1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'89 timing off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
jaboblount
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 timing off

1989 ford ranger super v6 2.9 2wd fuel injected. went to take the distributor cap off and the screws broke off in the distributor, so got a new distributor. my mistake was i did not mark any thing so now my timing is off. i would be very thankful for any help. this was supose to be a tune up now its become a pain. i know the passanger side front is number one piston and the firing order is 142536.if i am wroung let me know. i am no mechanic. so if anybody will help me i need to know step by step on what to do.
thanks again for any help

Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
jaboblount
New User
someone told me that i could just rotate the wires clockwise on the distributor ,until it fires, is this posible.meaning where number 4 is number 1 would go in number 4 place, where number 2 is 4 would go in its place and so forth .PLEASE HELP ME I NEED MY TRUCK

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
i would ask at this fourm theyll help u out,

rangerpowersports.com

and ur timing should prob be 8 -10dbtdc not sure specificly but thatll let it run until u do find out the exact number,

Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
This is probably covered in more detail in a Chilton's or a Haye's manual.

To make sure -- you replaced the whole distributor -- correct? You're not going to fix that by moving spark plug wires.

(If you just replaced the distributor cap, get a manual and find out where the plug wires go)

To set timing. general procedure.
Setup
Pull the plugs, disable the fuel pump, pull the power from the ignition coil

1. Crank the engine until #1 piston is coming up on a COMPRESSION stroke.
2. Stop the engine when the timing mark is aligned at 10BTDC (Ford static timing)
( You'll have to fool around to get this. With the plugs out, you might be able to turn it with the belt -- but, some engines can have problems if you turn them backwards. If you go past the mark, run it around again ( make sure that it's on a #1 Compression stroke)
3. Figure out about how the distributor should go in -- i.e. the TFI should line up about where you'r expect it.
4. Put the dis in -- and check to see if the rotor is lined up with #1
-- it will probably take several tries to do this. You can rotate the distributor to get there, but it should be in the middle of the adjustment range.
5. tighten the timing bolt, put everything back together

6. Disconnect the SPOUT (one pin ) connector

7. With luck, truck will start, and you can adjust the timing to exactly 10BTDC while its rinning.

8. Reconnect the SPOUT

This topic has been covered better on previous threads, but these are the general procedures.

ford2go

Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
jaboblount
New User
This Worked

Originally Posted by jaboblount
someone told me that i could just rotate the wires clockwise on the distributor ,until it fires, is this posible.meaning where number 4 is number 1 would go in number 4 place, where number 2 is 4 would go in its place and so forth .PLEASE HELP ME I NEED MY TRUCK
this worked, the guy told me that because i never messed with the internals like the timing chain that everything else was right just had to get the number one plug lined up with the rotor. maybe someone will make this sound a little better ,but i know i am not the only one that thought that the rotor on the distributor had to be lined up with number 1 piston .the rotor has to be line up to the number 1 plug on the distributor cap. i might be wroung by saying this but the way it sounds to me the rotor could be pointing to north, east, south ,or west just as long as the rotor is pointing toward number 1 plug wire. having the rotor turned the right way helps keep the wires neat.

just thought i would throw this in it might help someone else that was confused.thanks for the respones it really fells like someone cares.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
jaboblount
New User
Originally Posted by jaboblount

i had to do this about 4 or 5 times until it fired.