1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New gallery and hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
46pickup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New gallery and hello

I'm a relatively new owner- I bought this '55 last August. Since that time this site has been a great source of information- thanks to all the contributors. I've just created an album. This truck actually looks better in the pics than up close, but I'm having a blast with it. After a couple close calls with the old brakes I've upgraded to front discs and am happy with the change. For the time being everything else will remain "as is"

I've been interested in these trucks since learning to drive in a '52 F1 in the 60's. That truck was was my father's- bought new for $1675 with all the options except V8. That truck was completely rusted out and off the road by '63. By the time I was playing with it around 1970 the bonus built trucks were very rare in New England (at least it seemed to me)

Were the rust problems in these trucks due to the grade of steel, the "dirt capturing" fender designs, or the coatings (or lack of)?

This new (to me) truck was brought up from Texas about 12 years ago and has minor rust. How do I continue to use it but preserve it as much as possible? I'm using POR 15 on the frame and underside of the fenders. I won't be driving it much in the winter (no heater so far) but I do like to go for ride on a good day. Do I have to pressure wash each time I take it out?

Thanks,
Bert

Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Good looking ride man!! Welcome to the "Henry Ford Clinic" for F100's There's alot of good guys here and even some of them know what they're doing! Welcome aboard!!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,828 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Wow! gorgeous truck!!

I can't tell you what you need to do to preserve your truck. Its not such and issue out here in the dry dessert....lol

Sounds like you are having fun with it. Thats awesome!
Bobby

Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow very nice truck welcome

Old 02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
First off welcome to FTE, you'll love this site, the members are very helpful and we also have quite a few comedians as well. They'll say funny things from time to time i.e. your truck is too new. But all in all you'll have a great time and get worlds of knowledge from these guys, their great don't know what i'de do without them. And as for your truck, looks great!! any ideas on what you are going to do with the engine???

Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Hi and congrats Bert on your sweet driver. Front discs are a good and well worth while up grade.
As for the rust problems I doubt it has anything to do with the grade of steel but the combination of "dirt capturing" design and the general lack of any protection such as paint or under coating. We have a big problem here with salt and potash waste used on winter roads to help prevent icy conditons, vehicles rust quickly.
Using POR 15 or under coating on the frame, underside of the fenders will help alot.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Bert, a big welcome to you sir. You have a very nice looking effie there. It looks very stright and solid. Sure does look like a keeper.
Jon

Old 02-15-2008, 05:53 PM
homade
Posting Guru
good looking ride, don't let it rust anymore than it has cause it's in great shape, have you looked at some of the trucks some of us started withand mine still don't look that good,good to have you along for the ride,buckle up and hang on cause it will be exciting........................ye ha.........................

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM
going slow
Senior User
looks clean.. very good truck to start a project with or just drive...wich every one should be fun... welcome

Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very sharp ride; Welcome aboard great to see another one influence by the Blue Oval!!

Mitch

Old 02-15-2008, 07:37 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
What a great Truck ! Welcome.

How do those spare tire carriers hold up ? Seems like a lot of mass up high to keep anchored given the bump and grind of driving. Just curious.....

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Welcome Bert!! , Seems you already have a handle on things..thats Great!! Good looking ride you got there , Keep it going!!
Any questions you have , this may be the place to get answers...multiple choice of course..LoL Welcome and Good Luck!!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
frigerator
Elder User
Welcome to the family. Great looking truck. Glad to see someone else keep the spare tire mount. Looking at your engine pic I think You should get a longer fuel line and get that fuel filter away from your exaust manifold. That would be a bad place to get a leak.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Wow!! Looks "showroom" compared to mine. Welcome to FTE!!!!!!

Gil

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by 46pickup
...... How do I continue to use it but preserve it as much as possible? I'm using POR 15 on the frame and underside of the fenders. I won't be driving it much in the winter (no heater so far) but I do like to go for ride on a good day. Do I have to pressure wash each time I take it out?

Thanks,
Bert
Welcome. Very sharp truck!
I'm originally from northeast Ohio, the salted-road capital of the world.

My solution to prevent rust on trucks was to move to Montana. Works great!

I haven't used POR-15, but I did use Eastwood's rust encapsulator with chassis black paint over it. It is super tough. 7 years of country gravel roads and mag-chloride in town and the frame paint is still intact.

I also used epoxy primer followed by duraliner inside the fenders. It works but the rough texture is impossible to clean. Next truck I'll just use the rust encapsulator or black epoxy primer and chassis black inside the fenders as well.

Quick Reply: New gallery and hello