General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a PC or MAC laptop?
PC
64.58%
MAC
35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

PC or MAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Momorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC or MAC

I know this isn't really 6.0L related but I post here the most so... I am looking at getting a laptop in month or so and I just looking for a little poll to see what you guys like more. I've been using PC's my whole life, but it hear good things about MAC's. My main question however is: does the SCT software work on a MAC. I keep leaning towards a MAC but if I can't run my SCT software and DashDAQ software, then I am going to have to stick with PC. I have a pretty open mind so any input would be great.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
No qeustion MAC all the way! All the new MACS can go either way! You can run Windows or OSX now and it's not an emulating program like Virtual PC was! I have had a MAC since 1993! Great thing about a Mac is that you don't have to worry about viruses! I have never had a virus nor has any Mac I have ever owned crashed!

After all haven't you seen the Mac commercials? There true!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Momorris
Senior User
Originally Posted by scottman70
No qeustion MAC all the way! All the new MACS can go either way! You can run Windows or OSX now and it's not an emulating program like Virtual PC was! I have had a MAC since 1993! Great thing about a Mac is that you don't have to worry about viruses! I have never had a virus nor has any Mac I have ever owned crashed!

After all haven't you seen the Mac commercials? There true!
Thanks, I remember seeing them running windows the other day. So I guess I would just download the stuff just like I would on a PC? Do you have the SCT on your MAC?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Momorris
Thanks, I remember seeing them running windows the other day. So I guess I would just download the stuff just like I would on a PC? Do you have the SCT on your MAC?
I actually am in your shoes looking for a new Mac, I think I am going with an iMac instead of a laptop though! As far as running PC programs on a Mac, that isn't a problem at all on these newer Macs. Just make sure you buy it loaded with Window XP! If SCT is compatible with OSX then I wouldn't get windows at all! Go to the SCT website and call them they will let you know!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
The main problem with the Mac's is the cost..

You can get a windows laptop for as little as $400.00, but I believe the Mac's are over 2 grand..

Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Momorris
Senior User
It's around $1500, but you get what you pay for and I want something that will last. It is going to be carried with me nearly all the time, especially in the truck and MAC's are much more durable than PC's.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you habitually carry a tiny dog around with you in a $2000 handbag, you should absolutely buy a Mac.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
my cheapo compaq is 6 years old and works fine.

i have a dell and it has had problems, but the main problem is the power cord keeps falling out, i will have to hard wire it one day.

the toshiba i got now cost $550. so even figuring it would last just 3 years, that is still 9 years worth compared to the price of a mac.

how long do you really expect to have the computer? the way these things get updated, there would be no way i would have one as my main computer that is 10 years old. and if you never need the latest anything, then why waste money on some overly expensive computer in the first place.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Momorris
Senior User
If you build a Dell to compare to a Mac, they end up costing about the same. A Mac will be more than sufficient for the next 5 years for what I use it for.

I have had a Dell desktoop for nearly 3 years and it still does what I need it, I just need a laptop and I'm considering my options.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Momorris
Senior User
Originally Posted by angus
If you habitually carry a tiny dog around with you in a $2000 handbag, you should absolutely buy a Mac.
Are you questioning my sexuality because I am considering a Mac?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
my mom's new dell she got last spring cost about $650, its the one newer model (or mayber 2 newer) of the insiron 8600. go look on their website, they even have sales a few times a year with pretty good discounts.

i am just not into wasting money on things that don't need to be wasted on. there is no way i can look at a mac and really think there is $1500 worth of functions in that computer and 700-800 dollars more worth of functions than a pc.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
It really depends on what you need it for. Mac is great for designing art and making programs and such. PC is good for just the average Joe like me who wants the net and some games!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Jim242002 posted, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

Someone told me MAC for graphic arts, multi-media; and a PC for business and gaming.

Someone gave a MAC G4, but it needs an OS.

I can borrow one from a friend of mine whose has the same G4.

My Dell 4100 (2001) has gone through a hard drive, and many OS reinstalls, but not
by me. I don't know how to do that crap.

I am curious on how the MAC will work.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC for me. I've got a home built system with Gentoo Linux, and XP pro, dual installed. I like Linux myself, no viruses and everything is FREE. I've also got a 5ish year old Dell, and a 10 year old IBM, they both run XP pro and work fine for me.

I've been using PCs for as long as I can remember. My buddy has a new "I" mac and a Mac G4, everything on them is bass ackwards I could never get use to one of them damn things.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sierraben
Someone told me MAC for graphic arts, multi-media; and a PC for business and gaming.

MAC is the 'standard' platform for graphics and printers/printing.
I have had a couple of MACs, and they aren't anything 'special' that I can see.
Both PC and MAC are just tools.

I have a new iMAC sitting right beside my desktop PC, and I can do exactly the same work on either machine.

MAC software is more expensive to buy vs. PC software, plus, you can go just about anywhere and buy software for the PC.

Coin toss as to which is the better platform.

The ONE thing that is better in a MAC. I know of only one virus that has been discovered on MAC. I forget the name, but, I read it in one of the computer magazines.

Quick Reply: PC or MAC