Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Opinions:- Synthetic Oils

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
cl8ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions:- Synthetic Oils

I havn't made the jump to synthetic oils yet. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions about brands etc?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you go to the list of forums and scroll down, there is a forum on lubrication and oil. There is probably more information in there than what you will want to read. As for what type of oil, there are a host of opinions in that forum. My personal opinion, I use amsoil, but I don't believe you will go wrong with any of them. Just be sure to use a good filter that is designed for extended drain intervals. The extended drain intervals is where synthetic oil comes into play as being an economical way to go. Not to mention, if you put 2000 to 3000 miles on your truck a week, you'd be changing your oil every weekend or two using dino oil. Also, make sure you are using a good air filter. Dirty air will shorten the engine life, and contaminate the oil.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
cl8ton
Senior User
Thanks John

I will check that Forum out.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, LOTS more info there then you will ever need.

-Matt

Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

I still use dino oil in all my vehicles. I used to put synthetic in my Focus once in a while, that was back when it was a lot harder to find 5w20 oil than it is now.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
cl8ton
Senior User
Thats interesting Chad. Dino oil is cheaper but I was wondering if I might get a bit better fuel milage though? Did you find a difference in the "Focus" with the Synthetic?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Nothing dramatic that ever caught my attention...

Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Synthetic is the way to go

Unless you have engine oil leaks.

Synthetic I was told by an SAE oil engineer is engineered to have all the molecules the same size and shape thus giving the oil a ballbearing effect in your engine and cutting down on heat and resistance.

Now you can say that's a crock of ***** but I will tell you from personal experience I use to own a 1990 bought from new Izuzu Trooper, it had a 5speed manual transmission and used 5w30 motor oil in the transmission integral transfer case.

From new in the winter when the truck was cold in the morning or otherwise the first drive of the day the Shifter was always hard to push into gear until the transmission warmed up for a couple of minutes.

I was talking to a fellow that said he used Mobil1 Synthetic oil for just that reason and if I put it in my Transmission integral transfer case it wouldn't matter how cold it was the transmission would shift like a hot summer day.

I figured what did I have to lose except maybe $20.00 so I did the change and I must say I have not been that impressed with too many things, it was amazing the transmission was so smooth and easy to shift it you can't believe it.

That sold me and on any new vehicle I have owned from that time forward I have from new used noting but Synthetic oil.

BTW I have found no difference for myself between any of the makers I usually just buy the Synthetic oil on sale at Canadian tire or Walmart.

Rick.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Should try synthetic in my Focus tranny, cuz the 1-2 shift is really hard in winter. (5 speed)

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
That's where it worked for me.

Originally Posted by loudfords
Should try synthetic in my Focus tranny, cuz the 1-2 shift is really hard in winter. (5 speed)
Mind you my Transmission called for 5w30 motor oil yours may not or it may call for gear oil, check you owners manual before using.

Rick.