1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2008 F350 dually Hot Shot Transporter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
If you read post #1, the OP said he was pulling 20k pounds. We have since cleared that up. He wasn't pulling 20k, his GCVW was about 20k.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
nelkef
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is road ready again, Thank You Broadway Ford in Idaho Falls, ID. - Brock is a champ and Ken also went far and beyond the call of duty to take care of us. I won't be posting in the near future,as I am off to work now- I will get in touch with BBB and go that route with the Ford entity. Thanks also to those of you that gave me good ideas about how to get the best out of my Ford. As I said before, my complaint is only the fact that the customer gets shafted when something like an exhaust flex hose fails every 40-60K miles and the Ford Company refuses to take responsibility in any way. I believe as more miles come on the 08's, you will see more complaints on this issue. Thanks again-Peace

Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
highland61
Senior User
redford,

The only stride you've got is on some personal high horse. Just because you've seen or known of some accidents, doesn't make you some towing authority. I've seen my share of personal injury, accidents and death but it doesn't make me an *** either.

How can you make a remark about this guy and then follow-up with a "5 over the legal limit is one thing"? Make a decision........formulate some standard and stick with it. This is almost like argueing with my ex-wife.

and for the record I've never been in the USCG.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
redford
Your public profile lists "USCG Master". This doesn't involve knowing safety regulations?

I have not now and have never claimed to be a towing authority. I know what I am doing when I tow a trailer and tow in the safest way I know how.

5 MPH over the legal limit isn't unsafe, for the most part. Towing or hauling over the recommended weights is unsafe, always. This is where I draw the line.

Call it a personal high horse if you want, call me names, insult my posts again, but like I said, you aren't even a speed bump.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I have not now and have never claimed to be a towing authority. I know what I am doing when I tow a trailer and tow in the safest way I know how.

5 MPH over the legal limit isn't unsafe, for the most part. Towing or hauling over the recommended weights is unsafe, always. This is where I draw the line.

Call it a personal high horse if you want, call me names, insult my posts again, but like I said, you aren't even a speed bump.
I just have to say even grossing over 40k with a F350 I have never been over on the GVWR of the vehicles involved. So just because you are over Fords recommendation for GCVWR doesnt mean you are overloaded. In order to know the actual GCVWR you have to know the GVWR of both vehicles, pickup and trailer. Only then you have a legal GCVWR. Has nothing to do with licensing, has to do with the wieght ratings of the vehicles id tags or stickers.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
highland61
Senior User
You look it up...I've almost had my fill of DoD, Federal and State regs...

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/index.htm

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html

you are definately grabbing for straws now, double standard or hypocrite..maybe something in between?

you're wasting my time and contributing nothing.....

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
redford
Originally Posted by mudmaker
I just have to say even grossing over 40k with a F350 I have never been over on the GVWR of the vehicles involved. So just because you are over Fords recommendation for GCVWR doesnt mean you are overloaded. In order to know the actual GCVWR you have to know the GVWR of both vehicles, pickup and trailer. Only then you have a legal GCVWR. Has nothing to do with licensing, has to do with the wieght ratings of the vehicles id tags or stickers.
I would disagree with this, Marc.

Exceeding the GCVWR, GVWR, towing max or tongue weight is unsafe, in my opinion. How unsafe, I can't say. In your case, you didn't exceed the GVWR, but you did exceed the GCVWR and the max tow weight.

Farmers here do this often, towing the big 4 wheel farm wagons loaded with hay or clover bales. The GVWR isn't exceeded because the pickups don't bear any of the trailer's weight, except for the tow bar. They far exceed the GCVWR and max towing weight ratings, but since they do this only on rural roads and keep the speed down this practice is mostly ignored unless the farmers do something stupid and end up a statistic.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
I would disagree with this, Marc.

Exceeding the GCVWR, GVWR, towing max or tongue weight is unsafe, in my opinion. How unsafe, I can't say. In your case, you didn't exceed the GVWR, but you did exceed the GCVWR and the max tow weight.

Farmers here do this often, towing the big 4 wheel farm wagons loaded with hay or clover bales. The GVWR isn't exceeded because the pickups don't bear any of the trailer's weight, except for the tow bar. They far exceed the GCVWR and max towing weight ratings, but since they do this only on rural roads and keep the speed down this practice is mostly ignored unless the farmers do something stupid and end up a statistic.
My point is the GCVWR has to be based on the GVWRs of the vehicles involved. That is what the laws are based on. Comparing a 4 wheel wagon to a 30k gvw trailer is not apples to apples. Trailer has brakes on all three axles. My IH 4700 didnt handle the downhill grades and braking any better than my F350. Each vehicle (truck and trailer) is designed to handle its wieght with the proper suspension and brakes.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
mpbpulaski
Senior User
I'll have to disagree with you too, mudmaker. Whatever Ford states as the gcvwr is what it is. The "c" stands for combined - as in the combined weight of the loaded trailer and the loaded vehicle. You can't increase this # by hooking on to a larger trailer - doesn't work that way. The truck is rated to tow and handle a certain load and that is it. This # varies by truck configuration but NO F350 even comes close to a 42k combination rating and isn't safe to drive with that much of a load no matter what your trailer sticker says.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
You guys can disagree, but the legal combined wieght is just what I stated. I wouldnt have believed it either until I looked into running a hot shot to see what I could legally run. I ran a year with a f350 @42k. I actually only wieghed that much on one load. Most of the time I was around 30k.

