K&N Filter system

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Gary_56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only noise I hear is the intake of air when running, yep'er you can hear it sucking in unrestricted air, kinda sounds like 'wooshing' long and constant. People that hear it like it, plus I know the quanity going in is far greater than the stock set-up with its 1 1/2" opening, the K&N is almost unrestricted allowing 100% more air to be drawn in. If you want to see the dyno charts go to their web-site and check it out.
They also show the installation instructions for the assembly.
TRY IT YOU"LL LIKE IT.
When I first tried the filters, it was the stock replacement and I noticed a .5mpg increase, plus greater accelation. Like I mentioned in my post, now I'm getting 16mpg that is with a Banks header system also.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
EXPI
New User
Thanks G-56! I had checked the K&N website before but was concerned about accuracy of their own propaganda(!?!).

I'll post mileage report w/new filter/induction system after x-country trip later this summer .

Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Gary_56
New User
Keep in mind-that is just my experience, you might not get the same. I've noticed that some don't like the K&N system-so go with your judgement, or better yet talk to a couple of auto shops people and prehaps some proformance shops, another good person is someone in the auto parts bussiness.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
kevlapp
New User
K&n

Have you looked into TrueFlow?

I looked at all possabilties for my '06 Expedition and ended up with TrueFlow only for the fact that it keeps the air box thus keeping the air filter enclosed. I have notice an increase in power & am able to get 30 - 40 miles out of a tank of gas.

Bottom line is; do your research on what will fit your 250 and decide what you think will look good and go for it.

Basically all will do the same. Also, you will get alot of good and bad feedback on these systems ....... take each one with a grain of salt and make your decicion based on that.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM
kevlapp
New User
sorry i meant that I get an extra 30 - 40 miles on a tank

Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 AM
hayden01
Mountain Pass
Yes I too have noticed a increase in gas milage in my '84 full size Bronco with a mild 302. I had a 4" tall paper filter in her and I got K&N the same size and right away noticed a increase in my throtle responce. Also with my recent trip up to Portland, OR (which is about 60 or so miles from my home town) I had to have her in 4 HI with chains for about 30 or so miles. Even with the hubs locked in in 2 HI for the first have of the trip, then having to engage the 4WD with chains I used about the same amount of gas as I would have if I went up there in 2 HI hubs unlocked under normal freeway speed.

In short I love my K&N air filter!! With the improuved milage, power, and throtle responce!!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
neil 95 e350
Senior User
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Hi guys- Just a note to let you know some updated info: I just traded my '03 cadilac deville on an '07 Jeep grand cherokee laredo, 3.7 litre V-6, auto. Mileage started about 19.2 on the highway. I installed a K&N filter ONLY, not the entire intake system and the highway mileage has increased to 22.4. This is using the cruise control religiously and staying right around 55-60. Engine power increase hasnt really been that noticable but the fuel mileage showed right away.
Hope this helps- a K&N system, or any other for that matter might not help but it sure cant hurt!
Karl

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
BEAST428
Tuned
Just put a K&N on my 2003 5.4 pig of an Excursion. New vehicle. Over 30mph it acts like a different truck. K&N said 11+hp but I think more than that. I may try to tow my camper with it this summer. By the way I found it on an online trader site for 75 dollars. What a deal.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
Glad your happy if you have any questions in the future please let us know

Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Cattle Rancher 82
Freshman User
I put a K&N in my 97 f250 5.8, 5 speed when it had 240 thousand miles on it.
In 5,000 miles my throttle body plates were sticking closed. I had to clean my throttle body & IAC valve.
After that, I took the K&N out and put back in a Napa Gold like I use to have.
5,000 miles later after having the Napa Gold filter in & after cleaning the throttle body, it still looks clean.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure it terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

I have run K&N products on many vehicles, motorcycles (dirt), and my 65 mustang with good results. However, I also have OASIS documented files, verifying the required replacement of the MAF (3 times) on our new (at the time) 1997 Cougar Sport...which we still have, due to oil based contamination....caused by new installed K&N filter.....On 3rd replacement, the K&N filter was removed (by myself and witnessed by the SA), no further issues with the MAF in 14 years.
K&N had no response at the time to my written notice and request for refund- except later in 1998 while at a their Booth, I had the filter in the K&N box in my hand with the receipt & the Ford docs and spoke to the rep regarding the issue and refund. Just got the typical....you'll have to call the 800 number routine.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Torren61
Freshman User
I have a K&N cold air intake for a 2008-2010 6.4L diesel. It's in an unopened box. It's for sale. $300 plus shipping. After I get 25 posts, I'm gonna start a thread on it.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Briarcreekrat
Junior User
I have had great luck with the K&N brand, ease of maintenance is just one of the perks.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
How much easier is it, compared to remove the old install the new?
I hated mine, I hated the easy maintenance, I hated oiling it, I hated how loud it was, while towing, I noticed absolutely no gain's anywhere, and it was a waste of money for me. For the price of that filter, my time maintaining that filter, (not to mention the truck being outta service for a day, while you maintained it), the cost of the cleaning/oil kit, I could have bought a lot of paper ones.
(This was on my old 03 F-150 5.4ltr)

It is up to the end user, in the end, but I will never waste money on an aftermarket filter again.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter system