Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks Six Gun

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
PowerStroker?
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Six Gun

I found a truck that I'm looking at that has a Banks Six Gun system installed in it. http://store.bankspower.com/Categori...8-710a2fa8b3a6

I was wondering if anyone knows whether I should avoid it or if if it was a good system or what. I know everyone here prefers their AIS or their 6637 or whatever it is from NAPA, but should I plan on replacing the intake if I do buy the truck?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Check the engine out with a mechanic that you trust, buy the truck if he says it's solid. Look it over for this stuff: things:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html
If it passes the test,then sell the 6 Gun tuner to some unsuspecting dupe and buy the DP. You'll like it way better. The exhaust and intake are probably good performance wise, just overpriced, but since you aren't the one paying for it, no biggie.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jason pretty much sumed it up.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Ditch the intake, it is a drop in filter that utilizes the poorly designed stock air box. It is not the filters fault, it is the Airbox from the factory not being able to provide a tight seal and letting dust pass thru to the turbo.

Inspect turbo very carefully before buying this truck.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
PowerStroker?
Senior User
I haven't spoken to the person that owns the truck, but it is an 01 automatic.
The ad says that he replaced the trans so that should solve the no 2nd gear issue that some might have right?

Also what would cause the turbo on a truck with this installed to be any worse than a stocker?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Like I mentioned before Its the airbox around the filter that is of poor design, It allows unfiltered air to go directly to the turbo blades. Check the turbo blades very closely for a sandblasted look, rough edges, nicks or bends. the primary job of a turbo is to suck in air, compress it and feed it directly to the cylinders. A non sealing (whether it be because the lock tabs have broken, or are just not holding tight.)air box allows fine dirt and sand particles into that engine which tend to contaminate the oil, and wear internal parts more quickly.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
PowerStroker?
Senior User
Well then I think I'll pass on that truck. There's plenty of others that won't have that issue.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PowerStroker?
Well then I think I'll pass on that truck. There's plenty of others that won't have that issue.
No, dont just pass on it, go and inspect it. ALL 7.3s had the issue with the poor fitting airbox lid. It was just made worse by after market drop in filters that were not the correct dimesions. Mileage, and maintenance will be the deciding factor on a used truck.