Pull engine or pull tranny????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 11:17 PM
1ole4d
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey all...I need to replace the rear main seal in my 351M badly but I'm debating on which way is going to be easier. I've been told pulling the motor out is easier than pulling the tranny and t-case, which after replacing the clutch a while back I'm might have to agree. A couple of hoses, a few wires and two motor mounts and bolts and it's out. what do you guys think? Pull the motor or pull the tranny and t-case

1978 F-150 flareside. Primitive by todays standards but she was a jaw dropper back then. :-staun

Old 06-03-2002, 03:22 AM
wayne_j
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently on day 3 of trying to replace my clutch. After this I'll never pull the tranny again unless I am installing a 5 speed or automatic. The next time it gets a new clutch the motor is coming out. It's safe to say if I had pulled the motor It would have only been a one day job.

Old 06-03-2002, 07:55 AM
shazam
Elder User

I can Pull the motor out of ShaZam in 45 Min. From pulling her in the shop and removing the hood.

Just have a good game plan and if you never done it before mark all the wires and hoses before you start.

Remove Hood, Drain Radiator remove the 8 bellhousing bolts, 2 motormounts nuts,4 torque convert Nuts if App. pull the starter, Alt., power steering, Gas line, Auto tranny line if app. Remove Radiator and hook out the motor.

Old 06-03-2002, 03:59 PM
rjcline
Senior User

I hope you guys are right because I'm replacing my clutch tonight !! After reading stuff at this site I too am pulling the motor !!! I will let you know how it goes but I doubt seriously I can beat 45 minutes lmao !!! I will be happy with less than two days and actually getting it back together.... thanks for the overall view shazam...i am going to take it one step at a time...I have a manual transmission so that should help ???

Wish me luck !

Old 06-03-2002, 05:13 PM
1979F150
Senior User

I just put my tranny and t case back in I would pull the motor it was much easier. That thing weighs a ton, but I put in my self with the help if a floor jack and 2 jack stands. Mine was a c6 np 203 hope I don't have to do it again.

Old 06-04-2002, 10:25 AM
wayne_j
Senior User

The c6 is easier to do than the 4 speed (if you can imagen that). You didn't have to worry about lining that input shaft up with the clutch/pilot bushing, all the while trying to push that tranny in place. My son and my self spent 3 days working on this thing. I could have yanked the eninge in about the same time has shazam if I had known better. Never pull the tranny/transfer on a manual setup. Just yank the engine. You'll be a lot happier.

Old 06-05-2002, 03:24 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1ole4d, Pull the motor. You will be able to get the oil pan off easier. Just alot easier access to what your needing to do anyway.

Old 06-05-2002, 11:46 PM
telesqrt
Junior User

Hope I'm not to late with this, but I only had to drop my oil pan on my 400. It was in a '79 F-350 4x4. It might be a differant story if in another type or year of vehical. Didn't remove the oil pan completely, just rested it on the front axle and worked around it. Good luck. Mike B.

Old 06-06-2002, 07:54 AM
rjcline
Senior User

Well pulling the motor was fairly simple..I am having a bit of a time putting it back in though...I think I need an extra pair of hands !!!

Would taking off the oil pan make it any easier? I only tried to put it back in for about 20 minutes last night due to darkness but seemed like I was having a hell of a time getting the motor "down" far enough to mate with the tranny.

Even with this slight delay I would definitly pull the motor again...Im not as fast as Shazam though. Took me about 2 hrs till it was swinging in the breeze but it was my first motor pulling and I was moving kinda carefull : )

Old 06-06-2002, 11:35 AM
bbtkd
Tuned

>I just put my tranny and t case back in I would pull the
>motor it was much easier. That thing weighs a ton, but I put
>in my self with the help if a floor jack and 2 jack stands.
>Mine was a c6 np 203 hope I don't have to do it again.

Did it by hand once - five of us removed and later re-installed my C6 without a tranny jack. We did it by hand! When we were putting it back in, I started to say "OK now put in the first bolt" but they heard "OK" and let go leaving me holding up the tranny with one arm under the pan (between pan and ground). Ouch...

Old 06-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rjcline, Do you have the front of the transmission raised up and supported with a jack?

Old 06-08-2002, 01:45 PM
351coupe
Elder User

Save yourself the hassle.As somebody mentioned before you can do it by dropping the pan!Raise the front of the truck and put jackstands under the FRAME to let the suspension sag to give you enough room.Remove all pan bolts and then reach up and remove the bolts holding in the oil pump(you need to do this to get the pan out).It is a 2 peice seal,use a sneaky pete to get the old one out and then slip the new one up and around.It may help to turn the motor over by hand also.I did an oil pump,main and rod bearings,rear main seal and oil pan gasket on my 78 bronco all from underneath!!Not as bad as you would think.Hope this saves you some aggravation!-Mike

Old 06-10-2002, 07:34 AM
rjcline
Senior User

lol funny you should say that SuperDave. The SECOND day I tried to put it back it I figured that out. Also I completely removed the motor mounts and that helped tremendously (Yes I replaced them since I had them out already : ). Once I pulled the mounts and jacked the tranny a bit it slid in there like they were made for each other

I want to thank everyone for all their help and I am glad to annouce that I drove my truck to work today !!! Although not with out some problems ! See my post New cluth / Good news Bad news.

Old 06-10-2002, 08:18 AM
335clevo
Senior User

Good news with your clutch,

The quickest way to remove a ford engine for me is:
Undo the bellhousing bolts, 2 engine mounts, fuel lines, wires, remove radiator, remove air-filter and place a rag down the throat of the carby, remove alternator, remove fan and remove distributor cap. If it's a 6 I tie a strap through the exaust manifold and loop the other end over the oil filter, if it's a V8 i put a strap between the 2 engine lifters on the sides. I then slightly raise the transmission with a jack, chain the tractor's boom to the strap, lift 3" or 4", to clear the engine mounts and drive forward 6" to pull the clutch out of the gearbox, then lift the engine up.

335C

Old 06-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Palmetto Kid
Freshman User

well, i think im gonna have to pull my 400 too. the engine is frozen up. it has been sitting for a while, and i would really like to get it to turn over. but after taking the spark plugs out and pouring diesel inside and letting it soak, i still cant get it to turn over. any ideas? i think the clutch is stuck to the flywheel too. so from reading this, i am seeing that i need to go ahead and pull the engine. but, is there any secret to getting that engine to turn over without taking it apart? i am coming to the conclusion that its too far gone, and im gonna have to tear into it anyway.
thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Pull engine or pull tranny????