Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Use a different IP and injectors on my 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM
petepetersen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a different IP and injectors on my 7.3

I need to replace the DB-5013 IP and injectors on my 1994 7.3 E4OD . Can I use an earlier (pre-1993 either 6.9 / 7.3 ) model pump and injectors ? Details please . - Thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 AM
DT 466Man
Posting Guru
you should be able to.....although you will have to swap over some of the bracketry to the new pump. i would look closely at both pumps to make sure everything will bolt up before you tear it out of the truck.

the auto trans will have some sensors that need to go on the new IP

DT

Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a factory turbo? if so I wouldn't recomend it. For the injectors look at the leter code its located on one of the flats of the hex on the injector. if you get injectors with that code you wont have any problems. they should be e codes if non tubo or g codes if it came from ford with the turbo.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
petepetersen
Senior User
It is NA (not a turbo) . The current injectors are code E to match the the model pump I have . I would switch to the older injector to match the older model pump . I just wondered if there could be any differences in 6.9 and eariler model Stanadyne DB2 Ford IDI injection pumps ( eg advance or fuel output) that would cause problems if used on the 1993-1994 7.3 . - Thanks

Originally Posted by George D.
Do you have a factory turbo? if so I wouldn't recomend it. For the injectors look at the leter code its located on one of the flats of the hex on the injector. if you get injectors with that code you wont have any problems. they should be e codes if non tubo or g codes if it came from ford with the turbo.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only real differnce I could see is you may have less power but you could always turn the fule screw in. you might want to try to search this topic I think I've seen it come up befor.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
petepetersen
Senior User
It appears that some of the earlier model IPs will fit ( linkage / AT stuff ) . However it is my ondersanding that the code E injections are mean to be compatible with the DB2-5028 or DB-5013 IPs ( have a slightly higher pop pressure . Does this matter in the real world ? Would I have to change the injectors to the early model codes to be compatible with the early model IPs ?
--Thanks