1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

tips on removing 5speed tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Tim Shultz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tips on removing 5speed tranny?

anybody got any? does the transfer case need to be unbolted from the tranny? or take it all down as one? one guy said to unbolt the rear drive shaft from the axle and pull it off the transfer case? can I unbolt the shifter from inside the cab? any questions I'm missing? thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no the transfer case can stat bolted to the tranny... and as for the shifter take the 4 bolts out of the tranny and pull the shifter out... about the only way... even mine with a body lift would not come out without taking the shifter all the way out of the tranny... and the drive shaft has to be unbolted at the rear axle and unbolted from the transfer case.. and another thing... get a rear engine seal while you are doing the clutch... they are known to leak...

Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are working with a tranny jack leave the t-case. if you have to muscle the tranny in by hand remove the t-case. Also I would touch the rear main if its not leaking now. I have heard of very few leaking and they are tricky to put in correctly.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on your tranny jack, it may be easier to remove the transfer case sepatately. I did a 97 a couple weeks ago and removed the two together and it was one heavy ackward mess coming out. I found out our tranny/transfer cases are a lot beefier than I thought! I saved a lot of time and headache by putting them back in separately.

Another little tip: Be very careful with the transfer case linkage when prying the "link" apart. I broke the aluminum piece and had to have it welded. I've done many of these and F150 (same piece) transmissions in the past and never had a problem but after I broke this I found out others have done the same.