Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another benefit to seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 AM
vasten
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another benefit to seafoam

I ran the seafoam through my intake this weekend, and as the plumes of smoke came rolling out the tailpipes. I found another great benefit to this product that they should list on the can. I found my exhaust leak, it is leaking at the doughnuts on both sides.

Now here is where I need thoughts and opinions, obviously I need to fix this. First thought is to take out the bolts and replace them, since they are 14yrs old they are not coming off without a fight. I dont have torches available yet. So I need to cut them off some how.

Also a friend of mine told me I am better off replacing the manifold while I am there and upgrading to headers over stock and be done with it. However the manifolds look like they are off the titanic they are so crusted over.

I guess the advice I need is how to get these bolts out and the pros and cons of each idea. I would hate to add on the headers only to have the computer reset the engine to stock.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had to remove the exhaust on two different F-series at the y-pipe manifold connection. Both times I tried just removing the studs and at least one broke. Both times I needed to remove the manifolds to remove the broken studs.
You could try just replacing the studs, but be prepared if one should snap. You'll probably end up removing the manifolds as well. As long as the manifolds are still straight, no problem in reusing them.
Buy some good sharp drill bits if you have any bolts or studs snap.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soak them manifold bolts down with either seafoam deep creep or P B Blaster do it methodically for a few days before you wanna start the project....

JR

Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
whdahel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just use the hot wrench (torches) before you start to unbolt them. heat em up till they are cherry and they will come right out.