Sponsored by:

I want to install a transmission temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM
BobBarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
*ALL* electronic transmissions, which includes every Excursion ever built, has a temperature sender inside the transmission. If you are installing an aftermarket gauge that needs a sender you can't use the factory sender. If you use a gauge that connects to the OBDII port and reads the PCM data, that's the sender you will be reading.

The factory sender is VERY accurate, the calibration on the gauge in the dash is next to useless. If you use a gauge the reads the OBDII data it will have a very accurate reading.
That's very interesting to know.

Is there a rundown anywhere of all the sensors that the PCM draws information from, which would be available through the OBDII port?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
NO IT DOES NOT. You have to install one yourself. The 6.0 trucks did have a sensor but it is about as lame as the oil pressure sensor or any of the other Ford gauges except for speedo and tach and maybe fuel.
Ya I was just double checking because I did add one when I installed my Dipricol trans gauge

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Ya I was just double checking because I did add one when I installed my Dipricol trans gauge
I don't see a sender but Mark said there is one internally. If you want to install one for your gauge, you definately have to go install one either in the pan or the test port.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the disconnect here is that you need an OBD2 gauge to read the OEM sensor.

I believe you guys that want to install a non-ODB2 gauge STILL have to install your OWN sensor to connect to.

Also as Mark points out...the OEM GAUGE is the inaccurate PART of the OEM package. The gauge is calibrated to a very SMALL window to move. Meaning once the trans hits 100°F ... the OEM dash gauge will NOT move again until it hits 220°F. Trust me though the OBD2 OEM sensor puts out ACCURATE temperature data that my OBD2 Aeroforce gauge displays in digital format.

So perhaps the misunderstanding here is that if you want to go with a NON-OBD2 gauge...you WILL have to install a sensor to connect to...but if you do as I did with my AeroForce gauge or others have done with the ScanGauge II...you do NOT need to install a transmission temp sensor...you get to use what Ford put in there for you!

Thanks Mark for clarifying!...I think folks may have confused the lack of trans temp gauge on the dash with having no sensor in the trans?

joe.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:01 AM
anothersteveg
Junior User
Good discussion, thanks everyone.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 AM
johnny567
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I monitor the trans temp with my Scan Gauge 2. It displays much more than trans temp and also reads/clears dtcs. I'm happy with it thus far.

I bought mine from www.mgtmotorsports.com and I spent the extra and got the blendmount kit, which works well. I need to buy a longer 14' Ethernet cable though because I routed the cable so it can't be seen.

www.scangauge.com
does the scangauge 2 display oil pressure readings?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
icecold
Mountain Pass
aeroforce rocks

thanks hemi x guy i'm going the same route i just ordered a gauge off their website should have it next week at the latest.

is it safe to assume i need nothing more than the gauge pod and some paint now and i'm all set???

thanks
pete

Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Pete,

That's a safe assumption!

If you see my link on page 1...I've got all the details about places to purchase the pod and paint...prices, web sites, etc...

You can see my paint match is not 100% perfect...but I've put some other alternatives that 'should' give a better paint match...mine isn't bad...just not perfect...I don't think it looks noticable at all though...

Good luck...post some photos when you get her installed!

And remember if you have any questions...post them here too or drop Todd an email at Aeroforce...he's usually right on top of it!

joe.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
icecold
Mountain Pass
x hemi

yes i did check out your link your instructions are great.i ordered the gauge tonight and am ordering the pod tomorrow from summit racing as i'm ordering some other stuff too.this looks to be a nice fix for those of us who want/need more accuarcy out of our gauges.i too like the single gauge in th pod as a very clean install with little/no vision loss,plus i get to keep the grab bar.

thanks for the links and writeup guys like you keep these forums running
pete

Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
toolboxjunky
Senior User
Smile trans sensor local

i put mine in the test port no problems dead accurate checked it with my snap-scanner and the my edge. went to cheap on gauges bought glow-shifts they do the job every now and then the pyro freaks out and pegs

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
chiefn10
Senior User
where is the test port located at? i bought a set of glowshift guages and want to install the sensor, bought not sure where exactly it should go. glowshift instructions are crap!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefn10
where is the test port located at?
It's on the driver’s side of the trans case, just above the pan flange, and just ahead of where the transmission wiring harness exits the transmission.

Pull the plug, put your finger over the hole to keep trans fluid from slowly dripping on you, then screw in your trans temp sending unit.

The sending unit should ground to the case, but make sure you don't overtighten the unit when it does ground out on the trans case.

Stewart