1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New ignition for my 289 Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:12 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ignition for my 289 Ford

Hey folks, Just wanted to pop in a tell everyone, that I got a new ignition for my 48 f1. I didn't realise it at the time ,but I have a Mallory distributor in it,and got the wrong parts at first. It had dual points in it. I wound up ordering the Mallory 61004M ignition. I found it through Amazon, and got it a little cheaper through them. Most all of the others were around $70-$80, and I got this one for $56. It took about 30 minutes to install with a new Mallory coil . I marked the distributor before I pulled it ,and placed it back where it was,and timed it by ear. That rascal started right up. Normally it takes a couple oftrys before she actually starts. But it surprised me when she popped right off first crank. I also installed the new trim rings I found on feebay too. They are stainless chrome plated with ribs. They are about 1 1/4" deep. Some dude had them on there for $35 buy it now. I looked and couldn't find them for any less than $75 a set. So, I'm back on the road again.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure does feel good when stuff works, doesn't it.