Sponsored by:

Help... Electric fan install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
offroad21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help... Electric fan install

I have searched...Installing Taurus fan 2 speed there are 3 wires..Black. which I know is Ground, Brown and brown with orange stripe. For highest speed, do you use just Brown, brown and Orange together or just Brown and orange? I want max air, but don't want to burn up motor.
Thanks
Russ

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Boba Fett
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you really need is a wiring diagram for that year Taurus!

I won't bore you with how to properly wire that in and figure you know that...... Ground the black and use an aligator to connect one of the other wires to the battery and see if the fan comes on. Try each wite individually. Then take a test light and test the wire not connected to the battery and see if the light comes on when the other lead of the test light is grounded.

If the light comes on you know that the other lead is to power something else when the fan is on, and you want to cap that lead and not use it.

If it does not power up and both make the fan spin then you can attach both to the positive post of the battery and see if the fan spins faster. I posit that it will not. I almost garuntee it will not.... but I am only guessing.

The Taurus you pulled the fan from likely had AC. Many times there are two leads to the fan because both the engine temp guage and AC system can turn the fan on.

Usually fan speed is controlled by the fan switch in the dash and a resistor that is connected to that switch, like a dimmer switch in your house. So since you have no reisitor your fan will always run at full speed.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 2 speed Taurus fans available. They are very popular with the 4wd and hot rod guys. Thats what it sounds like you have.

I found a couple of wiring diagrams, but nothing with the wire colors that you have. The way that BF recommended is the way I would hook it up to figure out low and high. Hook the black to ground, and alternate between the other 2 to determine which one is high speed.

Jason