Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM
western star
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Nice Nice Deal by comparison up here in Alberta a 2005 Limited 4X4 Ex with the 6.0 and 46000 kilometers on it just sold for $48,900 in just 3 days of being listed. I bet you could make money on your Ex up here

Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 PM
stugpanzer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by western star
Nice Nice Nice Deal by comparison up here in Alberta a 2005 Limited 4X4 Ex with the 6.0 and 46000 kilometers on it just sold for $48,900 in just 3 days of being listed. I bet you could make money on your Ex up here
Don't get me thinking like that....My wife will kill me and you! LOL!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
stugpanzer,

Sent this to you in private...so here's a public CONGRATS !!!

That is one clean looking Ex.

Have you verified that the tires are E range?...can't remember...

You are gonna say WOW the first time you tow with it...well after your Tahoe experience!...you need to share that link to your blog!

Welcome to the Ex family...this forum is a very friendly place...not much flaming at ALL like over on RV.net...these folks are here to help so ask away!

Now...work on your wife about Gatlinburg!!!

joe.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
stugpanzer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
stugpanzer,

Sent this to you in private...so here's a public CONGRATS !!!

That is one clean looking Ex.

Have you verified that the tires are E range?...can't remember...

You are gonna say WOW the first time you tow with it...well after your Tahoe experience!...you need to share that link to your blog!

Welcome to the Ex family...this forum is a very friendly place...not much flaming at ALL like over on RV.net...these folks are here to help so ask away!

Now...work on your wife about Gatlinburg!!!

joe.
Yes, the tires are E range tires.

I can't wait to tow with this baby! That will be soon. We are taking notes of small problems with the new trailer and I will be taking it to the dealer to get those fixed so we can be ready for our maiden voyage on Easter weekend!

I will see what I can do about Gatlinburg.....

Thanks for everything Joe!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
JSPajak
Senior User
What mods is Joe (X_Hemi_Guy) suggesting? I'm interested since my Ex is an '00 V10

Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
spugpanzer...hope you don't mind...I'll post that info here for others to see that may have missed it...

Of those that COMPLAIN about something on the Ex...There are TWO major issues folks complain about. Trouble is...it seems to be hit or miss whether your Ex HAS the issue or not...if you DO...you KNOW!

They are as follows:

1) Steering wander
2) Rear end sag

Both of these have one common culprit and then I'll talk about a new piece of information we have been chasing that may also help fix #1.

The rear leaf springs on the Ex are the LIGHTEST of all Ford Super Duty chassis. Ford chose a softer spring for the Ex for the family ride. However they then went an put a HUGE spacer block between the springs and the axle. Those two items attribute to IMO MOST of the issues we face. So what to do.

Well it really depends on the TONGUE weight you are attempting to load (your TT will dictate this) and then the family load you put inside your Ex. Loading on the rear axle if on the HIGH side will begin to show the rear end sag and possibly rear wander...I think the tolerancing that Ford uses on suspension parts coupled with personal loading habits, size of family and tongue weight ALL contribute to wheter one Ex suffers from this ailment or not...

A small aside here. I 'suspect' Ford figured the high center of gravity (CG) and rear spring configuration 'could' likely produce spring wrapping...so they put in 1/2 a fix. If you look under your Ex you will see a spring on the BOTTOM of the spring stack and it shoots forward...at the end of that spring is a rubber snubber that pushes up against the front leaf spring hanger/bolt area. That spring is Fords attempt to resist axle wrapping BUT under acceleration ONLY. Under braking or when your TT tongue pushes on the rear of the Ex...those leaf springs flex unevenly and wrap...causing rear wander...

SO...what are our choices. Well some go the LandYot route...I believe LandYots will fix this issue...HOWEVER...it ONLY fixes this ONE issue and I feel there are other options that fix multiple issues with ONE FIX...so I normally suggest those as the bang for the buck is much larger.

What do I suggest? Well my suggestions for shoring up the rear suspension start with a Hellwig sway bar if you don't have a stock one on yours...if you have one...you are good to go!

Next there is a product called the RoadMaster Active suspension (RAS) that I have installed on my Ex. Another option is to replace your rear springs with F250/350 stiffer springs (Stewart_H and others have gone that route). EITHER of these options has shown very effective in reducing this condition.

I went with the RAS only because I felt it would be easier for my skills to tackle that one...although others that have done the springs have told me it isn't too hard...

What either of these mods will do is ADD rear spring capacity and thus helps to eliminate that rear sagging and rear wrapping and rear wander many Ex owners feel.

My tongue can go as high as 1200# when I haul water...prior to the RAS and when I had high cross winds or semi's passing on the highway...the rear of the Ex would really get pushed around...and that caused many many steering inputs from me...not very relaxing.

