will go without the GP,s,,Is it normal for the OD light to come on when this happens? I had my wiring unplugged to my GPR and the wait to start light still worked and the OD light didn't flash.

I had my GPR unplugged because of this

This was effecting my injectors lol