Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What Do You Think Of Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I think of Toyota?

I think they are the P.T. Barnum of the automobile industry.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
elmo8641
Elder User
i think toyota makes good cars and small trucks. i used to have a 1987 truck. base model. i sold it to a friend w/ 200,000 miles on it. very reliable and cheap to keep up. truck is still drove everyday and has over 300,000 on it now. i have a friend that has a 2002 tundra. it is a nice truck, good power but it just don't feel like a truck. it doesn't tow all that well. they are light duty. my 87 toy was rated for 1,000lbs payload and so are the new ones. i work for a honda dealership and i can tell you the biggest thing that keeps people coming back is that honda takes care of the customer. honda had a problem with trannys 99-03. we are still doing trannys under warrenty way past 36,000, i have done a couple at 150,000. if they have a problem they fix it. ford and gm say 3 years 36,000 that is even if they know they have a problem they don't care.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
....Stay tuned.

*mouse poised*

*right click*

.........ready to 'paste'

Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro

Im from Canada, we make love up here, not war
I'm on my way...

Not that Im suggesting anyone trys to make love to anyone else in here either, that just aint right
Awww shucks, you're no fun...If I can't make love to em, I'll make war with em...

Tim

Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Overrated.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,221 Posts
what do i think of toyoda?? absolutely nothing, and i don't care if they tank or sell another million cars. i drive fords cause i like the way they look, ride and do everything i ask them to. i have never cared for the way the yodas looked.
i know a few people that had them and everyone dumped them because of very poor quality metal used to built them. that was enough for me.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
02Taco
Senior User
I like Toyota, as well as Honda. Both are bias as i own both. But based of my experience i would recommend both. I have friend with Fords, Dodges, and Chevys and most of them have some sort of advantage in one way or another. Its all about finding a vehicle that suits your needs.

I have a 2002 tacoma with 85K on it and it has yet to let me down. Its fun as hell to 4 wheel and the power of the 3.4 is decent. It tows a small camper for camping and looks good in my opinion. It has a lot of cool features, and little mods you can do to make it more fun to drive. I think its the best midsize truck out there handsdown.

I know i am going to get flamed for posting pictures too, oh well

It even pulls out the occasional Ford (i got 3 under my belt)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ careful pulling from the trailer ball, those things will go right through the truck and out the other side if it comes loose

Personally I'd never own a Toyota (unless something major in their building philosophy changed). I've driven camrys/corollas and they're just plain boring appliances. That works for most people though and they deserve their credit for building reliable cars, but other than that they don't do much for me.

Plus I don't want my tailgate to fall off while I'm driving down the road and carrying spare camshafts/transmissions would take up wayyy too much room. I mean, I can fit my spare turbo in the center console for my 6.0, who has room for all those other parts?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM
02Taco
Senior User
Originally Posted by captain p4
^^ careful pulling from the trailer ball, those things will go right through the truck and out the other side if it comes loose

Personally I'd never own a Toyota (unless something major in their building philosophy changed). I've driven camrys/corollas and they're just plain boring appliances. That works for most people though and they deserve their credit for building reliable cars, but other than that they don't do much for me.

Plus I don't want my tailgate to fall off while I'm driving down the road and carrying spare camshafts/transmissions would take up wayyy too much room. I mean, I can fit my spare turbo in the center console for my 6.0, who has room for all those other parts?
HAHA.
never say never!!!
Yeah i know what you mean, usually the ***** only rip off if they are attached to the stock bumper, Plus i couldnt leave him there after all, that on the CA/Mexico border.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by captain p4

The tailgates don't fall off, they fold up like a taco when more than 10 pounds is on it. As for the camshaft thing, they designed the engine to where you can have one changed in -10 minutes...It takes me about half an hour to change the turbo on my 6.0...I don't have that kind of time...

Tim

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
The tailgates don't fall off, they fold up like a taco when more than 10 pounds is on it. As for the camshaft thing, they designed the engine to where you can have one changed in -10 minutes...It takes me about half an hour to change the turbo on my 6.0...I don't have that kind of time...

Tim

You keep forgetting that the Toy has 4 camshafts......even if one breaks, there's 3 built in spares!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Toyota has long been one of the leaders along with Honda when you think of Quality. Japanese vehicles have always been better built than vehicles produced by the big 3.
Toyota has had some recent quality issues with their newer vehicles.

Toyota has found out that in trying to be the biggest their quality has suffered.

There is no doubt they can regain the quality of the past in the near future. Toyota has the money to research and improve their vehicles.
The big 3 are losing money hand over fist.
Ford might have caught Toyota in initial customer satisfaction but what does that really mean?

Toyota is still much better in long term owner satisfaction. Toyota is where they are because they have built quality vehicles for a long time. The Big 3 has been associated with building junk for a long time.
These two stereotypes are hard to change.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
....i know a few people that had them and everyone dumped them because of very poor quality metal used to built them....
I have heard this many times before, primarily from the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy loyalists. What I don't get however, is that this so called "poor quality" does not appear to be supported by the used truck price index.

I am currently in the market for a small used pick up. I have been AMAZED that a Toyota Tacoma will fetch up to 30% more than a later model Ford Ranger with less miles.

It is a given (typically) that quality comes at a cost, even in the used sector.....for any item. This statement must either be true, or it is biggest conspiracy known to man........or at least with the Toyota Tacoma.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RocketScience
I have heard this many times before, primarily from the Ford, Dodge, and Chevy loyalists. What I don't get however, is that this so called "poor quality" does not appear to be supported by the used truck price index.

I am currently in the market for a small used pick up. I have been AMAZED that a Toyota Tacoma will fetch up to 30% more than a later model Ford Ranger with less miles.

It is a given (typically) that quality comes at a cost, even in the used sector.....for any item. This statement must either be true, or it is biggest conspiracy known to man........or at least with the Toyota Tacoma.

The above statement is a very good delta when comparing but how about the unscientific finger test/door slam test you did on my truck???

I will go out on a limb and say that the Tundra is as thick or thicker in the door panels than my Super Duty.

I base this opinion on just by shutting the doors...My F-250 door will quiver like a bowl of jello when shut.

The rotting bed syndrome may add to the sheet metal lore.....the funny part about that story is that back in the day, Toy's were shipped sans beds to skirt an import tax......the beds were sourced from a U.S. company and installed later.

But I will also add that my '95 T-100 has the thinnist sheet metal I've ever experienced......so maybe it's a legacy thang ???

Oh, almost forgot:

Toyotas are Junk

Built by commies

Profits go to the commies

WWII

Think by adding that it'll prevent some redundancy from the xenophobe crowd????

Old 03-23-2008, 03:33 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
well, toyota, i just never liked the looks of them, so what quality they are i could care less. but i have always liked the older landcruisers.

but i know this, from my experience the toyota dealerships are a heck of a lot better than the ford ones. that is part of my core beleif as why ford is lagging, its not the cars, its the dealers.

Quick Reply: What Do You Think Of Toyota?