Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Hand tools comparable to older US-made Craftsman?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:05 PM
One Sock
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hand tools comparable to older US-made Craftsman?

I was shipping my tools to Alaska for summer work, and they've all been destroyed in a mail truck fire. http://www.alaskasnewssource.com/202...ps-truck-fire/

The real bummer is, most of my tools (sockets, wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers) were at least 10 year old Craftsman, made in USA; some I even inherited from my grampa. I'm disinclined to replace them all with the newer Chinese-made junk. And spending months hunting around on flea bay and crudlist is not an option.

I don't much care for Snap-on; too overhyped and overpriced, and I never really cared for their ratchets (personal opinion). I'm looking into other brands (e.g. Gearwrench, SK) but they all seem to be Chinese. Is there anything else, similar in quality and price to the older Craftsmen, and preferably USA-made?

If all else fails, I'll just have to go to Home Depot and get a bunch of Husky tools and hope they don't break. (There's no Harbor Freight in AK.)

Old 05-03-2022, 03:45 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Soooo,.. you want Snap on quality and HF price. Yeah good luck with that lol. I've still got some real old Craftsman tools like you describe and they are indeed well made by 1940's robust standards, as a professional mechanic I can honestly say Snap on hand tools are superior in every way to all other tools except in price.

Cornwell and Mac are good tools if you can find a truck, online sales might be possible, dunno.

Blackhawk iirc are made in usa or were and from the time I've had with them, they do appear to be quality made and fairly reasonable. Given a choice with a tight budget I'd opt for them exclusively over all others.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:04 PM
One Sock
Tuned
Originally Posted by RLXXI
Soooo,.. you want Snap on quality and HF price.
No... I want quality "comparable to older US-made Craftsman." Have used them for years with no issues, and I'd be willing to pay more than China-tool prices for something similar... but not $10k or so for Snap-on. The cheapo HF/HD tools being a last-ditch option if all else fails.

Thanks for the Blackhawk ref. Unfortunately, every web site I'm finding says "product has been discontinued."

Old 05-03-2022, 05:28 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by One Sock
Thanks for the Blackhawk ref. Unfortunately, every web site I'm finding says "product has been discontinued."
Hmm, well. HF tools are complete junk, I know from experience so your best bet is likely the big box home improvement stores, they do carry a line of tools with a lifetime warranty.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:28 PM
TB250
More Turbo
Received 250 Likes on 157 Posts
You might look at Proto https://www.protoindustrial.com/en/Pages/Default.aspx# but it's probable they've gotten on the high horse and jacked their prices up as well.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:32 PM
Jimmy's Pilot Service
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 175 Posts
https://www.tekton.com

I have been adding some tools lately and this company has quality items.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-03-2022, 08:57 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
The ratcheting combination wrenches from Olsa Tools seem to be pretty decent thus far, although not USA-made.

https://olsatools.com/products/100-t...ing-wrench-set

Old 05-04-2022, 09:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Unfortunately the old USA tool brands have either gone out of business or been acquired by a Chiwanese outfit and their quality taking a slide downhill. I do buy SK Tools but look for the USA made stuff---great tools that are some of the better affordable tools that don't need to apologize to anyone for their products.

GearWrench is one of the better brands available and while made "off shore" they're fairly priced and seem to have a good life span. Cornwell and Mac along with Snap-On have their imported products but for the most part looking online at any of the individual tools they'll list the Country of Origin.

My all time favorite tools is Wright Tool Company of Barberton, Ohio: https://www.wrighttool.com/ They're right up there with Snap On IMHO, I have their torque wrenches and various hand wrenches impact sockets too They'd be my #1 recommendation for the old time Craftsman quality. They are sold online through eBay etc etc which is ultra convenient, at least for me.

I do have a few of their various drive size hand ratchets, one even a 3/4" that could do double duty as a sledge hammer. Those tools are strong and while I certainly don't over work or abuse my stuff they've been failure free for 20 years. The only time I replace a Wright Tool is when I've lost one.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy's Pilot Service
https://www.tekton.com

I have been adding some tools lately and this company has quality items.
Yes, them and S-K tools

Old 05-04-2022, 10:36 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Not sure who makes SK these days. They went bankrupt in 2010. One site says that they were bought by Ideal tool and made in the US. Another says that they are now made in China.

Of course since it's the internet, there are no dates on the articles.

hj

Old 05-07-2022, 05:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
For a person who makes his living with his hands and tools, I'd suggest buying the best that can be afforded at the time. As for the hobbiest / shade tree guy like me, Kobalt and Husky tools are fine and carry a lifetime warranty.

I don't much like the idea of buying Chinese made stuff but hell, you can't even get a coffee maker made in America anymore.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Here's a link to tool mfgs that are mfg in the US..... It appears the new owners of craftsman are back here again. I will say this, I had to replace a craftsman ratchet (warranty- old school) and the new one was actually good... I found the spring in the ratchet assembly a little weak, shimmed it and it's as good as my old school ratchet was....remember also that Craftsman has it's pro-line as well and they appear to be very nice quality!

What Tools Are Made in the USA? - Pro Tool Reviews

American Made Tools & Parts | Made in USA Tools LLC

I would also look at Tektron....
Where are Tekton Tools Made: Who Makes Tekton Tools? (framingnailersguide.com)

Old 05-11-2022, 03:58 PM
One Sock
Tuned
Anyone tried the Dewalt brand sockets/ratchets/wrenches? Looks like they're made in Taiwan, but they get good reviews.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I read a tool matchup article in Hot Rod or some car mag years ago. Autozone's Duralast ratchet actually held up above all others, very surprisingly... IIRC, they measured the amount of torque it could take before failure.
I have a set of thier ratcheting wrenches and have no complaints.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
eBay and Craigslist, are your best bet.