SINCE I have gone to the RAS...the rear of the Ex is PLANTED...it is very MUCH improved and allows for stress free towing as I roll down the road at 17,000# combined!

So this ONE modification of either RAS or F250/350 springs WILL cure your Ex if your Ex needs curin'

To be fair...if you wanted Landyots...depending on the version you buy...you may have to cut out that forward spring (anti-wrap snubber) BUT you will also likley have to install air bags to help with the rear end sag (that's that TWO mods I spoke of). Others have done it and are very happy...BTW, Many have gone air bags before me...and are happy...I just feel the one mod of the RAS for less $$$ than the Landyots alone...is a simpler way to go IMO.

I also eluded to another thing we are chasing. Canadian_Smokie did something recently. I did it last spring...He did a MUCH better job of paying attention though and documenting his mod.

We had front end shops install a set of adjustable camber/caster shims. Only thing I don't have is what he set my final caster too...BUT...we've learned that the spec for caster is HUGE from the factory...I had my front end shop put my camber on the postive side of the spec WHILE he induced positive caster as well...I just don't have the number...smokie does...the camber spec is TIGHT where as the caster is WIDE...so perhaps my Ex is one of the better handling because of that mod...don't know.

Another suggested mod is a set Bilstein shocks...I replaced them this summer. Cost was ~$250 shipped to my door.

Two sites you can get them from are http://www.shockwarehouse.com/ for this site on checkout enter "fordtrucks" code for a 5% discount or you could go to http://eshocks.com/. These two sites go back and forth for the lowest price...so check them out.

Last thing you need to ensure is you have E range tires...on 'some' years you just don't know what you have...just make sure there are E range ones on there...Tire pressures can play havoc with handling characteristics...do NOT discount the importance of tires in the overall suspension. Start at what is needed for the load in the way of psi in the tires. Then if needed for stability go up in 5 psi increments to find the handle...I found that 60 front and 70 rear works best for my setup.

That's it for Ex mods...

From a hitch perspective...well...there are MANY OPTIONS today...

I had the Reese Dual Cam (DC) and it performed very well. You can pick up a DC or Equal-i-zer for right around $400 shipped to your door with 1200# bars...If your tongue is heavier...Equal-I-zer makes a 1400# set. If you can, I'd start there. Then if you find you can't find a handle to suit your comfort level...you can look at the other choices and sell your other one.

On an Ex...you basically have 2 options (IMO). A Hensley (what I have) and ProPride. If you don't know...ProPride is a NEW company out there that is selling another version of the Hensely...in fact this one is ALSO designed by Jim Hensley...the price difference between the two is significant. $$$ talks in my house...if I were in the market today...I'd be hard pressed to go Hensley...sorry...anyone interested in more...PM me...I've got more I can share on these hitches in private...

I intentionally left out Pull-Rite...The mounting solution for the Pull-Rite is horrible on an Excursion...but I feel the Pull-Rite has a techincal edge in mechanical advantage due to how it is mounted...but on the Ex...it is a horrible install (IMO)...you can search if you want on the Pull-Rite...great hitch...

In 2006 I towed 7000 miles with my Ex and the DC and my 27' 7500# TT thru the Black Hills, Big Horns and Rockies...at that point I only had the Hellwig...NO ISSUES.

In 2007 I towed 5000 miles with the Ex and Hensley BUT I now have a 35' hitch to bumper 9000# TT...we tackled the Appalachians this past summer...BUT I added the Bilsteins, RAS and front camber/caster adjustment to the mix...NO ISSUES.

This coming summer I've got over 5000 miles planned (same setup as last)...We are headed to the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches and then up and over Vail pass (~10,200') and Eisenhower pass (~11,300'). I expect NO ISSUES.

I tow LONG 12-14 hour days too...I can normally tow at highway speed in traffic with only one hand 'needed' on the wheel. The Ex and TT track as ONE...we arrive at our destination and I'm no more tired than had I just driven our mini-van 12-14 hours...I am NOT fighting each and every truck passing or cross-wind blowing...it is a stable tow.

Which mods are needed?...well that really depends on your TT...the heavier tongue...will reveal more of the Ford features on this truck. IMO the RAS (~$300), the Hellwig (~$200), and a set of Bilsteins (~$250) are something each Ex that tows a 9000# TT should have. The camber/caster should be attacked IF (big if) YOUR EX shows excessive wander. It is a hit or miss depending on shims from factory as to where in that HUGE caster spec YOUR Ex falls...

The Ex can be an incredible TV...no doubt...but Ford did us NO FAVORS in selecting that rear spring setup!

Hope this helps...

joe.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info joe. I like the length lol. Keep up the good work

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
stugpanzer
Freshman User
Thats perfect Joe....better said by you than me! I will be looking doing the rear sway bar first.....

Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
njstevens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and welcome to the board. Your gonna love the X for towing