1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 center console installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM
lanceparker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2008 center console installed!

Well after some assurances that my purchase wouldn't be in vain and that the newly designed 08 console would fit, I bought one. UPS delivered it Tuesday night and I had it installed that night. Let me just say that I love it, the extra space it has created is absolutely amazing. There are plenty of pics of it in my gallery. If I knew how to post the actually pics here I would, but I don't.

First off, as long as you buy as console with the mounting brackets you will be fine. All of the mount holes align perfectly with what is there already.

The console sits nice and level. The spacing in between the seats is right on as well. If you are thinking about this mod and you have the 40/20/40 seat like I had the new console is narrower than the jump seat by a couple of inches, but it does not look bad. It really makes the truck look like true captain chairs.

Now the medium stone color that you may read on certain ebay listings as almost a tan color and that it matches really well to the tan color interiors of the 03-07 model trucks is wrong. Pictures don't really do true justice to the coloration change between the two, but there definitely is one. You can tell that this is a gray console and not tan. I will be painting the sides this weekend to make it match and that is not a big deal at all. The sides and back are really easy to take apart.

You also will not need to worry about having to have armrest on your seats because this console sits up nice and tall and is at a great height to be used as an armrest.

Like I said before, I love this console and it was an incredibly simple mod for those of us looking for more storage space. Please check out my gallery for all of the pics I have thus far. I will take some more after this weekend when I get the console painted to match my interior.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
superdutyquest
Senior User
Thanks lanceparker.I just ordered mine,thanks to your info,should be here next week sometime.What kind/color paint are you going to use?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
NorCalBusa
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear- mine lands next week as well. Yeah- how are you going to paint that plastic? Rattle can? Stain? Something else?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa
Good to hear- mine lands next week as well. Yeah- how are you going to paint that plastic? Rattle can? Stain? Something else?
Duplicolor works well on plastic.

Nice job on the install Lance. If I didn't know what I was looking at, I would just assume that was how they came stock. How hard do you think it would be to rig up brackets that allowed it to mount a couple of inches farther back to accomodate a stick? Would the bottom countour still fit the floor?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 AM
lanceparker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by superdutyquest
Thanks lanceparker.I just ordered mine,thanks to your info,should be here next week sometime.What kind/color paint are you going to use?
What I am going to do as far as paint goes, I went to my local auto-parts store and started looking at the spray can selections. I looked at dupli-color for vinyl and fabrics first, but couldn't find a tan color that was close to the tan of my truck. I ended up finding a paint by Krylon, it is actually the tan they sell for making camoflauge. It matches really well, it will be so close that you won't notice a difference.

Originally Posted by NorCalBusa
same as above NorCalBusa

Originally Posted by F350-6
Duplicolor works well on plastic.

Nice job on the install Lance. If I didn't know what I was looking at, I would just assume that was how they came stock. How hard do you think it would be to rig up brackets that allowed it to mount a couple of inches farther back to accomodate a stick? Would the bottom countour still fit the floor?
Really I wouldn't think it would be very difficult at all. You have a little room left that the floor maintains that same contour. so if you only needed a couple of inches I wouldn't think you would have a major problem. If anything your mounting brackets might rise off the floor just a little but I wouldn't think it would be noticeable. You could probably use the mounting brackets from the jump seat to do the mod. The jump seat mounting brackets are a rail style bracket and instead of bracket running from side to side (front mounting hole to other front hole) they run front to back (left side front to left side back). So I would think you could find a way to incorporate those brackets to do your spacing (of course all depending on how handy your are).

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
the Goat
Senior User
How hard do you think it would be to rig up brackets that allowed it to mount a couple of inches farther back to accomodate a stick? Would the bottom countour still fit the floor?
I put a 2008 console in my 2008 F250 with manual transmission. It does work with the stock brackets. But when you shift into "low gear" and some times "second gear" the stick will bump into the drink holders on the console. This is only when you shift into the gear. Once you are in gear the stick moves forward enough to not rub on the console. I am planing on rigging up custom brackets to mount it two inches further back once the weather warms up. I don't know yet if I will modify the factory console or jump seat brackets or go total custom.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by the Goat
I put a 2008 console in my 2008 F250 with manual transmission. It does work with the stock brackets. But when you shift into "low gear" and some times "second gear" the stick will bump into the drink holders on the console. This is only when you shift into the gear. Once you are in gear the stick moves forward enough to not rub on the console. I am planing on rigging up custom brackets to mount it two inches further back once the weather warms up. I don't know yet if I will modify the factory console or jump seat brackets or go total custom.
That's what I was curious about. When I get a new truck I'm going to have to do this since Ford won't sell me the stick with captains chairs anymore.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Storm
Postmaster
That's what I was curious about. When I get a new truck I'm going to have to do this since Ford won't sell me the stick with captains chairs anymore.
Go get you 2x2 or 1x1 Square Tubing cut to how far back you want the console to go..

Done several like that for folks that needed it moved back.. You'll need to get new bolts as well. It'll work..

Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Just to touch base.. We have quite a few of these come in and out of the shop..

That is not your "Gray" that 99-07 is use to.. If you plan to buy a Console, no matter what you do, YOU WILL not find the Gray we have (also known as Medium Flint).. Ford did away with the color and came up with Medium Stone that adds a touch of Tan.. IMO it looks like crap.. I have not had a console YET that I didn't have to either spray down Gray or Tan for a customer. I've had both color sets from Ford direct.

Why they did this is beyond me.. Just FYI for you looking. Hate for ya'll to buy a "Gray" one listed on Ebay and it come in wondering why the hell it looked Tan.. It's just the way it was..