Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
1rocn4x
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't driven I-80 between Chicago and Sac during the winter, only around june. But, 2 summers ago ('06?) we made the trip and just past cheyenne, Wy we were stopped for almost 5 hrs due to 6-9in of snow on the pass. they were turning traffic around at cheyenne just after we went by. There are ALOT of LONG streches of open road in those states between gas stations, I carried 2 5 gal jugs of diesel just in case (used em 1 time too!!). Nice drive, long and almost always a %#@# head wind!
Take ur time and it will be much more enjoyable. This summer I was triing to get to Haines, Or before my Grandmother died, made it from Chicago to within about 30-40 miles of Boise, Id without stopping (1830 miles, 24hrs). Brutal drive that way. have fun and be safe

Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Fugazi
Freshman User
Thanks, bringing extra fuel is another great tip.

Our X is a V10 4x4 XLT no mods (yet )

My brother in-law who also just bought a 2005 XLT has one of those Predator DX2 which came with his truck. When would I need one of those and what exactly is it for? I know it has something to do with trailer brakes, but other than that, I have no clue mechanically how they work. Would it be easy to install, how much are they and does anybody have one for sale?

Thank you guys!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
fugazi,

Speaking of trailer brakes...does your trailer have its own? If not...I'd check the laws on the states you are pulling thru as state laws vary greatly with regards to what weight trailers REQUIRE brakes...some none, some 2000# and some 3000#...so if yours does NOT have brakes...I'd check.

I ask because you made mention of 'has something to do with trailer brakes'...that lead me to believe (maybe incorrectly) that yours did NOT have brakes.

Just a thought...as stopping on less than perfect pavement takes longer for the Ex...throw in being pushed by an extra 3000#'s...and stops could be dangerous...

joe.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM
1rocn4x
Freshman User
We were going to take the Ex (05 xlt v-10 3.73) but we took to polaris sportsman so we needed to take my truck instead. (Sorry, but yes its a cough cough dodge).
There are enough long streches in the midwest states that I for sure would take xtra fuel in the trailer( especially west of Salt lk city across the salt flats, into nevada and out in wy and neb, iowa........). one nice thing though, generly between Cal and Illinois fuel is alittle cheaper. Illinois goes back up, about the same as Cal.

Be prepared for some serious grades up the sierra nevada's, up out of Salt Lk.
All in all, not a bad trip, and more so if you are not pressed for time and can take more than acouple of days (3+ days would be nice).

And i can't stress enough the head and side winds. a thread on hear earlier about mpgs was right on track. mpg's are not affected AS much by wieght of trailer as they are by the wind, and there is alot of wind out there lol.

one of our trips was pulling a trailer somewhere between 2-3k lbs. fuel was about the same until the winds, then it really dropped (mpg's went from 15ish to about 10ish).

good luck, and of course have fun, isn't that the point of a cross country trip, if not, I think we'ed all just fly!!!