Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2002 escape power steering noisy

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
toopy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 escape power steering noisy

I bought my wife an 02 Escape 4X4 back in August or sometime near there.

I don't drive it much and tonight I got in to go to town. As soon as I started it I heard the noise, sounds like its low on p/s fluid. So I get out to check and its almost full. Then I noticed some red snow under where she had parked it last night. She has an autostart, so I assume it leaked this morning while she had it idleing. From a quick visual inspection I can't see where it leaked from.
I haven't drove this thing in at least a month. When I asked her how long it was noisy, I got the "What noise?" answer. The weather has been below -20C for a few nights now also.

So anyway, almost full, noisy during idle and driving, small red spot of snow, -20C weather......What do you fellers think? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. Is this a normal problem with these things when cold. She also told me tonight the "low coolant light thingy" has been coming on in the mornings for a bit. Not worried about that as much as I am the p/s noise. W/O looking I'm assuming the light goes out when the coolant warms and expands.

TIA

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
DSofT
New User
I guess it's water in the power steering pipeline. It freezes and blocks the pipe, so pump throws some ATF out. If noise goes out after the car is driven for some time, then it's likely something freezes there. Get the PS flushed, it's not too expensive procedure.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM
toopy
New User
I parked her Escape inside the heated garage overnight. Next morning started it up, same thing, noisy. The fluid is a wee bit low so I will fill it up and see. Is there a filter on these Escapes for the p/s? If not, only thing I can see is the p/s pump has taken a dump. My cost is $100 for a new pump so maybe I'll throw one on it unless anyone has anything else they can think of.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
toopy
New User
Filled the Escape up full,noise finally stopped. So there has to be a reason it was low. We have a pit in the floor at work so I took it there and got under it.

The passenger side is covered with p/s fluid. Everything is so frigging compacted together it's hard to tell where its coming from. The p/s container is dry but I can't see the p/s pump at all. There seems to be 2 lines which I'm assuming are p/s running from serp belt side, under engine to drivers side. These 2 lines have wet spots on them, but again so hard to see if and where they are leaking. Most of the p/s fluid under the car is right below the serp belt. I figure it's gotta be coming from the pump or the lines near the pump. Whats the best way to get a good look at the p/s pump, take the wheel off or ?? If I have to replace the lines, how do you get at them and where do they go? This is why I love my truck, much easier to work on!

Sorry for all the questions but I'm on limited time to work on this thing, and it can't afford to be down for long. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
toopy
New User
Cooler return line had a pin hole in it. Would only leak when cold, made it hard to find.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 AM
pacrewchief
Senior User
That the easy way to find a leak, park it outside on a cold night!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
toopy
New User
It's my wifes daily driver, I very seldom sit in it. She just happened to start it while I was outside and I noticed where it was leaking from. Every other time I looked for the leak it was warm and couldn't find it.