When you really think about a truck that goes down the road at 80k GCVWR can just as easily swap trailer setups and run 105k GCVWR. The truck is still the same, but the trailer or trailers have more axles. The GCVWR just increased, but the truck didnt change. Brakes, engine, airbags etc are the same. The only thing is you still cant exceed the GVWR of the tractor. Same thing applies to a pickup just on a smaller scale.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM
mpbpulaski
Senior User
The only problem with that is that, like I stated, the gcvwr (the "r" is for RATING) NEVER increases. Sure, the gcvw increases but not the RATING. And that's what we are talking about. The trucks are rated for a maximum weight and that is it. Don't have the manual in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's 26k or less, depending on the truck setup.

But if you want to use the "if I can hook to it I can tow it" method that is your choice.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
The rating does increase! The GCVW is what ever your actual wieght is. GCVWR is what the combination is rated to haul. Everyone gets caught up on the rating Ford gives as a recommendation, but with out knowing the vehicles involved in the combination it is impossible to know what that rating is for sure. Dont get me wrong, I know I severly overworked that pickup, but believe it or not I never had any issues with safety, be it e braking or handling, that is why I argue the point. It is from experience, not just looking at numbers and assuming.

To bring this back the original topic: The whole reason I brought it up was guys giving the OP crap about grossing a mere 20k and saying he was abusing his 08 F350 thus the reason he was having issues. FWIW I just talked to the guy I sold my 99 to a few weeks ago. It just hit 400k miles. I worked it out hard for the first 125k miles, but she is still holding up. He pulls around a swather with it doing custom haying. If an 08 cant stand up to hauling much less than my 99 did something needs to be addressed. My 99 had an entirly new body design and I didnt have one issue other than clutches.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I share the roads every day with a lot of law abiding people and a few idiots. 5 over the legal limit is one thing, towing a load higher than your truck is rated for is something totally different.

Tell me, have you ever seen a travel trailer pull a vehicle off of the road and kill someone because the towing vehicle (an SUV) didn't have his trailer brakes wired up?

I have.

Have you ever known someone who was seriously injured because he was next to a person towing a load that was well over the capacity of his truck and trailer when a tire blew on the trailer, causing the truck and trailer to lose control and force the innocent motorist (my friend) off of the road?

I have.

Have you even seen what happens when someone tried to haul a small dozer on a flatbed without properly securing it, then is forced into panic stop on the freeway, killing himself when the dozer flattened his cab?

I have.

So, you can sit there with your thumb up your kazzoo if you want. I would have thought that you, being in the Coast Guard, would also stress safety as hard as I do.

If I read about someone being overtly unsafe I will jump them. PERIOD

Go ahead and try to bust my chops if you want, but you aren't going to slow my stride at all.
Ya that is a Extreme situations but we had the brakes fail on our 11,000 trailer going town a hill because a wire grounded out and no one got hurt.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
mastercaster
Senior User
marc is right. at least that is how it works here in texas, and not sure if changes state to state. a good friend of mine is an apd officer and works highway enforcement and explained it to me the same way. and that is all he does, stop otr rigs and trucks just like ours hauling loads, and checks them for proper registration, weights and so forth.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Citypol86
Senior User
Originally Posted by mudmaker
The rating does increase! The GCVW is what ever your actual wieght is. GCVWR is what the combination is rated to haul. Everyone gets caught up on the rating Ford gives as a recommendation, but with out knowing the vehicles involved in the combination it is impossible to know what that rating is for sure...
I can tell you that if you exceed the GVWR or GCVWR as stated by the manufacturer you can be dead-lined. Its overweight. The "rating" is not a suggestion. Ford knows their vehicle that's involved and says that it can't carry more than the GVWR and can't be combined to give a result of more than the GCVWR. Many guys have argued the point... on the side of the road waiting for another truck to off-load some of their load.
And yes, you can swap trailers to increase the GCVWR... as long as no single unit is past its GVWR.
Just my two cents, take it or leave it but I though you guys might be interested...

Last edited by Citypol86; 03-13-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Addition

Quick Reply: My 2008 F350 dually Hot Shot Transporter