1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL & Upfitter Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
dfooch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL & Upfitter Switch?

Drove my 06 F250 from SC to FL today; 2 1/2 hour trip and the truck ran perfectly; (even got 21 mpg). Got home and installed my new upfitter switches. The installation went well with no problems. I then hooked up the high idle mod on the #4 switch and tested it and it worked perfectly, however, after putting everything back together and putting the tools up, I started the truck up again and the CEL came on. The truck is running well and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious (other than the CEL). My question is can this CEL be related to the upfitter installation or the high idle mod? I understand this (CEL) can be just about anything unless you pull the code. Has anyone else had this problem? I have not taken the truck to the dealer yet so I don't know what code was activated. Is there any way to clear this CEL without going to dealership? I don't know if this is related to the mod or something else coincidently activated the CEL. My truck has almost 33k miles and it hasn't had any issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without knowing what code it is, I don't think anyone will be able to tell you what might have caused it.

You might be able to take your truck to an Autozone or other local parts place to get the codes read for free, so you don't have to spend the money to have the dealer do it.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 PM
dfooch
Senior User
Thanks for the assist Beerstalker. Went to Autozone and had them pull the codes. Came up with PO460
Definition: Fuel Level sending unit condition
Explanation: Poor electrical connection at the fuel level sending unit
Probable Causes: Failed fuel level sending unit

Now, the only problem I have with this is my fuel gauge appears to be accurate. I never let it get below half a tank and the truck appears to be running smoothly. I also regularly use powerservice. I'm hoping this has nothing to do with hooking up the high idle mod on the upfitter switches.

I have an appointment with the stealership, but I was wondering if anyone can shed light on this problem. Thank you

Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
NICK08SD
Freshman User
I Just Installed Upfitters Also,what Exactally Did You Do To Achieve Idle Mod? Was It Just To Connect One Wire In The Harness To Switch? Hopefully My 08 Is Wired The Same. I Know Where The Wires Are, Just Need To Know What To Do To Get High Idle? Just The Basic 900rpm Mod Nothing More.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
dfooch
Senior User
Nick

A detailed procedure for hooking up the high idle mod is listed in the tech folder of this forum. It literally was as easy as hooking up 1 wire to the AUX switch (hooked it up to my #4 switch) The wire for the high idle was located behind the fuse panel; close to the drivers side kick panel. As far as the RPM, at least on my 06 F250, it bumped it up to 1200; don't know if it is different for the 08. Hope this helps.

Beerstalker
Went to dealer regarding CEL. They said it needed to be reset. No charge due to it being covered under warranty...WHEW!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
NICK08SD
Freshman User
Thanks ,i'll Check It Out. TRIED TO FIND TECH FOLDER ON SITE, I KNOW !! SOMETIMES I'M NOT THAT GREAT WITH A COMPUTER. ON MY SCREENS I CAN'T FIND TECH FOLDER . ANYONE ????????? PLEASE?WHERE IS IT?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post at the top of this forum (Super Duty and Heavy Duty). It is bookmarked and locked. Just click on it to open.

Here's a link. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...lder_____.html