1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 f1 power steering options

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,822 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Agreed, like dmack91 suggested it would be better if you started out with a new thread.

There are several guys around here who have mounted power steering pumps to the flathead and could probably give you some advice. The power steering box of choice is the 79-85 Toyota 4x4 steering box (from trucks with the solid front axle, the independent front suspension 4x4's are different).

Good luck
Bobby

Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 PM
jjpeach
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I plan to also put power steering on my 50 Ford F1. No one has clearly shown me how to install the pump and where it would drive from. I have a plan that no one has even suggested. Press out the shaft that holds the fan and have a pulley built that will fit next to the pulley that drives the fan. I won 't know if it will work until I get the engine back on the frame and determine if there will be clear path to where the pump will mount. Still need to find a Toyota steering gear.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM
jjpeach
Freshman User
dmack91,
Thanks for your suggestion. I am looking for the Toyota steering gear; haven't had any luck but will keep looking. I am hoping to put another pulley next to the one that drives the fan. won't know if it will work until I get the engine back on the frame.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
jjpeach
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bnmsbronco
Hey guys

I am planning to add p/s to my f1 and was wondering what my options are out there, and what others have used with original straight axles. I have seen kits using a toyota gear box for the f-100s but nothing for an f-1. I also have seen a power assist set up attaching to the tie rod. I like the toyota set up a little better, any ideas would be appreciated. thanks Matt
There will be a kit on Ebay in approx. a week or so that offers P/S pump that will mount on a 50' ford flathead in less than an hour. It is fully assembled; Rebuilt Saginaw Pump with new 5.8" pulley. It includes a 3" alternator pulley that takes a 5/8 belt and 1/2" belt. It is set up for an alternator with the "Y" type mounting bracket. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a generator as well?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
A good place to "look" for a used Toyota steering box is to search out clubs or groups that do a lot of offroading and/or rock climbing. The early Toy 4x4 truck is very popular, but when heavily lifted the original gearbox doesn't work, so they pull them out and replace it with the newer style box. Many have the old box under a bench on a shelf, or thrown in a corner, and are glad to get rid of it. Don't be afraid of going with a used box, there are near bulletproof. In fact most of the ones sold as "rebuilt" just have the external shaft seals replaced, painted and tested, or quite often are just painted.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I installed my Toyota Steering Box I went with a Manual Toyota unit, sense I didn't want to try to install a pump on the Flat 6. There were some guys on here years ago talking about an Electric Pump possibly being used. But I'm perfectly happy with my manual unit, besides nothing else is power on the truck anyhow....

Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
Are any of you guys using the stock steering column with the Toyota Box. If so, how much hassel was it to install

I have just finished the Toyota box conversion on my 55. If the box and various dimensions are the same on your 51 I intend to post a pictorial and article on the complete project.

A quick answer to your question about the original column....it was no hassle at all but I think I can offer you some info to avoid the surprises I had.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much are the Toyota power steering boxes going for now. I've had on sitting on the shelf for 8 years now. Bought it then decided to go with a manual unit .......

Old 01-30-2015, 01:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If they have the hose fittings typically 20.00 -150.00 Mostly around the 100.00 mark.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:08 PM
jjpeach
Freshman User
The Toyota seems to be the way to go. There is a pump mounting kit listed on EBay; 1950 Ford F1 V8 Flathead p/s pump kit. This may be something you will need with the Toyota gear.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM
robtn195
New User
toyota steering box

Originally Posted by 51ford fan
How much are the Toyota power steering boxes going for now. I've had on sitting on the shelf for 8 years now. Bought it then decided to go with a manual unit .......

I'll pay $150 and add another $30 for shipping to 76513 (central texas). My e-mail is robtn195@aol.com--thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 03:40 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I was able to find a 1953 Ford pump on eBay but it was missing the bracket connecting it to the block. Couldn't find one unless I wanted to pay a high price for an entire kit which I did not need. So after designing a three piece bracket using Google's free Sketchup CAD program today we made the brackets using a plasma cutter. They are fascinating to watch as it cuts through 3/16" plate steel with no effort. It took longer to create the CAD drawings and set up the plasma cutter than it did for the machine to cut them out. The most complicated one only took just over 1.5 minutes. Here is the video:

CAD drawing

Finished parts sandblasted and ready for chrome powder coating

Anybody need me to make another set?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Pete, got any pictures installed? Not sure if that will work on a Y-Block.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Pete, got any pictures installed? Not sure if that will work on a Y-Block.
Here you go BJ. I finally welded the upper halves together, sandblasted everything and then used ChromeMax powder paint from powderbuythepound.com. I had some powder ordered from Eastwood but they could not fill it because of the fire that they had.

The chrome finish looks a lot better than the picture shows.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Pete what belt are you going to use to drive the pump? Also, can you make me a bracket to mount the Jag pump on my Flathead?

Quick Reply: 51 f1 power steering options