1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
bliss1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im in no rush, it will be a little while till i get to the rear. looking at my frame and making meuserments it looks like the frame they did is constant thickness thru the whole frame. where are frames are thicker in front of the axle and taper thinner behind wich causes it to be further from the ground. just my thoughts.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
carcrafter22
Senior User
The only way I can see the IRS working on our trucks with the CV front suspension is to back half it and make a custom frame that dips down lower and rework the floor on the bed. The other way would involve making a Z in the front frame to raise the CV front suspension up higher. I think the second idea would be the best way but either way is very involved and time consuming, in the end it would be easier to go with the mustang II suspension and IRS or the CV suspension and leafs or some sort of 4 link rear with air bags or coilovers.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 AM
bliss1
Senior User
i was going to just going to do the the leaf set up you have, but dicided to contact them and see what was able to be done. know they are trying to get everything to make design changes to make it work for are trucks. ive got time, i pick up my front end today and need to get that installed before i can even worry about the rear. we wills ee what they come up with between now and then.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
bliss1
Senior User
could i get someone that has the cv IFS and the rear at the same level to get me 3 measurments. i need from the ground to bottom of the frame and the center line of the axle to the bottom of the frame. the third one is easy, what tire size is on the truck. dave has got the frame all drawn out and need these last measurments to move forward. thanks for any help that can be provided.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
mlevario99
Senior User
carcrafter22, how did you install your steering shaft to the CV suspension, 72-F100-4V mentioned somehitng on one of the posts but I'll have to buy more items. I was thinking to get one of the Borgesson u-joints, the one with 3/4" smooth on one end and the 3/4" 36-spline in the other end, I think this might work since the shaft from the CV is 3/4".

Any suggestions.
Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
carcrafter22
Senior User
I used the cv steering shaft and some 3/16" wall 1" tubing and 1 knuckle joint to go from the rack and pinion to my steering column.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
mlevario99
Senior User
carcrafter22, do you have any pics of your setup, do you had to any welding to this set up.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 11:07 PM
jmfnx
New User
Some problems need advice

I checked the alignment holes and they were all within 2/16 very good measurements. Last night the outside to outside rails were 33.5 inches that seemes different than the 34 quoted by many. I have put a brace before cutting out the crossmember. There are no signs it has been punched will check to see if it is not supported correctly. The other question is the factory rivet holes are causing a problem with my alignment dowels. If I drill the M18 holes it will be very very close to the two holes from the rivets/alignment 1/4 inch. Does anyone have a good location for the alignment dowel. I was going to use the rivet hole but it is offset and will be out of round. However if the frame is slightly off due to not being supported and slight elastic flex it might be a perfect "starter" hole location. My main need is a good way to align the dowels in reference to the frame holes. I made a template out of 1/4 inch steel but like I said the correct location for the hub was .5 inches behind the first of the 3 close holes on top of the frame. Any help will be appreciated as I am too tired to think.
Jason

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Bryan K
New User
Thumbs up

I'm doing the same mod and was persuing a differnt route but had a change of heart after hearing that a police interceptor will work. I had gotten a bolt in front end from a 67 chevy truck that I was toying with. it made my wife mad that i was considering a hybrid of sorts but i ike the idea of the police interceptor to keep it ford and give the ride height and strenght i was looking for.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carcrafter22, nice work on the IFS install. I'm going to take a good look to see if it will work on my '88 F150.
If you are interested in the T-Bird IRS install, I've done it. The truck is sitting 6" below stock and it's airbagged. I went the difficult way and fully welded the subframe into my frame. You can check out my gallery for the install.
IRS Axle pictures by Sportruk1 - Photobucket

Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Bryan K
New User
Carcrafter22 was the truck level at ride height with the axle on top of the springs? Im already tracking down the crossmember due to inside help at the local pd. cant wait to get this in and get this 2 year delay up and going again

Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
My thoughts on the IRS rear suspension was to modify the IRS frame not my truck frame .? I havnt got the rearend close to under the truck but I was thinking of modifing the mounting points of the IRS to fit the frame not lowering the frame . Maybe cut the wings (mounting points) off of it then flip them or build new ones to get closer to the correct hieght (may change my mind when I actually see it under there ) I also believe that a new design independent suspension modified older truck would be very cool .

Also with the alignment pins on the cv frontend, I was going to drill the hole where needed and reinforce the new hole with a homemade washer .( make the washer the diameter that you need , then weld it to the frame, then fill the excess of the old hole with weld, then grind the washer off and this should leave you a new resized hole ) Ive used this many times on dirt cars in the past .

Sorry after reading the post from before again , I believe you are asking how to confirm that you have the holes in the correct spot not make the new one tight . Sorry
Has anyone installed a 5.0 in the cv frontend ? If so what kind of headers are you using ? thanks rg

Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opps, missed the pic.
Name:  RearAxle190.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  129.8 KB

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
bryon , i believe that cc originally put the rearend on top of the springs but it set the rearend 2 -3 inches lower than the front . he came up with a differnt solution that took only 1 1/2 hours to modify . i believe it was toward the front of the posts . page 10 or so . i will look and try to let you know . rg

Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
bliss1
Senior User
dave sent me a updated side profile of a stock 66 f100 with there irs brackets. as you can see there brackets wont even touch the frame the way they are designed now. as soon as i can get the measurments for are trucks with the cv ifs we can get a updated profile and work on making it fit.

Quick Reply: Buildup!! 06 crown vic front suspension into 67 F100