Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

All Power Door Locks Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
jdhill95
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Power Door Locks Not Working

I have a 2001 Ford Exlporer Sport. None of the power door locks work including the 3rd door. They all went out at once. Someone said it might be a relay. I looked in the owners manuel but didn't see a relay dedicated to all of the power door locks. I checked the fuse for the locks and it was fine. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Jim

Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Might want to pull the door panel and be sure the cable connector to the switch assembly hasn't come off.

There are a couple fuses and relays to check, and also the CSM (Central Security Module - less likely that this is the issue...) . Look for simple things first.

From the Ford diagnostic charts:
Power Door Locks
The central security module controls the power door lock and keyless entry system. The lock and unlock operation is carried out by supplying ground to the central security module from the door lock control switch. The normal path of the actuators is to ground through the central security module. The door lock control switch will lock and unlock all doors by grounding the appropriate circuit to the central security module. The central security module then supplies power to the appropriate common actuator circuit to lock or unlock all doors.

CMOS

Old 03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
jdhill95
New User
CMOS,

<O</O
Thank you for your help. I looked briefly at the vehicle last night. The Explorer is my daughters. There is no key fob or keyless entry. I did find out that the 3rd door lock works to unlock all of the doors, but not to lock them.
<O
<O</O
I looked through the owners manual again and didn't see any fuses or relays that are specific to central security or a central security module.

<O</O
Since one lock seems to work somewhat I am thinking of looking at the lock actuators as outlined in another post on this site.

<O</O
I did pull the driver door switches up to make sure the harness was securely fastened to the switches. That checked out.

<O</O
Thanks again,<O
<O</O

Jim<O

Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
You need to check the wires in the driver door accordian, they are under stress and fail.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
jdhill95
New User
I will check them out.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:06 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Common, have repaired many, if you find break, add cple inches to wire, solder and use heat shrink

Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
jdhill95
New User
Do you happen to know the gauge of wire?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
multi strand, some 10,12,14,16 dependant on the circuit

Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
bryanswens
Senior User
Sport Trac Locks

Mine just did this two days ago. All of the doors will lock with remote and manual switch, but nothing will unlock them exept the key or pulling the lock up by hand. Hope to hear more about this. Im going to try and check some relays tonight and cable connector.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
base497
New User
All Door locks inoperative

Your lock problem sounds similar to mine (2003 F150, Crewcab). All my locks quit working at once, however, the drivers side will unlock with the remote but not lock. All the door switches don't work (lock or unlock) but I can hear the clicking at the security module, same when using the remote. My repair manual (Chilton) addresses what to do if you don't get the click but does not say what the problem is if you do get the click.

Have you had any luck with your locks? Do you get the click at the security module? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
KW

Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
reoal
New User
Have the same problem 2001 Explorer Sport -key fob works to unlock all, but cannot lock with fob or switches.
Door switches inoperative (neither lock or unlock), third door switch unlocks all but does not lock???

The fuses are all good, wiring connectors all connected.

Any one have a schematic, I have wiring diagram and shop manual, but difficult to trouble shoot without schematic from here on; without removing components and "easter egging"

Old 06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
rrgone
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard reoal. Aquanaut is correct earlier in this thread when he said it's common for a wire to break in the driver's door accordian conduit. It is usually a ground wire and that causes the solid state relays in the security module to malfunction. Often other items controled by that module also start to act up, like the puddle lamps and door ajar lamps.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Blark
Freshman User
I know this is an old post but my 01 f250 has just started doing the same thing. The relay is still working but the door locks are very very weak and will not open. I've not torn open the door to check it as I've just learned that it may be the wiring there.

The door locks stated failing slowly at first now now the relay just clicks and the door locks barley move at all. You can still hear them wanting to move but it's like the current for them to operate normally isn't there. Going to tear into this tonight but wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
scooter_nate
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have kind of the same problem on my 02 4.6L explorer XLT I went to lock it up the last night and the hazards came on with a loud tick that I could hear from the outside. I could not use the remote or the inside switches to lock the doors tried to start the truck but nothing. This morning I checked the battery with my multimeter it read 11.4v the battery is now charging. We just bought the truck privately and I suspect it is the original battery in it. I will see if it holds this charge, if not it is off to the dealer for a new one.
I HOPE IT IS THE BATTERY AND NOT A WIRING PROBLEM!!!

Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Can you freely turn the key lock switch in the door? You could also have a scenario where the lock linkage is gummed up and putting extra strain on the the power lock motor.

-Rod

Quick Reply: All Power Door Locks Not Working