1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

RODDOORS Interior Panels...Covering ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RODDOORS Interior Panels...Covering ???

Hey All,
I have the Roddoors ABS panels for my '54, one back panel, one headliner panel and the four corner sections...
Do you cover each one separatly and then install or do you install all then try to cover after they are in place?
Which has worked better for those of you out there who have them?
I'm leaning towards the cover then install each section Idea , gonna be using vinyl cover over the the pink foam padding like on my door panels.
thanks for any advice...I'll be sipping on a couple of "cold one's" and contemplating my next move!
later, Ed

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey man, you kind of got me stumped? I've never used them in one of our trucks? I usually make my own when I do it. From what you're telling me, I think I would "mock" them up and dry fit them with duct tape to hold them together. Then put some thin plywood behind them and either rivet them together or staple them together if you have a pnuematic stapler. After you've fitted them (I'm assuming you're mainly talking about the rear panel) trim off the excess from the top if necessary, and on the sides of the cab if necessary? Then after you've put them together, go to the edges of the cab (door jamb area) drop back as far as you can and still catch metal and drill some 1/8" holes. Don't glue the padding real tight to the very edges of that area. Then take the panel out and cover it, except for the door edges area. Peel the foam back, and screw the panel in place (not too tight) then "tuck" the covering (vinyl or whatever) under that "flap".

I can't quite place the corners of the headliner setup? But I'll try? The one I'm doing currently, I'm going to staple some plywood behind the headliner board so it will go behind the original headliner pinchweld. That way I can cover the headliner and install it and nothing will show. If you can post some pics so I can see what you have? There are so many different designs out there it's hard to visualize over the net?

I hope this helps a little bit anyway? Good luck!!

Feel free to email me trucks1956@yahoo.com

Later dude

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
e william
Elder User
Hey Truxx, The abs roddoors panels have a built in channel or notch that the panels fit together and also the edge of the cab (where the old style rubber retainer would be) also fits into a channel of the panel...so a backer plywood panel prabably wouldnt be need to keep in place...I understand the way your saying you would do it.
I'll post some pics of my attempts, I think I'm gonna try to cover as individual pieces then install and tuck the edges...hey, if it doesnt turn out good I'll pull it out and try another way!
Thanks for the advice, Ed

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
The install method is in the roddoors website. I have a few pics from goodguys, they are upholstered piece at a time and then attached with the supplied hook/loop (not velcro) but normally pop off. Some guys just use glue to attach to the truck after upholstering each part. The door panels are nothing more than a semi-sculted abs panel that you cover yourself. Some are designed by famous dudes (like Sid Shavers ) http://www.roddoors.com/
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 01-26-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I have Roddoors panels also.I am covering my panels individually.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fatfenders did this and posted some good info as I recall. Try searching his threads.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
e william
Elder User
Thanks for the info!
I started Sunday and got all of the abs sections fitting comfortably, allowing extra room for the vinyl when covered. I had to trim the tabs on the back of the panels nearest the door jam so they would fit easily and trimmed apx. 3\8" off the bottom of the rear cab section to allow for carpet to be tucked under the edge. I have the foam glued to the 4 corner sections and will do more later this week on my day off.
I think the most challenging thing will be to get the vinyl to cover the odd shaped edges without a pucker or use of a pleat....we'll see!
I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
thanks again for the info and anything else anyone has to add.
Ed